Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

I thought in the 2nd half we looked the better side until DR shat the bed. Two atrocious tackles and I use the term 'tackle' in its loosest sense. I've not seen that much of these lads this year, but based on what I have seen, I'm not sure any are ready for men's football just yet. Weston and Allen both look to have a deal of technical ability and I thought JT played well without getting much luck. Otherwise a game to forget really, though our lads kept at it which I liked.

Sidenote, but had to turn the commentary off. One of the commentators seemed pretty balanced but the one who said 'enjoy the ball' a gazillion times was boiling my swede. As @Ghost of Clough pointed out, this was a tough ask anyway, but I don't think we'd have been too far away from beating these all the same, had it stayed 11 vs 11.

Edited by Comrade 86
typo

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

10 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I thought in the 2nd half we looked the better side until DR shat the bed. Two atrocious tackles and I use the term 'tackle' in its loosest sense. I've not seen that much of these lads this year, but based on what I have seen, I'm not sure any are ready for men's football just yet. Weston and Allen both look to have a deal of technical ability and I thought JT played well without getting much luck. Otherwise a game to forget really, though our lads kept at it which I liked.

Sidenote, but had to turn the commentary off. One of the commentators seemed pretty balanced but the one who said 'enjoy the ball' a gazillion times was boiling my swede. As @Ghost of Clough pointed out, this was a tough ask anyway, but I don't think we'd have been too far away from beating these all the same, had it stayed 11 vs 11.

We've been close in most games this season. A lot of those youngsters will have another 2 years in the U21s, so we should see a lot of improvement with time.

West Ham now top the PL2 table (although they've played 3 games more than Spurs). A 3-2 defeat away from home isn't terrible.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We've been close in most games this season. A lot of those youngsters will have another 2 years in the U21s, so we should see a lot of improvement with time.

West Ham now top the PL2 table (although they've played 3 games more than Spurs). A 3-2 defeat away from home isn't terrible.

Don't recall saying it was terrible, rather that we were the better side 2nd half prior to DR's brain fade. I'm aware of of where hammers sit in the table too.

I rate McAndrew over Stepien Iwumene. Is the latter still on trial? 

I didn't realise Ben Ratcliffe had been out for quite so long. He looked really promising pre-season. 

Edited by angieram

46 minutes ago, angieram said:

I rate McAndrew over Stepien Iwumene. Is the latter still on trial? 

I didn't realise Ben Ratcliffe had been out for quite so long. He looked really promising pre-season. 

In an ideal world, I think McAndrew would have another half season in the U18s before stepping up tothe U21s. He's still quite raw and cous do with improving on a few weak areas of his game first. He's still only 16, but already has 4 goals and 5 assists in his 12 U18 appearances this season, so the club must think it's better to test him at a higher level now.

I havent seen much promise from Stepien-Iwumene so far, but the least he offers us is a bit of depth rather than relying on our U18 squad. I don't think we'll see the best from him until next season (if signed), when he'll be in a more settled situation.

Radcliffe last played in September... pretty much the whole season. It's why I was surprised to see him on the first team bench vs Northampton. Warne obviously likes him, so it'll be interesting to see if he's loaned out next season, or hang around as a first team backup CB (playing most weeks for the U21s)

38 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Wheeldon booked for diving? It looked like a penalty from the camera angle and nothing like a dive.

McAndrew was booked in the 88th minute for a 'dive'. I assume you mean that one?

The biased commentators claimed he started diving before any contact so he was fairly penalised. McAndrew's body movement wasn't consistent with someone diving.

My first instinct was a penalty. From the replays, it looked like he stumbled before being brought down. I think the fair decision would have been 'play-on', and the worst decision calling it a dive.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

51 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

McAndrew was booked in the 88th minute for a 'dive'. I assume you mean that one?

The biased commentators claimed he started diving before any contact so he was fairly penalised. McAndrew's body movement wasn't consistent with someone diving.

My first instinct was a penalty. From the replays, it looked like he stumbled before being brought down. I think the fair decision would have been 'play-on', and the worst decision calling it a dive.

Yes, that's the one, thanks for correcting my error. I thought he possibly slipped trying to change direction, but the fact that the keeper came out feet first with what effectively was a two-footed challenge, and that the ball carried on in the direction that McAndrew played it, it looked at the very least that he took evasive action rather than dived. As you say, 'play on' was the worst outcome I would have deduced from that. The ref should have booked the WHam player who applauded rather than McAndrew.

21 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

An interesting move - he's gone to Iceland.

Nunn will be playing in the top division with HK from the town of Kópavogur situated next to Reykjavík.  HK is reported to have to fight hard to maintain their place in the division, their first game is an away match against KA from Akureyri at 1pm today.

This is how their place looks at the moment, heh.

KAF7ECEF4E3C5C3043BB9B37571E8631F408D7714C454ECDBAEE5F65890BE04691_713x0.jpg

Edited by ramit
wording