Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

1 minute ago, ExiledinDerby said:

A well deserved draw tonight. Organised, focussed and had chances to win too. This team is definitely a Bucko team and will be ok this year. 

Radcliffe looked the part at CB tonight which also allowed Johnson to play further forward and really “coach” from the middle. 

Has he got what is needed to be a CB? Thought he is a midfielder?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1 hour ago, ExiledinDerby said:

4 at the back again. Look stronger again from Monday. Half time 0-0. 

Evans (c) 

Moore.    Radcliffe.       Cox.      Jeffcott

Fapetu.    Johnson.  Lindsay

Richards.         Brown.      Gibson-Hammond

Interesting that Johnson has moved back into his fanikiar midfield role, with Radcliffe moving to CB after looking promising in pre-season when playing in midfield.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Has he got what is needed to be a CB? Thought he is a midfielder?

He looked really quite assured there tonight. He and Cox talked well but you can see he was a leader. He defended well against Canonier who generally scores goals at an alarming rate. 

I think he’s a midfielder but if you look at the spine of the team tonight…

Evans Radcliffe Johnson Brown 

….. that’s a strong one. Evans Radcliffe and Brown are all training with first team. Evans and Brown both been at the club a long time and with Johnson coaching on the pitch that’s decent.

I think if Robinson was to get minutes in this team you could move Radcliffe to CM with him and Johnson back to CB but Fapetu needs games at this level and Radcliffe got a little over run on Monday in the middle. 

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Interesting that Johnson has moved back into his fanikiar midfield role, with Radcliffe moving to CB after looking promising in pre-season when playing in midfield.

I think tonight he was excellent “coaching” the whole team from the middle. 

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

I see you were chatting with the boss! Any gossip? 

IMG-20230818-WA0001.jpg

Sorry NDA applies.

Just basically said everyone is on the same page and it’s a long term project and it’s been a difficult transfer window.

He also said some need to realise we are a league one club.

Sorry if that’s not really gossip but if he had told me anything juicy I don’t do kiss and tell 😂

9 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Sorry NDA applies.

Just basically said everyone is on the same page and it’s a long term project and it’s been a difficult transfer window.

Sorry if that’s not really gossip but if he had told me anything juicy I don’t do kiss and tell 😂

On the contrary, that's very informative and in marked contrast to some of the absolute garbage being posted on here recently. 

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Sorry NDA applies.

That's the problem.... We are not a league one club, it's just that we have a league one team. 

13 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That's the problem.... We are not a league one club, it's just that we have a league one team. 

We are a club with a history that makes our fans think that we are a Premier or at least Championship club. We are also a club that due to indiscretions of people of power within the club, combined with poor judgment by the same people or their choice of employees, are now a League One club operating under unfair conditions applied by other people of power within the regulatory body.

We are where we are, League One! We are therefore a League one club.

5 minutes ago, richinspain said:

We are a club with a history that makes our fans think that we are a Premier or at least Championship club. We are also a club that due to indiscretions of people of power within the club, combined with poor judgment by the same people or their choice of employees, are now a League One club operating under unfair conditions applied by other people of power within the regulatory body.

But…..but….don’t you know we’re massive?

Rollseyes Whatever GIF by PotatoITV

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

With an expensive Cat.1 Academy. Which will stand little chance of holding on to any real talent nor getting decent money for them?

As we are in league 1, there will never be a better time to build a team based on academy graduates and young players recruited from other academies and so on. Much easier than trying to bring a young player into a premier league team. They have to be really exceptional to make the jump. 

36 minutes ago, richinspain said:

We are where we are, League One! We are therefore a League one club

Currently. But it's not right.

Every club has a 'natural standing' and League One is below ours. That's simply a fact.

The natural order has been bastardised by all the money in the game, however.

Some, those with the most money, have elevated themselves above their natural status on a permanent basis (barring a situation where all the money goes away or teams are limited in its use, or there are massive changes to league structure).

The majority is made up of those who've either have made good decisions / had good luck and are currently playing above (or well above) their natural level, or those (like us) who have, in pursuit of that money, made poor decisions / had poor luck and find themselves below their level.

It may take time but it usually evens out, clubs find themselves where they 'should' be and indeed the vast majority of clubs the size of Derby who've suffered a drop to this level have managed to correct course within an acceptable timeframe.

The third tier is not where Derby should be for any extended period of time, it's not something we should just accept as the norm, regardless of how we ended up here.

...and it won't be. The chairman has set his aims as establishing / stabilising us as a Championship club (which is probably our 'true' level when accounting for the bastardisation mentioned above) within the next 4 years. 

It's just that when such a good opportunity has presented itself for us to do that more quickly than initially thought possible, it stings more when that's not taken. 

36 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

The third tier is not where Derby should be for any extended period of time, it's not something we should just accept as the norm, regardless of how we ended up here.

...and it won't be. The chairman has set his aims as establishing / stabilising us as a Championship club (which is probably our 'true' level when accounting for the bastardisation mentioned above) within the next 4 years. 

It's just that when such a good opportunity has presented itself for us to do that more quickly than initially thought possible, it stings more when that's not taken. 

I agree this is not our level. The second bit is perhaps unfortunately as much open to fortune as planning. Mel had plans of establishing us in the Prem but...

So yeah opportunity should be recognised and seized. 

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

Your opinion which is fine. My opinion is that we are a higher league club with a lower league team.