Women's World Cup

therealhantsram

2 minutes ago, SKRam said:

I ‘jumped on board’ for the semi, not been a fan of ladies football but I did enjoy The Lionesses. Probably only watch if we get through to latter stages of a competition again. Overall it’ll be a boost for women’s football and the kids will be more interested which is terrific. 

I'm not digging out anyone who jumps on boards. Just the inevitable negativity that's followed England's men being brought over. Maybe it won't. But England women are certainly nothing like all those decades of the men's team constantly fumbling tournaments. 

They're a really likable bunch who really work for each other. They're as honest as a team can be. A reminder of why you like football. Hopefully people are proud of them

22 minutes ago, Anon said:

Spain were excellent. We just couldn't get going offensively. We didn't see enough of the ball and weren't quick enough on the break. I would've liked to see some of Spain's cynical tackles to stop breakaways punished with yellows, but crying about the ref is pure cope. Great tournament from England overall, but the better team won the final.

Who’s been crying?

Sad for the team but the performance went backwards from the last couple of games.

Too many poor touches in midfield, not enough effort to play one & two touch.

Sadly Ella toone disappeared again. Stanway too deep and got frustrated. Keira Walsh too negative in the main and exposed for lack of pace when the urgency needed increasing.

I thought Weigman might have remembered our best midfield performance came when Walsh was out injured v China.

Change of formation at half time was bold but didn't really work.

Just sad that we couldn't seem to bring our best to the final.

Spain were the better side, specially in first half where we struggled to get the ball off them at times or for some reason backed off/held back from attempting to get it. Better 2nd half where we harassed them more. Spain liked to stop play quite a bit by falling over at the slightest tackle. Anyway. it was good to put one over Australia for once. (we like you really but you do rub our noses in it at cricket and this year at netball!). Well done ladies...did us proud and Russo does have stunning blue eyes. 😉

Edited by TimRam

12 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Spain were the better side, specially in first half where we struggled to get the ball off them at times or for some reason backed off/held back from attempting to get it. Better 2nd half where we harassed them more. Spain liked to stop play quite a bit by falling over at the slightest tackle. Anyway. it was good to put one over Australia for once. (we like you really but you do rub our noses in it at cricket and this year at netball!). Well done ladies...did us proud and Russo does have stunning blue eyes😉

Then you had to go and spoil it all by saying something stupid...

Personally I really enjoyed the ref's performance.  She has the touch of the Laura Linney about her (which I'd like)- not the Truman Show version, more then early season Ozark version.

European champions and World Cup finalists. It’s hard to be overly disappointed tbh…

Disappointing today obviously but no one’s infallible and everyone should be incredibly proud of what the Lionesses have achieved in the last 12 months.

In the wider context of the tournament though, European 1-2-3, highlighting the pivot in terms of the balance of power away from the United States. Interesting to see whether they can revive their dominance. With the rise in prominence of the European game they’re likely not going to be having it all their own way any more.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

So much for asparagus 

Lovely with baked with lemon zest, garlic and butter then topped with parmesan for the final minutes.

Also, while the typically unreliable asparagus failed to correctly predict the game result, Ollie the Psychic Octopus was right. Makes you think, doesn't it! 😋

11 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

No wonder the Spanish had more energy towards the end….they spent so much of the match lying down!

They probably had more energy because they didn’t spend most of the match chasing the ball. Unfortunately I think the more high profile the women’s game gets the more we’ll see the dark arts coming into the game. Yes Spain were time wasting at the end we’d have probably done the same had we been winning. Lucy Bronze should have been booked for delaying the penalty kick but I’ve seen some comments saying she was clever doing it we can’t have it both ways.

i think the better team won, we worked our socks off but their ball retention and movement was far better than ours

1 hour ago, Henrycav81 said:

They probably had more energy because they didn’t spend most of the match chasing the ball. Unfortunately I think the more high profile the women’s game gets the more we’ll see the dark arts coming into the game. Yes Spain were time wasting at the end we’d have probably done the same had we been winning. Lucy Bronze should have been booked for delaying the penalty kick but I’ve seen some comments saying she was clever doing it we can’t have it both ways.

i think the better team won, we worked our socks off but their ball retention and movement was far better than ours

To be fair to Bronze the ball did look way off the spot, just like Wednesdays last season to break our hea……. Arrrgghh no I didn’t mean to bring that up sorry folks