Baseball Ground Restoration

loweman2

Probably one of the most iconic symbols of a football ground, the turn stile, they all have them and they last for years, mainly until clubs move ground, then they are tossed to one side, so it was a privilege to become the custodian of this original Ellison surge control turnstile dating back to the start of the last century, when you think of the hundreds of thousands of Rams fans that will have passed through it, myself, my dad and my grandad being three it makes you stop and think.

it was there through everything, Bloomer, the FA Cup paraded around the ground, Clough and Taylor, Jim Smith etc, it’s a real snapshot of our clubs history and heritage.

Anyhow, it’s now fully restored in working order with brass keep plate and counter and looks resplendent,

it belongs in an official club museum so I’m going to keep on endeavouring to get one.

we have a massive Rams Heritage display at Pride Park on the 3rd and 4th June so come along.

IMG_9864.jpeg

IMG_9465.jpeg

IMG_8452.jpeg

IMG_9851.jpeg

42 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Probably one of the most iconic symbols of a football ground, the turn stile, they all have them and they last for years, mainly until clubs move ground, then they are tossed to one side, so it was a privilege to become the custodian of this original Ellison surge control turnstile dating back to the start of the last century, when you think of the hundreds of thousands of Rams fans that will have passed through it, myself, my dad and my grandad being three it makes you stop and think.

it was there through everything, Bloomer, the FA Cup paraded around the ground, Clough and Taylor, Jim Smith etc, it’s a real snapshot of our clubs history and heritage.

Anyhow, it’s now fully restored in working order with brass keep plate and counter and looks resplendent,

it belongs in an official club museum so I’m going to keep on endeavouring to get one.

we have a massive Rams Heritage display at Pride Park on the 3rd and 4th June so come along.

IMG_9864.jpeg

IMG_9465.jpeg

IMG_8452.jpeg

IMG_9851.jpeg

Good luck on your quest mate , a Rams museum is a fantastic idea , turnstile looks great by the way, brings back many memories

I bought two of the original Turnstiles from the old Normanton End, which was originally built and called Catchem’s Corner when it was a Baseball Ground before it became a football ground. My friend had one of them and I’ve still got the other one in my garden - I had mine refurbished 20yrs ago and it stands in my garden and I live it. I think there were only 10 of the original Turnstiles and they are a thing of beauty - I think mine had about 20+ layers of paint on it and when properly stripped it revealed such lovely intricate casting with lots of detailed. Mine has over 800k on the counter which is pretty amazing to think of each and every person that passed through the Turnstile that sits in my garden. Then you times the number on mine by all the other Turnstile’s around the old BBG and that total number added up must be several million - truly remarkable for what was a regional industrial town !! 🐏🤗

13 hours ago, Keepyuppy said:

I bought two of the original Turnstiles from the old Normanton End, which was originally built and called Catchem’s Corner when it was a Baseball Ground before it became a football ground. My friend had one of them and I’ve still got the other one in my garden - I had mine refurbished 20yrs ago and it stands in my garden and I live it. I think there were only 10 of the original Turnstiles and they are a thing of beauty - I think mine had about 20+ layers of paint on it and when properly stripped it revealed such lovely intricate casting with lots of detailed. Mine has over 800k on the counter which is pretty amazing to think of each and every person that passed through the Turnstile that sits in my garden. Then you times the number on mine by all the other Turnstile’s around the old BBG and that total number added up must be several million - truly remarkable for what was a regional industrial town !! 🐏🤗

get some photos posted when you get a minute, it would be nice to find where they are all spread, there is one at the neptune.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure do miss the old gal when I see pictures of the old stadium, just glad I got to experience the final 6-7 years of it being our home in my early days watching the mighty Rams with my Dad. Thank God there was at least a promotion season for us in our 40s to be able look back on!

Little article in The Sun today (for some reason...)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22599166/derby-county-abandoned-premier-league-stadium-baseball-ground/

On 24/05/2023 at 17:25, ossieram said:

I worked the turnstiles for a few months and got sacked for letting a mate jump over when we played Bournemouth in the Simod Cup, only 2000 in the ground on a Wednesday night and I was grassed up by another turnstile operator. 

On 24/05/2023 at 22:19, Abu Derby said:

That turnstile looks like the one where I used to just jump over it as I knew the bloke who operated it. Happy days and saved me two bob. 

Friends Reunited

On 10/06/2023 at 14:44, Carnero said:

Sure do miss the old gal when I see pictures of the old stadium, just glad I got to experience the final 6-7 years of it being our home in my early days watching the mighty Rams with my Dad. Thank God there was at least a promotion season for us in our 40s to be able look back on!

Little article in The Sun today (for some reason...)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22599166/derby-county-abandoned-premier-league-stadium-baseball-ground/

there the photos i posted on here a couple of years ago of the existing wall that was on columbo st ! 🤣🤣