All time Legendary Left-backs - Craig F Ranking?

Ellafella

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Erm …. -ashley cole cough cough 

granted end of career but still dicks on all the others for quality.

with exception of chris powell

tony dorigo too…. Much better than both forsyths

I'd have Michael Forsyth ahead of Dorigo.  Good going forward but a fanny of a defender.  He was consistent for the 7 years or so he was here as well.  

8 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Erm …. -ashley cole cough cough 

granted end of career but still dicks on all the others for quality.

with exception of chris powell

tony dorigo too…. Much better than both forsyths

I'm judging their career in a Derby shirt, not their overall career. Otherwise the thread is pretty pointless.

My all time left-backs:

1. Nish

2. Buckley

3. Powell

4. Forsyth (Craig).

Fag paper differences between Buckley at 2 & Fozzy at 4. Arguably Fozzy should be higher because he’s battled back from career-threatening injuries thrice which shows a strength of character that defines Craig. Once again highlights the Nigel Clough talent for spotting long-term. 

Always find these "who was/is the best" difficult.

As time passes we forget the "not-so-great" days and the fond memories take over. So many players have that one match which made you smile and so you move them up the list after forgetting the times they cocked it up royally!

That being said there are the ones that just seem to have a had great careers not just the great games, Buckley and Powell are always names I seem to compare players to and Nish as one from my youth normally gets a mention, (to eye rolling from my son), as "the best I've seen". 

Personally, I know Fozzy will easily end up with that trio of names, (maybe not in the same revered tone as Nish) - but also as someone extra special for staying with us when he could have moved on during the dark times - which I think makes him not just one of our great Left Backs, but also a great Ram at heart.

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Not the greatest left-back but this goal alone is worth an honorable mention:

Olsson is in the same camp as Butterfield, Johnson, Weimann, Camara, Blackman and Bent. Can't blame them individually, but personally i can't really celebrate anything they did as i know it ultimately led to the mess we are just starting to dig ourselves out of tofay.

18 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'd have Michael Forsyth ahead of Dorigo.  Good going forward but a fanny of a defender.  He was consistent for the 7 years or so he was here as well.  

Time at derby for sure, agree 

quality on the ball though theyre poles apart, 15 caps for england at a time where There was some very clear favourites in that department suggests he wasnt a bad defender 

11 hours ago, Red Ram said:

The main thing that stands out about Forsyth when he was playing left back is I can hardly every remember seeing him beaten. You can count on one hand the number of times anyone has actually got past him. He's right up there for me.

The biggest two games he'd had for us were the playoff final in 2014 and the Sheff Wednesday game to keep us up.  He made 3 clear errors in those two games that lead to goals.  Sorry to be the party pooper.

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Olsson is in the same camp as Butterfield, Johnson, Weimann, Camara, Blackman and Bent. Can't blame them individually, but personally i can't really celebrate anything they did as i know it ultimately led to the mess we are just starting to dig ourselves out of tofay.

The mess was not caused by any of the above, it was caused by one man only , Mel Morris he was at fault with us nearly dying as a club no one else. 

On 22/07/2023 at 22:04, Dordogne-Ram said:

Thank goodness someone can remember John Robson (RIP) from the Sir Brian days.  Tackled far above his size as a teenager , and I recall a 30 yard screamer into the Osmaston End net. Perhaps someone on here can remember who it was against? 

The John Robson goal was against Coventry in a 1-0 win in the 1971-72 League Championship winning season.

My top six in order are:

1. David Nish

2. John Robson

3. Chris Powell

4. Mick Forsyth

5. Steve Buckley

6. Craig Forsyth

For his performances and quality while he played for us I would have included Tony Dorigo in third place but he only played 45 games, far less than the six mentioned. That's not enough to be considered a club legend in my opinion.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

9 hours ago, DerbyAleMan said:

The mess was not caused by any of the above, it was caused by one man only , Mel Morris he was at fault with us nearly dying as a club no one else. 

That might have something to do with the statement "can't blame them individually" - I did say that.