Twitter Rebrand to ๐•

Day

17 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Have to say he looks in great condition for the upcoming cage fight, though that's a fair portion of chips and I'd be advising him to cut down on the carbs if he wants to be entering the ring looking as dench as he does now.

Zuckerberg is going to have his hands full, in more ways than oneย ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

I'd advise him to cram every single chip in his mouth and up his nose, then try to breathe in.

Wow, I just thought Musk was some rich A-hole that had no relevance. Didn't realise he was so blantanly into destroying democracy!

Elon Muskย last week endorsed a McGregor run for office, posting that it was โ€œnot a bad ideaโ€. The billionaire also assailed Irelandโ€™s taoiseach,ย Leo Varadkar. โ€œThe Irish PM hates the Irish people,โ€ he posted to 164 million followers. โ€œThe current Irish government clearly cares more about praise from woke media than their own people.โ€ Musk also criticised a plan to widen laws to tackle incitement to hatred on social media platforms. โ€œSuppression of the Irish people is the real crime,โ€ he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/29/dublin-riots-conor-mcgregor-accuses-irish-officials-making-him-scapegoat

Turns twitter into a business that advertisers won't condone. Realises isolating his business from the people who will fund it could kill his company. Doubles down anyway. Hmm... Genius.ย 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67574396

In a profanity-laced outburst, Elon Musk has slammed advertisers that have left X, warning they will kill the social media platform.

"Go [expletive] yourself," the billionaire said in an interview.

"I don't want them to advertise," Mr Musk said at the New York Times' DealBook Summit.

"If someone is going to blackmail me with advertising or money go [expletive] yourself"ย 

ย last month appeared to personally back an antisemitic conspiracy theory.

"I'm sorry for that tweet... it might be literally the worst and dumbest post that I've ever done," he said on Wednesday.

Not sure mate - you've given yourself a lot of competitionย ๐Ÿ˜‚

Proper LOLs at his "I don't want you to advertise with us" rant.

It's like a classic schoolboy reaction to being dumped -ย  "actually I don't even WANT to go out with you any more"

and the "everyone will know that you killed X" is gaslighting in the extreme. Take some responsibility for you actions Space Karen!

6 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Wheels are off completely now. He's just told advertisers threatening to pull their business over his outbursts to, 'go f*** yourselves', which I think pretty much tells its own storyย ๐Ÿ˜‚

He doesn't care about the advertisers. He didn't buy Twitter for the revenue. He bought it for the influence.ย 

It's like GB news. No chance of making a profit but every chance of setting the agenda.

19 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

He doesn't care about the advertisers. He didn't buy Twitter for the revenue. He bought it for the influence.ย 

It's like GB news. No chance of making a profit but every chance of setting the agenda.

Yep, that's what I meant by 'tells its own story'. To be honest, it's felt that way from the off and more so with the benefit of hindsight. He's apparently lost 3 million UK users already, but they are all tofu munching wokerati like me and it does seem that's the plan.

I don't care about the Elon Musk/Twitter drama, you could do away with all social media for me and the world would be a better place, but this guy has a point.ย  We saw with Brexit and to a much larger degree Covid, that we are now very much living in a Corporatocracy.

ย 

13 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Turns twitter into a business that advertisers won't condone. Realises isolating his business from the people who will fund it could kill his company. Doubles down anyway. Hmm... Genius.ย 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67574396

In a profanity-laced outburst, Elon Musk has slammed advertisers that have left X, warning they will kill the social media platform.

"Go [expletive] yourself," the billionaire said in an interview.

"I don't want them to advertise," Mr Musk said at the New York Times' DealBook Summit.

"If someone is going to blackmail me with advertising or money go [expletive] yourself"ย 

From the Verge...

"Antagonizing his old advertisers points in the exact same direction that Muskโ€™s boring endorsement of antisemitism pointed: He is no longer interested in salvaging Twitter as a business. As a financial investment, he has taken $44 billion (mostly his and his banksโ€™ money, with a few billion coming from other investors) and lit it on fire. Musk will never make Twitter worth anything near what he paid for it, but he can use it to make himself a free-speech martyr and recast his own business failures as an ideological stand against censorship. That, today, is what he wants with Twitter. Take Musk seriously when he threatens (if thatโ€™s the word) that advertisers will kill Twitter. He might like that just fine."

ย 

ย 

20 hours ago, maxjam said:

I don't care about the Elon Musk/Twitter drama, you could do away with all social media for me and the world would be a better place, but this guy has a point.ย  We saw with Brexit and to a much larger degree Covid, that we are now very much living in a Corporatocracy.

ย 

I fully agree with the high level point that commercial media is entrenched in the advertising/click-bait corporation game and therefore utterly untrustworthy

But then at the same time I love the way he doesn't seem to mention that Twitter itself is a corporation run by a billionaire desperately pushing his own agenda at any cost ($44b in fact!)

See also culture warrior love-ins over GB News being some sort of brilliant thing. These aren't the "good guys" - they are just "the other bad guys"

ย 

ย 

ย 

7 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

See also culture warrior love-ins over GB News being some sort of brilliant thing. These aren't the "good guys" - they are just "the other bad guys"

I was thinking the same thing! Little guy Musk, fighting against those evil companies like Disney.

It was the same back in 2016. All those business saying the economy would be screwed up if we left. Then it screwed up.

Although, I'm pretty sure lots of journos were also advocating leave, well the ones who were mates with the few people who did well out of it.

Musk turning this into some kind of moral grandstanding against advertising, Disney etc. is so so dumb.

Advertisers donโ€™t care about Musk, free speech or anything. They can about CTR, ROI and all that stuff.ย 

Fact of the matter is two fold. Twitter delivers advertising next to racist tweets or dick pics, and the actual targeting is awful. On Google, Facebook or wherever you can target exact users based on practically any criteria you want and advertise to them, on Twitter you canโ€™t do that and the returns for your ad spend are rubbish so advertisers just donโ€™t want to use it. Itโ€™s really that simple.ย