Paul Warne on Sportscene for full hour 1st August

Srg

13 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Not at all most people have been complementary of the interview as I’m sure I will be too. I think Warne is refreshing in his openness. 

But I am struggling to understand why more people aren’t concerned with our firepower and just seem easy breezy with it all.

I’m optimistic about this season because I was impressed with how we played against the Chip Eaters and Sheff Utd

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

That's why the post started with "If".

Fair point.  This is all subjective IMO.  
We are lucky to have Max .

This will be his defining season .

Rooney loved him  

If he left to further his career then so be it .

Give him the captains arm band to encourage him to stay .

I love him as a footballer. 

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

To you maybe.

Perhaps he keeps discussions about his professional future between him, his employer, his agent, and very close family?  🤷‍♂️

His right as for any professional Footballer 

If Man U came in it’s a no brainier 

Edited by Curtains

2 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Past comms from the club have indicated we are no longer under restrictions from EFl or at least these have been eased. Clowes said we have a big budget. Neither of these statements are consistent with what Warne has said or with the summer activity so far. So who is telling the truth.. is Warne just bluffing? 

Yes, I believe he is bluffing. It would be plain stupid for him to admit to having a significant budget, whilst future deals are yet to be done. I also understand that we missed out on May because of the player's wage demands, if this was the case then we must have agreed a transfer fee beforehand and our financial position can only have improved since then, with player and season ticket sales.

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Indeed.  That was my point.  

So why do you state "He hasn’t indicated that though"?

He may well have done... just not to us lot on here!  

Of course you are right on this.  I just think from Warnies comments last night he has no urgency to leave. 

7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Indeed.  That was my point.  

So why do you state "He hasn’t indicated that though"?

He may well have done... just not to us lot on here!  

Do you know this for a fact either? 😄

Warne indicated that he talked to Bird and he was happy here.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you know this for a fact either? 😄

Warne indicated that he talked to Bird and he was happy here.

There is no "fact" in my post.  It literally uses the words "may", "have", and "done"!
 It was structured in such a way as to cover my arse, and to confirm I know no facts... at all... ever!

The phrase I was referring to previously... ""He hasn’t indicated that though"... is structured to hint at fact.

Even Paul Warne himself couldn't state that same comment as fact... unless he added the words "to" and "me" at the end of it!

PS:

So kindly take that 😁 back, as your attempt to ridicule me in public has failed... miserably... which in itself, is quite an achievement!  🤣

Edited by Mucker1884

The less than optimistic fans appear to have 3 main gripes:

1. Paul Warne - personality and tactics

2. Not replaced McGoldrick with 20 goal striker

3. Not spent money in transfer market (especially Bielik & Knight monies).

1. If some people don't like Warne, they will not be persuaded otherwise. To me, he is a breath of fresh air, honest, down to earth, "says it as he sees it". Prefer that to non-communicative people we have had in the past. Everyone knows what he wants - staff, players and fans. Now he nearly has the personnel he wants, we shall see what his tactics and style of play are. Lets give it half a dozen games (Home and Away) before we make a judgement.

3. We have brought in Bradley, Nelson,  - to replace Davies, Stearman, & Chester. Much as I love and admire Curtis Davies, his time had come. Bradley & Nelson are a huge improvement in our defence from last year and we still have Cashin and the dependable Forsyth when required.

Although there have been the occasional shaky moment against Championship & Premier League opposition, I think they have already shown a vast improvement in aggression and organisation in defence. Last year we conceded 46 goals (4th best in the League). I shall be disappointed if we concede 35 this year. I would also expect the number of penalties we concede to be greatly reduced, owing to their experience.

Haydn Roberts has chosen to go elsewhere, but potentially Elder is a better, experienced replacement (yet to be proved I know).

Also at wing back is Ward, who has already probably produced more quality crosses into the box than we had last year.

Bradley, Nelson & Ward will be on very decent money (probably more than those they have succeeded), together with their Agents fees.

Our Transfer Budget, as we keep reminding people, comprises of wages, agents fees and transfer fees. 

Wilson & Washington have yet to make impacts due to injuries, but the glimpses we have seen have been promising.

2. We scored 67 goals in the league last year (7th highest in League) - McGoldrick 22.

Replacing those goals is, I think, the biggest challenge.

But I am optimistic. Unlike others, I expect us to score at least 10 from deadball situations - we look threatening right now. Ward's crossing will produce more goals. I just see more goals coming from open play because we have better quality going forward (Ward, Elder, Wilson).

Collins & Washington will both get double figures and there is still plenty of time for new additions.

In summary, I believe we have spent quite a bit of money on our new signings. The pre-season injuries, niggles have been disappointing but I firmly believe if we can get a reasonable start, we will get better and better as the new players gel. Call me optimistic but I think we will concede no more than 35 goals and at least match last years goals scored of 67. Still time to add goals in the transfer market or loan market.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Do 20 goal forwards not exist in L1 then? We'll have a top 3 wage budget and a top 6 player budget once transfer fees are accounted for. It's not unreasonable to expect to get a 20 goal forward when we should also expect to br challenging for automatic promotion. That's not to say we need one to achieve that goal.

Out of the last 5 seasons, there have been 20 occasions where a player reached 20 goals. 9 were free signings.

How many of the 20 played for clubs who got promoted in that specific season?

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

The less than optimistic fans appear to have 3 main gripes:

1. Paul Warne - personality and tactics

2. Not replaced McGoldrick with 20 goal striker

3. Not spent money in transfer market (especially Bielik & Knight monies).

1. If some people don't like Warne, they will not be persuaded otherwise. To me, he is a breath of fresh air, honest, down to earth, "says it as he sees it". Prefer that to non-communicative people we have had in the past. Everyone knows what he wants - staff, players and fans. Now he nearly has the personnel he wants, we shall see what his tactics and style of play are. Lets give it half a dozen games (Home and Away) before we make a judgement.

3. We have brought in Bradley, Nelson,  - to replace Davies, Stearman, & Chester. Much as I love and admire Curtis Davies, his time had come. Bradley & Nelson are a huge improvement in our defence from last year and we still have Cashin and the dependable Forsyth when required.

Although there have been the occasional shaky moment against Championship & Premier League opposition, I think they have already shown a vast improvement in aggression and organisation in defence. Last year we conceded 46 goals (4th best in the League). I shall be disappointed if we concede 35 this year. I would also expect the number of penalties we concede to be greatly reduced, owing to their experience.

Haydn Roberts has chosen to go elsewhere, but potentially Elder is a better, experienced replacement (yet to be proved I know).

Also at wing back is Ward, who has already probably produced more quality crosses into the box than we had last year.

Bradley, Nelson & Ward will be on very decent money (probably more than those they have succeeded), together with their Agents fees.

Our Transfer Budget, as we keep reminding people, comprises of wages, agents fees and transfer fees. 

Wilson & Washington have yet to make impacts due to injuries, but the glimpses we have seen have been promising.

2. We scored 67 goals in the league last year (7th highest in League) - McGoldrick 22.

Replacing those goals is, I think, the biggest challenge.

But I am optimistic. Unlike others, I expect us to score at least 10 from deadball situations - we look threatening right now. Ward's crossing will produce more goals. I just see more goals coming from open play because we have better quality going forward (Ward, Elder, Wilson).

Collins & Washington will both get double figures and there is still plenty of time for new additions.

In summary, I believe we have spent quite a bit of money on our new signings. The pre-season injuries, niggles have been disappointing but I firmly believe if we can get a reasonable start, we will get better and better as the new players gel. Call me optimistic but I think we will concede no more than 35 goals and at least match last years goals scored of 67. Still time to add goals in the transfer market or loan market.

Fair points and I agree on the goals conceded.

My main gripe is with the expected formation of 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-1-2 I possibly see this more as 7 defensive players and 3 attacking players. When I see it in reality, I need to look at the midfield four (the wingbacks plus Bird and CH) as attackers rather than defensive players.

If the additional player is Korey Smith rather than an attacking player, I would be genuinely worried.

If his culture is that we play three attacking players, with two wing backs and two CM's who are genuinely given permission to venture forward - and therefore we trust the three CB's left on the pitch to cover us defensively, then happy days. Two more attacking players minimum and we have an excellent team.

Right now - I see games with 0-0 written all over them.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Fair points and I agree on the goals conceded.

My main gripe is with the expected formation of 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-1-2 I possibly see this more as 7 defensive players and 3 attacking players. When I see it in reality, I need to look at the midfield four (the wingbacks plus Bird and CH) as attackers rather than defensive players.

If the additional player is Korey Smith rather than an attacking player, I would be genuinely worried.

If his culture is that we play three attacking players, with two wing backs and two CM's who are genuinely given permission to venture forward - and therefore we trust the three CB's left on the pitch to cover us defensively, then happy days. Two more attacking players minimum and we have an excellent team.

Right now - I see games with 0-0 written all over them.

Warne spoke post match on Saturday about how he wants the wide cbs to be brave and push forward. I think he’s looking to play a version of Chris Wilder’s Sheff Utd tactics that were so successful in the Championship a few years back. 

7 hours ago, Idiakez said:

I think people look for things that aren’t there when he’s speaking. To me, he comes across as an honest, hardworking, enthusiastic individual who will no doubt put his all into this club no matter the circumstances. He was open about not wanting to lose Knight but having his hands tied, he’s open about not being able to bring in the perfect striker, what else do you want him to say? Then there are those who dissect every little comment as if he’s speaking in riddles. He’s just a bloke, he’s not a Marvel villain delivering a monologue before a big fight with Captain America. There is no further meaning behind his comments, he just says what he sees/feels. 

Brilliant !! Great post 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne spoke post match on Saturday about how he wants the wide cbs to be brave and push forward. I think he’s looking to play a version of Chris Wilder’s Sheff Utd tactics that were so successful in the Championship a few years back. 

He also said that there's a regular goalscorer within Korey Smith and wants him getting forward more. Said something about his kids thinking that if he hasn't scored or assisted in a game it means he was the worst player on the pitch, and he wants to see Korey happy and making his kids proud. Words to that effect anyway, I can't remember the exact quote.

...which when coupled with idea of the CBs also regularly getting forward & overlapping is actually a bit worrying tbh.

We may have bought in (possibly) the best defence in the league but they're still not the quickest and we've already seen that teams can expose us on the break.

Hopefully there's a bit more nuance to it, otherwise it could prove a rather foolhardy approach.

Hope Max is not made captain 

I’d like to see him continue his progression without the captains responsibilities and let him concentrate on his game , he’s been very good so far in pre season without the armband and also doesn’t come across as a natural leader for me 

Bradley or Hourihane for me players who have experience of rallying the team when it’s a freezing windswept night away from home 

21 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Lyrics

I try to discover
A little something to make me sweeter
Oh baby refrain from breaking my heart
I'm so in love with you
I'll be forever blue
That you gimme no reason
Why you make-a-me work so hard

That you gimme no
That you gimme no
That you gimme no
That you gimme no

Soul, I hear you calling
Oh baby, please, give a little respect to me

And if I should falter
Would you open you arms out to me?
We can make love not war
And live at peace with our hearts
I'm so in love with you
I'll be forever blue
What religion or reason
Could drive a man to forsake his lover?

Don't you tell me no
Don't you tell me no
Don't you tell me no
Don't you tell me no

Soul, I hear you calling

I'm so in love with you
I'll be forever blue
That you gimme no reason
You know you make-a-me work so hard

That you gimme no
That you gimme no
That you gimme no
That you gimme no

Soul, I hear you calling

Soul, I hear you calling

I’m gonna struggle with some of those high notes 

10 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

He also said that there's a regular goalscorer within Korey Smith and wants him getting forward more. Said something about his kids thinking that if he hasn't scored or assisted in a game it means he was the worst player on the pitch, and he wants to see Korey happy and making his kids proud. Words to that effect anyway, I can't remember the exact quote.

...which when coupled with idea of the CBs also regularly getting forward & overlapping is actually a bit worrying tbh.

We may have bought in (possibly) the best defence in the league but they're still not the quickest and we've already seen that teams can expose us on the break.

Hopefully there's a bit more nuance to it, otherwise it could prove a rather foolhardy approach.

Aye