Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

To me, I'd have no issue with Knight going to one of the top end Championship or lower Premier League teams, but I just don't see the value in the likes of Bristol City for him.

11 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Colour me surprised 😂

Yep, at no point has Knight said he wants to leave, that I can find in the public domain anyway. His international boss has suggested it, there are clubs interested, and as is the case with almost all footballers he probably wants to play at the highest level….but he’s never said he’s going or wants to.
The challenge for Derby is working out if we can afford the gamble on getting promoted this season and convincing him to stay so he then plays championship football with us next season; or reject any bids that come in and keep a potentially unhappy player here who wants to play at a higher level (Knight strikes me as the kind of person who’d just get his head down rather than sulk, but Warne has said before he won’t keep people hostage); or sell him this summer to maximise the money we can get for Knight rather than risk losing him to the lottery of tribunal compensation next summer.

There is a 4th option, sign him to a new deal and loan him to the championship with a promise of meeting him there next summer 🤔 

Personally I think he’ll be sold, which is a shame but also…it is what it is. Provided the club moves forward I’d accept pretty much anyone leaving and money coming in. Any player can be replaced, maybe not like for like, but you can strengthen the collective. One thing I do come back to in my own pondering, is where does Knight fit into Paul Warne’s Derby County with Bird, Sibley, Hourihane, Smith and Ward all still here.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

3 clubs allegedly in for him now, Bristol City, Stoke and Ipswich. Knight’s comments in the post match interview @Animal is a Ram shared are interesting, shows he’s as receptive to staying here and being part of the project moving for as he might be to a transfer. 

I'd like to think he can see the intent with the recent activity and stick with us this summer, unless there is interest from a team who will be challenging for promotion in the Championship or a team in the Prem that can give him some playing time.

26 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

The sign of a well-grounded player who appears to have the foresight to see beyond his nose which is great. 

Ipswich are reportedly in for him, personally I would say that would be a better move for him than Bristol. They were excellent last season, bar a little blip that almost cost them promotion, they’ve already spent multiple millions on Ellis Simms (or going too) a real opportunity to play for a progressive club full of momentum. I wouldn’t begrudge him that move at all - I feel he suits their system too and could be a huge part of a side who will undoubtedly put forward a good case for back to back promotions.

Stoke can’t seem to put it together, but in terms of a side that would give me food for thought financially then it would be them. No idea how they manage to fly under the radar of FFP - they were nearing on a £100m wage bill for multiple seasons and this level. However, in terms of ‘promotion bonus’, I’d imagine their offer would be somewhat substantial. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Stoke can’t seem to put it together, but in terms of a side that would give me food for thought financially then it would be them. No idea how they manage to fly under the radar of FFP - they were nearing on a £100m wage bill for multiple seasons and this level. However, in terms of ‘promotion bonus’, I’d imagine their offer would be somewhat substantial. 

If the 'powers that don't' ever get round to clearing out betting sponsorship, Stoke will be royally screwed given their ownership

The biggest issue with selling knight is that if we are successful at getting promotion he is exactly the type of player we would need to sign in the championship so for me keep him and increase his pay and length of contract - he just needs convincing and he’s a lad that has never put a foot wrong or spoken out of place and is a very good footballer 

7 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

If the 'powers that don't' ever get round to clearing out betting sponsorship, Stoke will be royally screwed given their ownership

I’ve just had a quick look at their company accounts -

18/19 - £56m wage bill, £5.1m in sponsorship
19/20 - £52m wage bill, £7.9m in sponsorship
20/21 - £48m wage bill, £8.4m in sponsorship 
21/22 - £35m wage bill, £10m in sponsorship. 

To put it into perspective, Bristol City a similar size club receive £1.7m in sponsorship and retail combined. The wage bill is £12-13m less too. 

I don’t think Stoke would be a particularly great move for him footballing wise, but in terms of financial package - he would be well paid for his services. 

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

If he stays where will he play next season, centre mid? Alongside who? I think he is a great talent but was a bit disappointed with his performances in that position last season 🤔

That’s the bit I’m wondering. In a midfield 3 with Bird and Hourihane? Bird as the defensive midfielder with Hourihane and Knight as the creativity and legs. Meaning Sibley and Smith have to accept a bench/rotation role.

As rwb meaning Ward is back up? As one of the two 10’s alongside one of Sibley or NML behind a central striker? 

58 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

3 clubs allegedly in for him now, Bristol City, Stoke and Ipswich. Knight’s comments in the post match interview @Animal is a Ram shared are interesting, shows he’s as receptive to staying here and being part of the project moving forward as he might be to a transfer. 

Stoke.  f*** sake .  May as well retire as go to that vortex of hell.

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s the bit I’m wondering. In a midfield 3 with Bird and Hourihane? Bird as the defensive midfielder with Hourihane and Knight as the creativity and legs. Meaning Sibley and Smith have to accept a bench/rotation role.

As rwb meaning Ward is back up? As one of the two 10’s alongside one of Sibley or NML behind a central striker? 

Until the rest of the squad is complete, it's hard to say. The simple answer is utility player.

RWB - Competition with Ward
CM - Rotation with Bird and Hourihane. Smith would be 4th choice, Tommo would be moving on to a new club.
AM/W - Competition with Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen and Sibley

45 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I’ve just had a quick look at their company accounts -

18/19 - £56m wage bill, £5.1m in sponsorship
19/20 - £52m wage bill, £7.9m in sponsorship
20/21 - £48m wage bill, £8.4m in sponsorship 
21/22 - £35m wage bill, £10m in sponsorship. 

To put it into perspective, Bristol City a similar size club receive £1.7m in sponsorship and retail combined. The wage bill is £12-13m less too. 

I don’t think Stoke would be a particularly great move for him footballing wise, but in terms of financial package - he would be well paid for his services. 

Doesn't their owner write truly eyewatering sums of debt off on top of that though ? I don't believe that they are remotely living within their means.

1 minute ago, Dan_Ram said:

Thing is, (and I’m a big fan of Knight), if we got £2.5M say and used it to buy JCH, would you see that as great business? 

I don't think Clarke-Harris is worth that much. He's got to be able to step up to Championship football for us to get value for money, and every chance he's had so far has proven otherwise.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How much would Knighty be worth next season if we get promoted this season. If he's happy to stay here then what would we lose?

Nothing as his contract expires next season. If we could tie him down for longer and get promoted then he’d be worth more then he is now.