All time Legendary Left-backs - Craig F Ranking?

Ellafella

We’ve had some legends at left-back which curiously is the  position which is often difficult to fill and impress at. In no particular order, David Nish, silky skills. Steve Buckley - sledge-hammer left peg, Paul Boertien - energy, Chris Powell - quick feet, Shane Nicholson - 45 yarder… and so on. 
Where does Fozzy rate in your “all time” list of Derby left-backs? 

Them first couple of full seasons, he's up there with Chris Powell in my eyes. Powerhouse down the wing.

After his first injury unfortunately he does drop down the order. Lost his pace and more mistakes kept creeping in. Definitely the best left back of the last 20 years. Miles better than the likes of Jay McEverley, Mo Camara, Gareth Roberts. Scott Malone and Max Lowe are on a par in spells but they never had the consistency of Fozzy.

It's probably an impossible question to answer.

My initial choice for number 1 was David Nish (with Fozzy somewhere in the top 4) but then it's so long since Nish played that an element of selective memory has probably kicked in. Any errors he must have made and poorer games he must have played have been erased from the memory. You then need to factor in the quality of opposition and, more importantly, how the game has changed.

20 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It's probably an impossible question to answer.

My initial choice for number 1 was David Nish (with Fozzy somewhere in the top 4) but then it's so long since Nish played that an element of selective memory has probably kicked in. Any errors he must have made and poorer games he must have played have been erased from the memory. You then need to factor in the quality of opposition and, more importantly, how the game has changed.

Agree but…the fact he’s been going 10 years speaks volumes. David Nish was superb & England class.  I’ve forgotten so many names - Roberts, McEverley, Nicholson, et al - so those names you do remember like Chris Powell you remember because they were first rate left-backs.

Edited by Ellafella

Going from 1967 onwards:

1. DAVID NISH (Criminal he only had 5 England Caps, but obviously his injuries played a big factor).

2. Micky Forsyth (Underrated by most 325 appearances with half of them in the top flight.)

3. John Robson (Would have been a fixture for years if we had not brought in Nish)

4. Chris Powell ( Good player and a great guy)

5. Craig Forsyth (Like namesake Micky you don't really miss him until he is not there)

6. Steve Buckley (One of the Trench crew that brought us back from the brink in 84, local lad too and his dog is written in Derby Folklore!!)

Would have been interesting to see how Fozzy coped at the top level.

Great servant but has always had mistakes in him and had put in some truly shocking performances when low on confidence.

Since I started watching in the late 80s I say there is probably only Forsyth and Powell ahead of him though. 

29 minutes ago, I DONT MIND said:

Going from 1967 onwards:

1. DAVID NISH (Criminal he only had 5 England Caps, but obviously his injuries played a big factor).

2. Micky Forsyth (Underrated by most 325 appearances with half of them in the top flight.)

3. John Robson (Would have been a fixture for years if we had not brought in Nish)

5. Craig Forsyth (Like namesake Micky you don't really miss him until he is not there)

6. Steve Buckley (One of the Trench crew that brought us back from the brink in 84, local lad too and his dog is written in Derby Folklore!!)

Agree pretty much with this, but possibly switch 5th and 6th. Two stalwarts of the club, both in years and games played. I believe Buckley is the only player to have made 100+ consecutive appearances twice.

57 minutes ago, I DONT MIND said:

Going from 1967 onwards:

A mention for Tony Dorigo who did well in the short time he was here. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Agree but…the fact he’s been going 10 years speaks volumes. David Nish was superb & England class.  I’ve forgotten so many names - Roberts, McEverley, Nicholson, et al - so those names you do remember like Chris Powell you remember because they were first rate left-backs.

I remember Scot Malone. Does he fall into that category? 😁

2 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

Going from 1967 onwards:

Thanks for saving me typing time. I'd go along with that selection.