Paul Warne Pre-Season Interview

Caerphilly Ram

12 hours ago, Srg said:

You’re reasoning with the unreasonable. 

lets‘s see what sort of football we are playing next season and come back to that one  

First,  recruit the best possible footballers, and then organise and motivate them. That’s what we should do. He’s got it backwards, he starts with motivation 

Oh and make sure the best ones don’t leave to move down the road. 

12 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Depends if we can bring in any academy players. Plange and Ebiowei both came in having been released from other academies and quickly stepped up to the 1st team. I hope we pick up a few gems this way.

That’s a good point of course, and I’m sure Hale will be extremely busy right now trying to recruit the best talent let go by other academies. It’s our only hope of rebuilding the decimated academy at the moment, particularly the U21 team. 

But there’s usually a reason these players are willing to join our academy - because they’re not yet ready for first team football at this level. That’s not to say they won’t be in the future - there’s countless examples of players bouncing back to reach a higher level than the club that released them as a kid. But I don’t think we can be relying on those sorts of players next season too much.

You will get the odd player who breaks through quicker than expected, and hopefully we do, but it won’t be the 4/5 needed to complete the squad. Plange and Ebiowei “broke through” because we had no other options - I’d suggest their career trajectories since suggest they weren’t actually ready. The only example I can thing of in recent times that truly broke through in their first season is Rooney, who genuinely overtook more senior teammates in Stearman and Davies through his performances in cup ties. 

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

lets‘s see what sort of football we are playing next season and come back to that one  

First,  recruit the best possible footballers, and then organise and motivate them. That’s what we should do. He’s got it backwards, he starts with motivation 

We could play like prime Pulis Stoke if it got us out of this cesspit of a league. Let’s win football matches, then worry about how it looks. 

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

You say let’s wait and see, yet you seem unwilling to do so yourself by making statements about Warne’s approach to recruiting, before you’ve even seen the calibre of player. You could of course be prove correct, but there’s no evidence yet either way 🤷🏻‍♂️ 
McGoldrick left for his own reasons, he has stated that, Warne has stated that, his new club have stated that. It seems very clear from all parties involved that despite Derby and Warne’s efforts to convince him to stay, McGoldrick took his own decision to play for his boyhood club, what is it about that you think Warne could have changed? 
In your opinion Warne has got it backwards, and in his opinion he wants players willing to be part of a cohesive unit that can also play the style of football he wants. NOWHERE has he said he won’t recruit good footballers, he’s said they need to be both good footballers AND good people.
There are countless examples of talented footballers through the years, arguably more talented than anyone else they’ve played with, whose attitudes stank their clubs out. We had a very famous example on our books a couple of season back. I would rather have a group of solid, capable players motivated to play for the shirt and the fans week in week out than the likes of Ravel Morrison, or an Adel Taraabt who have all the talent and a stinking attitude towards the team. Ravel looked like perhaps he’d finally found a home here and was going to finally disprove all that had gone before regarding his attitude….then he didn’t, and at the first opportunity he jumped ship. One bad apple and all that….

Again, I’m looking past who Warne is and focused on what he’s saying. You don’t like the bloke, cause he wears a hat, or makes bad jokes, or came from a small club, or whatever the reason. What he’s currently saying makes some sense, recruit good players who can represent this club in front of a big crowd and work hard for one another in order to bring success. What is it about that you don’t like? 

The other point I'd make on the whole "sign good footballers, then organise and motivate them" approach... we've tried that before. You can argue whether or not they were actually good, but they had at least proved worth at others clubs. It was the whole strategy throughout Mel's reign of terror. In fact, look at Chelsea's recruitment strategy of signing loads of wingers/inside forwards and no actual strikers of any note. 

Sign players to fit a role and in a defined system. Don't sign them because they might be decent then worry about how it fits later.

Edited by Srg

Some clearly don’t like Warne …no matter what …I’d hate to be sat anywhere near them though at a game …it’s bordering on a kind of hatred and I find that difficult to comprehend at times …

would you rather have someone managing our club who’s closed and unfriendly? How many managers would go and watch a player who’s left the club for his boyhood club? He’s a decent man even if he’s not a success he’s a decent bloke 

I thought Cocu was treated poorly by some fans and was embarrassing to hear at times …Cocu was a gentleman and our first ever foreign coach but some couldn’t wait to kick him like they enjoy it but when he left he left with dignity and didn’t seek big compensation nor did his team of coaches 

let’s give Warne a chance at least without looking into every angle and seeing a negative ffs 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

We could play like prime Pulis Stoke if it got us out of this cesspit of a league. Let’s win football matches, then worry about how it looks. 

That's the sort of attitude that sees you coming straight back down the next season as twice happened to Warne with Rotherham, so absolutely not. There needs to be an eye on the future too.

I thought it was clear from the interview that this isn't what we're doing anyway, with the talk of a trying to sign players who don't really want to be / shouldn't be playing in League One, looking at signing players with quality, experience and a continued ability to play at Championship level.

The fear was that last season's better football came about because we had some real class in the team that a manager would have to be an idiot to ignore, but that with it gone and/or a year older it'd be replaced with athletes-over-footballers, and we'd devolve toward the more desperate / uncontrolled stuff we saw in tougher games, & Warne's progression as a manager (seen toward the end of the season IMO) would regress, essentially making us Rotherham 2.0.

The interview alleviated almost all of that fear for me, in terms of our intentions - the club now just need to back up what was said with the signings, and Warne with how he sets up and manages the team throughout the season.

As a general note, it does make me laugh when people are so defensive of Warne and wish to dispel any and all negative opinion to the point that that they'll end up contradicting something he himself has said in his own analysis. Not everyone who criticises him is some sort of 'hater' 🙄

Edited by Kokosnuss

Just now, Kokosnuss said:

That's the sort of attitude that sees you coming straight back down the next season as twice happened to Warne with Rotherham, so absolutely not. There needs to be an eye on the future too.

I thought it was clear from the interview that this isn't what we're doing anyway, with the talk of a trying to sign players who don't really want to be / shouldn't be playing in League One, signing players with quality, experience an a continued ability to play at Championship  level.

The fear was that last season's better football came about because we had some real class in the team that a manager would have to be an idiot to ignore, but that with it gone and/or a year older we'd devolve toward the more desperate / uncontrolled stuff we saw in tougher games, & Warne's progression as a manager (seen toward the end of the season, IMO) would regress, essentially making us Rotherham 2.0.

The interview alleviated almost all of that fear for me, in terms of our intentions - the club now just need to back up what was said with the signings, and Warne with how he sets up and manages the team throughout the season.

As a general note, it does make me laugh when people are so defensive of Warne and wish to dispel any and all negative opinion to the point that that they'll end up contradicting something he himself has said in his own analysis.

I was being facetious. I don't believe for a second our football is remotely anything like that, and not even as bad as the naysayers make out. But I would argue that that would be the reason for Rotherham coming back down - that would be budget and holding onto their better players when they do come up related. Their level has always been a tweener of Championship/League One area. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

I was being facetious. I don't believe for a second our football is remotely anything like that, and not even as bad as the naysayers make out. But I would argue that that would be the reason for Rotherham coming back down - that would be budget and holding onto their better players when they do come up related. Their level has always been a tweener of Championship/League One area. 

Agree that budget usually plays a big part, as it'd he hard for me to argue against that and then say we should finish top 2-3 this season because our budget is high for the league. Sometimes teams defy their budgets though, and I'd say that's where good managers really come into their own.

It's something we're yet to really see from Warne, it's unfortunate for him that the only time they've gone up and stayed up is after he left! They may well have stayed up (or finished higher than 18th) if he had stayed but we'll never know. 

2 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Agree that budget usually plays a big part, as it'd he hard for me to argue against that and then say we should finish top 2-3 this season because our budget is high for the league. Sometimes teams defy their budgets though, and I'd say that's where good managers really come into their own.

It's something we're yet to really see from Warne, it's unfortunate for him that the only time they've gone up and stayed up is after he left! They may well have stayed up (or finished higher than 18th) if he had stayed but we'll never know. 

The way I look at it is just get up first and foremost. If things go south when we are there, we can replace Warne and attempt to stay up. So, yes, I'd like us to be able to build and fly up through the leagues to the promised land, but have to take every chance we can get to at least get back to the Championship.

I might be coming across like I'm some kind of Warne fanboy, which isn't the case. I try to stick to as many facts as possible to form an opinion - which is an issue some posters seemingly struggle with when it comes to Warne. I like his ideals of a high energy, athletic team and I find his interviews to be, on the whole, interesting. There's far too many misquotes or overanalysis on a small part of a sentence going off in some quarters. He didn't have his own team last season, and he did have a small, old squad which seemingly ran out of legs. Let's see what this season brings after a proper transfer window and pre-season.

The challenge here for PW is to see if he can manage a club of our stature and fans expectations are very different to that of Rovrums 

I don’t think for one minute PW and his team think let’s copy the Rovrum ideals because he has more oppurtunity at DCFC to be backed and to have the opportunity to manage better players 

if he wasn’t ambitious he would have stayed at his safe place being Rovrum but instead he’s chosen to challenge himself and take an opportunity 

he’s not stupid enough to think that promotion followed by a relegation battle in the championship will be ok because I’m pretty sure he’s been told of our expectations 

for anyone thinking he will have the same mindset as managing a smallish club and it’s limitations that that brings are wide of the mark ….anyone getting a higher grade job with more expectations would be a total fool to think they haven’t got to rise and be better and Paul Warne doesn’t strike me as a fool 

he may get us out of this league but his real challenge then comes in the championship…what I do like from the interview is that he’s already looking ahead and wants players who will be able to play in the championship ….I’m not sure he had the luxury of being able to pick up those sort of players when at RUFC 

Edited by S8TY

38 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I thought it was clear from the interview that this isn't what we're doing anyway, with the talk of a trying to sign players who don't really want to be / shouldn't be playing in League One, looking at signing players with quality, experience and a continued ability to play at Championship level.

The fear was that last season's better football came about because we had some real class in the team that a manager would have to be an idiot to ignore, but that with it gone and/or a year older it'd be replaced with athletes-over-footballers, and we'd devolve toward the more desperate / uncontrolled stuff we saw in tougher games, & Warne's progression as a manager (seen toward the end of the season IMO) would regress, essentially making us Rotherham 2.0.

As a general note, it does make me laugh when people are so defensive of Warne and wish to dispel any and all negative opinion to the point that that they'll end up contradicting something he himself has said in his own analysis. Not everyone who criticises him is some sort of 'hater' 🙄

This is pretty much what I’m repeatedly going on about. Correct me if I’m putting words in your mouth @Kokosnuss but you have been quite open about your concerns with Warne since he was appointed and explained that with a bit of your rationale and some objective thinking, probably leaning more towards Warne out than in if we reduce it to a simple one or the other scale. And yet you’re able to listen to what has been said by Warne and see past your own concerns for the moment to wait and see how it develops.

Warne isn’t talking about playing route one, or signing “cloggers”, or signing people solely based on who they are as people and nothing else….and yet that’s all some people revert to when talking about the direction of the club.

I’m happy to admit Warne has faults, and they contributed to us failing to make the play offs last season, and that’s done now. He’s spoken several times about some of those faults himself, so either he’s aware of them or he’s had the views of this forum relayed to him. He’s talking about improving that, and improving on last year, and adding players who can progress the side. It’s not blindly defending him on my part, it’s ignoring the more distracting parts of Warne the character to focus on what the alleged intent is moving forward, then waiting to see how that develops before judging any further.
Criticise the bloke for specific things and back it up with evidence if that’s what people feel like doing, I’d just like to see people to stop attributing their opinions as being fact. 

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Think people only really moaned about the football last season when it was ugly AND wasn't working.  Think there was a general consensus that when we got the ball down and played we were generally pretty good.  It was when we went more direct that we struggled and that made the tactic all the more baffling and frustrating.

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This is pretty much what I’m repeatedly going on about. Correct me if I’m putting words in your mouth @Kokosnuss but you have been quite open about your concerns with Warne since he was appointed and explained that with a bit of your rationale and some objective thinking, probably leaning more towards Warne out than in if we reduce it to a simple one or the other scale. And yet you’re able to listen to what has been said by Warne and see past your own concerns for the moment to wait and see how it develops.

Warne isn’t talking about playing route one, or signing “cloggers”, or signing people solely based on who they are as people and nothing else….and yet that’s all some people revert to when talking about the direction of the club.

I’m happy to admit Warne has faults, and they contributed to us failing to make the play offs last season, and that’s done now. He’s spoken several times about some of those faults himself, so either he’s aware of them or he’s had the views of this forum relayed to him. He’s talking about improving that, and improving on last year, and adding players who can progress the side. It’s not blindly defending him on my part, it’s ignoring the more distracting parts of Warne the character to focus on what the alleged intent is moving forward, then waiting to see how that develops before judging any further.
Criticise the bloke for specific things and back it up with evidence if that’s what people feel like doing, I’d just like to see people to stop attributing their opinions as being fact. 

Agree with the post except for the line  "probably leaning more towards Warne out than in if we reduce it to a simple one or the other scale", which isn't true.

I've always thought (and said) Warne represents our best chance of getting out of this league at the earliest opportunity. That remains the case. I have no preferred manager to achieve that and no desire to see us quit yet another project early and don't see how replacing him would help us in any way to achieve our goals. 

While I'm not as 'attached' to him (he is after all just a football manager!) as a few seem to be I do appreciate his candor, and I do actually see a few traits in his overall approach which I'd probably share if I was in his position. (...and not some uncharismatic, nonathletic , mentally weak loser with absolutely zero management / leadership abilities)

I’d love for the reasons why people really dislike warne. 

best cv manager we’ve had in years apart from maybe mclaren. 3 promotions in all. We played some great football under him at times and anybody that says hoof football don’t know what they are talking about. The Bristol rovers game and Portsmouth at home was some of the best football I’ve seen since 13/14. Rosenior didn’t play better football than warne. Football is not a game where you play it sideways and backwards for most of the match to a point under Rooney cocu and rosenior I contemplated leaving at half time through nearly falling asleep. 

under the 3 previous managers there was 0 point travelling away from home to watch us nearly lose every time. The first game warne over sees he wins. We scored goals and looked dangerous. If we didn’t have the embargo in January and able to sign good loans or fees we would have been in the playoffs simple as and I would have a hunch we would have been closer to the top 2 had we strengthened and legs not gone.

id be interested to see a stat on away wins under warne compared to Rooney to senior and cocu combined bet warne isn’t far off with 1 season compared to there 3 and but seasons and he did t even get a full season. How would you expect a team to get promoted with no away form. Warne will get the players in time and we will be up there challenging next season and play some exciting attacking football and I can’t wait. 

feel free to reply and tell us the reasons you dislike warne as manager. If it’s because of his football style then please explain how you can to this conclusion 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He may have made substitution errors but did you see the bench most games. Tell me one player who would have made a difference. Nobody was getting derby up last season it’s as simple as that. We did well to manage 7th considered he came in after 9 games and had at least another 9 to get his point across and get to know everyone and so players could get used to style. It’s not his fault clowes went for him after the season had started. He’s got a whole pre season this time and a chance to buy his own players with restrictions 

2 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Portsmouth at home

We drew 1-1 and played bang average. We played well first 20 mins, Portsmouth changed tactics and Warne couldn't adjust and we were awful from then on.

3 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

The first game warne over sees he wins

Against Cambridge, who scraped in safety. 

5 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

We scored goals and looked dangerous.

Away from home we scored 27 and conceded 26. Won 8, drew 7 and lost 8. That's not a good away record.

6 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

away wins under warne

Our away wins under Warne were against: 
Forest Green, Accrington, MK Dons, Cambridge, Oxford, Port Vale, Cheltenham and Exeter. We didn't beat a team higher than 14th.

8 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

If it’s because of his football style then please explain how you can to this conclusion 

I personally prefer passing football and we had that under Rosenior. I didn't like how direct we were at times under Warne. Bristol Rovers (a) was absolutely atrocious to watch. We got an early lead and sat back for 90 minutes with aimless hoofs to Didzy and time wasted every minute we could. That isn't Derby. It was so easy to get a goal and yet we decided to sit back rather than going for a second? 

15 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

We drew 1-1 and played bang average. We played well first 20 mins, Portsmouth changed tactics and Warne couldn't adjust and we were awful from then on.

Against Cambridge, who scraped in safety. 

Away from home we scored 27 and conceded 26. Won 8, drew 7 and lost 8. That's not a good away record.

Our away wins under Warne were against: 
Forest Green, Accrington, MK Dons, Cambridge, Oxford, Port Vale, Cheltenham and Exeter. We didn't beat a team higher than 14th.

I personally prefer passing football and we had that under Rosenior. I didn't like how direct we were at times under Warne. Bristol Rovers (a) was absolutely atrocious to watch. We got an early lead and sat back for 90 minutes with aimless hoofs to Didzy and time wasted every minute we could. That isn't Derby. It was so easy to get a goal and yet we decided to sit back rather than going for a second? 

I was referring to the home game 

11 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

I was referring to the home game 

To which one? You mentioned Portsmouth at home, which was an awful 1-1 draw. 

You mentioned about you can't see why people don't like his tactics so I told you why and used an example?