• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

JThompson

Perry   Osayande   KRobinson   Gill

Eames   Tola

Davidson   Simons   Gough

Wheeldon

Augustien and Oguntolu came on for  Simons and Eames.

Details here: https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2023/08/26/england/premier-academy-league/liverpool-fc-under-18-academy/derby-county-fc-under-18-academy/4203214/

On 30/08/2023 at 18:10, Caerphilly Ram said:

Interview with Matt Hale about the direction of the academy moving forward;

Lots of talk about integrating style of play with the first team - also mentioned getting players ready for the first team, first thing mentioned was the players being fit enough to do the job the gaffa wants! 😄 

27 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Payment from Aston Villa after Omari Kellyman made his senior debut:

https://x.com/tomcollomosse/status/1697493146404352361?s=61&t=NIq6qn3AC17IAdlSn51cGQ 

It makes you wonder where Kellyman would be if he'd stayed with us. Would he be in our first team? 

Has AVFC's coaching really pushed him on because making your debut in a game of that magnitude and by all accounts close to MOTM, he's progressed a lot over the last 18 months. 

Let's just hope this new coaching set-up we now have will start to produce more and better quality players. 

Yeah good point, @Bald Eagle's Barmy Army  at age of 15 I was playing for Derby (school of Excellence back then!) , then went to Chesterfield (for games, as Derby GK was far better), then to Norwich (who had just finished 3rd in fledging PL) and basically I was not good enough, but highly rated with England trials.

Highest I played at senior was Northern Counties East, so being good at 15 is not the same as being a world beater.

Which is why I like hearing about Harry E and Thompo doing well, when I was at the club we had another great England U15 keeper called Jon Thompson, he was eventually deemed too small and joined the Navy, I know this as I joined the Army and met him a few years after!

Eric, still rates me though 😀

14 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Yeah good point, @Bald Eagle's Barmy Army  at age of 15 I was playing for Derby (school of Excellence back then!) , then went to Chesterfield (for games, as Derby GK was far better), then to Norwich (who had just finished 3rd in fledging PL) and basically I was not good enough, but highly rated with England trials.

Highest I played at senior was Northern Counties East, so being good at 15 is not the same as being a world beater.

Which is why I like hearing about Harry E and Thompo doing well, when I was at the club we had another great England U15 keeper called Jon Thompson, he was eventually deemed too small and joined the Navy, I know this as I joined the Army and met him a few years after!

Eric, still rates me though 😀

Without the right coaching and set up, you can only do so much on your own. 

Kellyman was obviously very good but surely not AVFC first team ready within 18 months - that has to be who he's had around him in that time. 

Fair play to the lad - gut wrenching he isn't doing this with Derby but we will not be able to offer European football any time soon. 

7 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Without the right coaching and set up, you can only do so much on your own. 

Kellyman was obviously very good but surely not AVFC first team ready within 18 months - that has to be who he's had around him in that time. 

Fair play to the lad - gut wrenching he isn't doing this with Derby but we will not be able to offer European football any time soon. 

Exactly, I'm a Derby fan, love Derby and my old man was mates with the 70's lot, Rodger even had me playing for the Ex-Rams Allstars, but as a kid you have to go for the highest level available as far as I am concerned.

Beating Derby 1-0 at U16 was one of my fave memories, sorry Rams, but you look after your career, ability to play and money, who you support is very very down the list.

I know we hate it as Rams fans, but it's true.

I love the talk from @Brailsford Ram and @ExiledinDerby from two very very good keepers, I have a mate who was at Everton and now at Farnborough , Pat Nash, I'm almost certain that both of our keepers could perform really well at NL leve like he isl, I know the difference from an 18 year old challenging you to a man doing the same, in fact it's why I was let go from Chesterfield as they didn't know how well I'd do against Dion Dublin in the Central League. *spoiler I'd have been wrecked*

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

It makes you wonder where Kellyman would be if he'd stayed with us. Would he be in our first team? 

Has AVFC's coaching really pushed him on because making your debut in a game of that magnitude and by all accounts close to MOTM, he's progressed a lot over the last 18 months. 

Let's just hope this new coaching set-up we now have will start to produce more and better quality players. 

He’d have 100 first team apps if he’d stayed at Derby!