Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Then don't say anything, building expectations if you can't deliver isn't particularly wise. I'm not really digging Warne out, there just seems to be a disparity between what we're aiming to do and who we're signing.

Of course the Rhodes thing could be false and this could be complete conjecture; something is just slightly irking me about being told we're aiming for 23-28 year olds, the main position we're targeting is a striker, and then signing a 33 and 31 year old in that position...

Are you referring to the 33 year old who we haven't signed, or another one?

26 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Bingo. I'm really not anti-Warne either. All this talk of a rebuild I was excited to see him get his own crop of players in, I just didn't expect the transfer policy to be virtually identical to last season, based on who's been brought in thus far.

Derby never seem to be the ones unearthing gems, we buy the 'proven' options. Maybe I was unrealistically expecting this to change with the new recruitment setup but I was hoping we'd get at least 1 striker who has more than 2 seasons in him, and we may be able to sell for a profit.

If Rhodes signs, I'll back him like anyone else but this seems very much like 'get up however we can and then worry about what happens once we're there' rather than trying to build something sustainable that could see continued success without major changes.

As it stands, if we go up, we'll be back to square 1 needing to sign 3 strikers in a years' time...

I’d very much like us to be unearthing gems too. I’ve said a couple of times I was excited by the prospect of Lee Bonis, not because I’d seen the lad play, more that it had the potential to be us finding a rough diamond, polishing him up (matron, ooo-err etc) and then either selling him on at a massive profit or seeing him lead us through the leagues. 
My point is, there’s still time for something like that to happen, and if it doesn’t transpire it won’t be the end of the world. We’re steadily rebuilding the club with solid if unspectacular signings, I’m alright with it, others aren’t and that’s fair too. 

13 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Rhodes isn't an accomplished footballer though. He's a pretty basic footballer with one standout skill but the rest of his game is poor to middling, barely above average. It was that way even at his peak, and he hasn't really been able to adapt his game to make himself valuable in other ways.

Scoring goals and being a good footballer are not mutually exclusive.

That's the problem, it's why he's found his game time limited and other strikers preferred despite his scoring record. Again it's something you alluded to yourself yesterday so I'm not sure how we're even disagreeing? If he was an 'accomplished footballer' they'd be able to give him more minutes without feeling it impacts on their overall performance as a team.

I've also read some of the comments from Huddersfield fans, and to say they 'praise his hold-up play' is pushing it a bit based on the ones i saw (granted they may be different). They say it's better than they expected, that it's actually 'decent', better than it was in his first spell there but that's a low bar. They still acknowledge that he isn't a hold-up striker and shouldn't be played there regularly.

You've also got to remember that they consider him a legend there because of his past scoring exploits, so they'll naturally be kinder on his flaws, they're never going to badmouth him when his first spell there was so successful.

Enough going round the houses anyway, I just don't see us being a successful TEAM if Jordon Rhodes plays in more than 70% of our minutes this season. I welcome him as a signing if it's to come in and play maybe 30/40% of available minutes. That's my opinion, it could be wrong and he could surprise me greatly. I'll be more than willing to admit the errors of my thinking if he does.

I think you’re confusing all-round with accomplished. Accomplished to me, is a player who is efficient at what they do. For example, I see Callum Elder as an accomplished player whereas I don’t see Joe Ward as one. Ward may provide more game winning moments, but will provide frustration than Elder. 

You’re right regarding how Rhodes plays, he goes as the team goes and if he’s part of a bad team he isn’t going to pull them up. He doesn’t create his own chances and he isn’t going to be a creative influence for anyone else, but he’s absolutely streets ahead of any of our players and the entire division when it comes to putting chances away. That’s what I mean by accomplished, for a League One side built on getting the ball out wide and in the box then there are few better options available to us. If you’re looking for a striker to take on his man, run the channels and link up play then obviously not. You don’t buy a cat and ask it to bark.

22 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think you’re confusing all-round with accomplished. Accomplished to me, is a player who is efficient at what they do. For example, I see Callum Elder as an accomplished player whereas I don’t see Joe Ward as one. Ward may provide more game winning moments, but will provide frustration than Elder. 

You’re right regarding how Rhodes plays, he goes as the team goes and if he’s part of a bad team he isn’t going to pull them up. He doesn’t create his own chances and he isn’t going to be a creative influence for anyone else, but he’s absolutely streets ahead of any of our players and the entire division when it comes to putting chances away. That’s what I mean by accomplished, for a League One side built on getting the ball out wide and in the box then there are few better options available to us. If you’re looking for a striker to take on his man, run the channels and link up play then obviously not. You don’t buy a cat and ask it to bark.

No that's fair enough, although I wouldn't say I was confusing the two terms, it's just we have different interpretations.

I'll go 50/50 and say he's an accomplished finisher, but I simply can't can't call someone who's only got one standout skill an accomplished footballer because to me that does imply they've got a good all-round game.

McGoldrick is an accomplished footballer, Rhodes is an accomplished finisher.

Now I'm imagining a McGoldrick/Rhodes partnership and thinking of how wonderful it could have been.

Edited by Kokosnuss

10 minutes ago, jameso said:

Are you referring to the 33 year old who we haven't signed, or another one?

I literally clarified the context of that paragraph in the opening sentence: ''Of course the Rhodes thing could be false and this could be complete conjecture'', I couldn't really have made it any clearer that what followed was hypothetical? 

11 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’d very much like us to be unearthing gems too. I’ve said a couple of times I was excited by the prospect of Lee Bonis, not because I’d seen the lad play, more that it had the potential to be us finding a rough diamond, polishing him up (matron, ooo-err etc) and then either selling him on at a massive profit or seeing him lead us through the leagues. 
My point is, there’s still time for something like that to happen, and if it doesn’t transpire it won’t be the end of the world. We’re steadily rebuilding the club with solid if unspectacular signings, I’m alright with it, others aren’t and that’s fair too. 

I agree, lots of time to go. I suppose that's me assuming this is true and that Warne's comments about '3 strikers' signals that IF (and it's a big if, admittedly) this happens, that could be our lot upfront.

I really like the Wilson signing, for example. Good business getting him on a free, great age and huge potential. We could get 2/3 seasons out of him and then sell him for a massive profit. Rhodes is exactly the sort of player we'd have been signing for the past 3 years when we couldn't pay fees and were limited in who we could recruit. This also limited the investments in players we could make. It just feels underwhelming to sign someone like this when we maybe have the option to recruit a striker who's more of an investment.

Weirdly playing ability isn't really a factor in my mind on this, I'd ideally just want us to sign a striker who could boss it in league 1, but then also step up to do the same in the Championship OR we could sell for profit. Risking that place in the squad on a good yet aging poacher who has zero resale value, when the other 2 strikers also fit that brief just seems anti-climactic somehow. 

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I literally clarified the context of that paragraph in the opening sentence: ''Of course the Rhodes thing could be false and this could be complete conjecture'', I couldn't really have made it any clearer that what followed was hypothetical? 

You were being hypothetically irked?

32 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Correct on Dean Sturridge but we signed Kevin Wilson from Banbury Utd for £20k and signed Phil Gee from Greeley Rovers.

This is true, but misses my point which was that both were already at Derby. 

Gee spent a year in the reserves before his breakout season in the Div 2 promotion. 

Wilson had been with us several years making modest impact before blitzing Div 3. Just checked and see he scored just 2 from 32 the year before.

My point being, the player we need could already be with us. They just need to take their chance in a system that plays to their strengths.

2 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This is true, but misses my point which was that both were already at Derby. 

Gee spent a year in the reserves before his breakout season in the Div 2 promotion. 

Wilson had been with us several years making modest impact before blitzing Div 3. Just checked and see he scored just 2 from 32 the year before.

My point being, the player we need could already be with us. They just need to take their chance in a system that plays to their strengths.

No,I understood your point.Perhaps Brown has done enough to persuade Warne that he could do a job as the 4th striker.Let's hope so anyway.