Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

Good to see our pressing got rewarded with a penalty btw. Think we will score a good number of goals from defensive mistakes this season.

NML's choice to shoot rather than play in to the run of Bird is the type of things we really need to correct this year. Far too many times our offensive players have made weird decisions in the final third last season. I can't understand how professional footballers so often neglect the obvious easy option in order to try something really difficult. It was NML this time but others do it on a regular basis as well. Just let the ball do the job lads!

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Out of interest @Srg what are you hoping we get from a striker? That’s a genuine question as you’ve admitted to not being impressed with the links and Collins doesn’t seem to do it for you, interested what you’re hoping for? 

Under 30 (preferably by at least a couple of years) and someone who has pace and is a bit more athletic. Something we haven’t had in too many years. Ladapo just about fits the bill apart from being 30, and no other vague link has yet. It’s one of the reasons I’m desperate for Brown to be given a chance as much as possible this pre-season. Even at 17, if he can fill even some of this then it’ll help no end. 

7 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

But your opinions and comments on others who have different views to you say otherwise. My comments about Collins are not 'just plain nasty'. You are commenting on me not my opinion of Collins - what does that say about you?

How about you allow others to have differing opinions.

I do Roy, and they are welcome to shoot back. 

There’s a thing about opinions, and this much misused phrase “have respect for others opinions”

I disagree. I respect others right the have an opinion (I’d fight to the last for that) but that is quite differed from respecting the contents of that opinion. 

Thought Birds pressing was excellent first half but we only really looked like we had any control in the midfield when he played deeper and got on the ball. Hoping Washingtons hold up play is as good as described were really missing somebody to put the ball into and keep it so the rest of the team can catch up, this is why we play balls down the channels more often than not. 

The coaching staff have alluded to 2-3 more signings we need a striker and some creativity in the middle judging by the games so far.

1 hour ago, jono said:

I do Roy, and they are welcome to shoot back. 

There’s a thing about opinions, and this much misused phrase “have respect for others opinions”

I disagree. I respect others right the have an opinion (I’d fight to the last for that) but that is quite differed from respecting the contents of that opinion. 

I didn't ask you to respect an opinion. But I did question your opinion of the fans' posting their opinion. There is the difference you didn't acknowledge.

Anyway I still don't rate Collins as a footballer, but I hope if he is picked to play he scores shedloads for us! #COYR

Just now, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Thought Birds pressing was excellent first half but we only really looked like we had any control in the midfield when he played deeper and got on the ball. Hoping Washingtons hold up play is as good as described were really missing somebody to put the ball into and keep it so the rest of the team can catch up, this is why we play balls down the channels more often than not. 

The coaching staff have alluded to 2-3 more signings we need a striker and some creativity in the middle judging by the games so far.

Bird looked a cut above and did really well to win the penalty, he should have taken it! 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Basically I found the overall performance very underwhelming. The style and patterns of play were poor. 

We shouldn’t really be surprised given that last year’s inspiration came almost uniquely from McGoldrick.

We might get crosses in this year but don’t expect too much sexy football.

19 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We shouldn’t really be surprised given that last year’s inspiration came almost uniquely from McGoldrick.

We’re in league 1. Could have football that looks like @David’s arse and if it wins matches that’s all that matters. Unless you’d rather be MK Dons, known for playing decent football at this level but not getting close to getting out of it? Let’s not forget, our Champagne football of the last 10 years took us precisely nowhere but an admin assisted relegation. 

19 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Depends on your definition, McGoldrick was all about that gentle touch, seeing possibilities others couldn’t and pushing the boundaries of enjoyment in a confident and reassured manner, whereas a lot of my experience is more in line with how we’ll play this year, direct, quick penetration without too much slow build up and an explosive finish.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

We’re in league 1. Could have football that looks like @David’s arse and if it wins matches that’s all that matters. Unless you’d rather be MK Dons, known for playing decent football at this level but not getting close to getting out of it? Let’s not forget, our Champagne football of the last 10 years took us precisely nowhere but an admin assisted relegation. 

My arse is beautiful, not gonna lie.

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Depends on your definition, McGoldrick was all about that gentle touch, seeing possibilities others couldn’t and pushing the boundaries of enjoyment in a confident and reassured manner, whereas a lot of my experience is more in line with how we’ll play this year, direct, quick penetration without too much slow build up and an explosive finish.

Let’s hope we can get it up quickly enough.

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Come on you Rams😎

9 hours ago, sage said:

Warne tells the players that today's levels are good enough and Hamshaw says Bird was the only one who played well.

Sounds like the coaches agreed with most of what has been said on here.   

Aren't good enough ffs

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

Our pure champagne football lasted 18 months in reality.

It took us to a play off final we dominated and we were in the top 2 when we started buying prima donnas. 

Just now, sage said:

Our pure champagne football lasted 18 months in reality.

It took us to a play off final we dominated and we were in the top 2 when we started buying prima donnas. 

And that brief flash in the pan wasn’t brought to you by any exceptional footballers when we signed them, they just knitted together well. Hughes the exceptional, albeit not a signing. 

Just now, Srg said:

And that brief flash in the pan wasn’t brought to you by any exceptional footballers when we signed them, they just knitted together well. Hughes the exceptional, albeit not a signing. 

Martin was exceptional too.

It didn't have to be a flash in the pan. MacClaren inherited a team he could inspire but ultimately didn't understand.