Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

With an expensive Cat.1 Academy. Which will stand little chance of holding on to any real talent nor getting decent money for them?

I'm reliably told there was an enquiry last week from a PL club for one of the academy players. Derby quoted a seven figure fee (no details of the exact amount) but what was quoted was designed to put down a marker that the club was not prepared any longer to lose academy players for less than full market value. It's a good sign and with the early results from both teams it gives some confidence that we can compete in PL 2 regardless of which division for now, the first team are in. The academy is fundamental to our future in climbing back to where the club belongs. The U21 team seems to have been strengthened by recruitment designed to re-establish the club quickly in that age group. The U18 side continues along the upward turnaround since the New Year. The academy is looking competitive again.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

Just a comment on today's result from Coalville Town following Harry Evans stay there which disappointed both our club and our player and how both were disrespected by the Southern Premier League Club. Following Harry's contribution in the outstanding draw against Liverpool U21 last evening, Coalville were today at home to Needham Market. Making his debut in goal for Coalville was Tom Carter following the completion of his transfer from Hibernian which had been delayed by the process of UEFA clearing his international registration; that was the reason why Harry and the club agreed to the loan deal in the first place but which Coalville terminated early.

The good news for me today from the SPL was that Coalville lost 1-6. That's icing on the cake for me and justice delivered alongside the three excellent results for Derby County's three teams this weekend.

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I'm reliably told there was an enquiry last week from a PL club for one of the academy players. Derby quoted a seven figure fee (no details of the exact amount) but what was quoted was designed to put down a marker that the club was not prepared any longer to lose academy players for less than full market value. It's a good sign and with the early results from both teams it gives some confidence that we can compete in PL 2 regardless of which division for now, the first team are in. The academy is fundamental to our future in climbing back to where the club belongs. The U21 team seems to have been strengthened by recruitment designed to re-establish the club quickly in that age group. The U18 side continues along the upward turnaround since the New Year. The academy is looking competitive again.

This kind of feeds into what I was told this week. Clowes' is fully commiting to the academy, in terms of a (relatively) very high budget. The first team is a (relatively) low budget  with the aim of getting to the Championship as soon as possible.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Problem is, under FPPP, we don't always have a choice. That's all well and good for the contracted over 17s, but for an under 16 players it's really not up to us

39 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Problem is, under FPPP, we don't always have a choice. That's all well and good for the contracted over 17s, but for an under 16 players it's really not up to us

That's why the club has started offering contracts and scholarships to some of the academy players in advance of their 17th birthday. The mere offer of a contract, before they are old enough to sign it, gives the club the right to negotiate a transfer fee rather than have to just accept compensation for development costs of the player.

49 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

With Alex Gibson-Hammond, Henry Jeffcott and Rashawn Scott being named in the official Derby County match report for the U21s 1-1 draw with Liverpool, rather than being named as Trialist A, B and C, does this mean they’ve signed?

Match Report: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/fixtures/results/2023/08/18/u21-v-liverpool

It looks that way

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Interesting Sibley starting. Needs the minutes.

Ridd, Hawkins, Bates, Robinson and Richards all the same. Interesting no Jeffcot or Gibson-Hammond in the squad. It seems minutes for some and rest for others ahead of Spurs at PP on Friday….

Just now, ExiledinDerby said:

Ridd, Hawkins, Bates, Robinson and Richards all the same. Interesting no Jeffcot or Gibson-Hammond in the squad. It seems minutes for some and rest for others ahead of Spurs at PP on Friday….

Are you there? I'm at the cricket watching us get tanked around the ground, unfortunately. 

On 18/08/2023 at 21:56, Foreveram said:

Sorry NDA applies.

Just basically said everyone is on the same page and it’s a long term project and it’s been a difficult transfer window.

He also said some need to realise we are a league one club.

Sorry if that’s not really gossip but if he had told me anything juicy I don’t do kiss and tell 😂

On 19/08/2023 at 07:44, angieram said:

On the contrary, that's very informative and in marked contrast to some of the absolute garbage being posted on here recently. 

Thanks! 

Well to quote Mandy Rice-Davies, 'he would say that, wouldn't he'

Whether there are issues or not, he isn't going to tell supporters at Alfreton Town. 

I'm not saying there are issues, or indeed suggesting misleading comments, it's no real evidence either way.