Summer Rumour Mill

sage

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I believe Portsmouth went in for Dobbin for this season but pulled out due to the cost in terms of loan fee and wages wanted combined. expect him loaned out on the last day of the window or played by Everton this season

I wasn’t calling for Dobbin to be loaned per se, just using his example as a young premier league forward that was loaned to a league one club. Perhaps we’ll get another of that ilk this season, I just don’t know of any good examples to suggest in the discussion as I don’t watch much academy football.

29 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Oh ok. Was just trying to expand the conversation is all. I keep seeing people questioning Warne and the recruitment staff for having not found this pacy, young forward. As yet I’ve not seen many viable options that fit within our apparent restrictions.
I thought Lee Bonis would be a shout when he was linked, but he signed a new deal. Sam Smith was a goalscorer at this level last year but not young and pacy as such, and joined Reading so that’s a moot point. Nombe has been suggested by a few but seems Exeter want big money for him. Alfie May is a talent at this level but wanted a move closer to family, and perhaps the fee involved was prohibitive too. Looking at non-league and league two’s top scorers last season we couldn’t afford Mullin or Langstaff it seems due to ongoing restrictions, and most of league two’s top scorers are older strikers that spending a fee on might be received as bad business. 

Perhaps a Dobbin type loan again might be a good shout, not sure which clubs have that ready made young striker to loan us that will guarantee goals and create moments out of nothing, using Dobbin as an example he wasn’t held in high regard by some fans. 
It’s almost as if we could do we collectively adjusting our expectations as the options available to us are currently scarce. 

Dobbin, at the current rate Everton are moving in this summer's transfer window, will be playing as their number 1 or back up striker this season for them.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Dobbin, at the current rate Everton are moving in this summer's transfer window, will be playing as their number 1 or back up striker this season for them.

Does seem that way.
But again, I was just using Dobbin as an illustrative example of the kind of raw young forward we may end up with on loan given the lack of other options available to the club.

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Does seem that way.
But again, I was just using Dobbin as an illustrative example of the kind of raw young forward we may end up with on loan given the lack of other options available to the club.

Yes was more of a compare and contrast Everton with our current situation regards our perceived inability to get a Grade A striker in for free.

Dobbin might end up leading the line for Everton in the Prem, a player a number of posters don't believe is adequate enough to play for us in League 1.

From Warnes comments about 200-300k + wages would mean 1 player, it seems to point to a budget left of around 800k....that would also lean into his 2 to 3 players comment as that would be 5k per week for 3 players. In football terms thats not a lot.

However, surely Knight & Bieliks wages combined were close to 30k which is 1.5m a year.

I think we are somewhere in the middle and have around 1m wage budget left, so around 19-20k per week - how many decent players can we bring in within that?

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

From Warnes comments about 200-300k + wages would mean 1 player, it seems to point to a budget left of around 800k....that would also lean into his 2 to 3 players comment as that would be 5k per week for 3 players. In football terms thats not a lot.

However, surely Knight & Bieliks wages combined were close to 30k which is 1.5m a year.

I think we are somewhere in the middle and have around 1m wage budget left, so around 19-20k per week - how many decent players can we bring in within that?

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

I am not employed by a football club as a scout or recruitment professional so I'll leave that to the people at DCFC who are. A fairly big deal was made of the chap we got from Oxford Utd who was supposed to be very good at this sort of thing, so maybe you should ask him.

You can only scout players that exist. Other than in your head, there is no player that matches your description for a price that would match our budget. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

There's yourself and a handful of other forum members whom are regular malcontents with their posts that our recruitment is garbage as so far we haven't been able to get in this mythical pacey, proven goalscorer whom is available on a free, whose wages matches our budget and that no other scout in the entire football league has heard about. 

Have you ever considered that there's a valid reason for this?

You and your cohorts just don't seem to want to move away from your stance. 

Hang on fella, not once have I come close to saying our recruitment is ‘garbage’ or anything of the sort. I’m that much of a ‘malcontent’ that I’ve renewed my season ticket even though I live around 120 miles away from PP as well as my away membership, but I’m entitled to an opinion on our failure to recruitment an adequate replacement for McGoldrick. And it is a failure, whatever the reasons might be. 

6 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Hang on fella, not once have I come close to saying our recruitment is ‘garbage’ or anything of the sort. I’m that much of a ‘malcontent’ that I’ve renewed my season ticket even though I live around 120 miles away from PP as well as my away membership, but I’m entitled to an opinion on our failure to recruitment an adequate replacement for McGoldrick. And it is a failure, whatever the reasons might be. 

Thinks you're still muddling two subjects up again.

I would never question anyone loyalty to the club or support neither would I question their right to an opinion.

It's when you persist in using emotive words such as failure in relation to our transfer dealings that I do question. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

You can only scout players that exist. Other than in your head, there is no player that matches your description for a price that would match our budget. 

This. This. This. 

We can't sign what doesn't exist. I'm after a new car, I've only got a certain amount of money to spend. I might want a sports car that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds but you can't buy one of them for ten grand.

18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Thinks you're still muddling two subjects up again.

I would never question anyone loyalty to the club or support neither would I question their right to an opinion.

It's when you persist in using emotive words such as failure in relation to our transfer dealings that I do question. 

Well we haven't succeeded in recruiting for the area of the pitch that Warne banged on about needing strengthening for so long, despite trying very hard.

Sounds like a slight bit of failure to me, he clearly didn't sell the project to Rhodes.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Well we haven't succeeded in recruiting for the area of the pitch that Warne banged on about needing strengthening for so long, despite trying very hard.

Sounds like a slight bit of failure to me, he clearly didn't sell the project to Rhodes.

Or more likely couldn't sell a pay cut to Rhodes. Not a failure at all.

19 minutes ago, Jayram said:

We're trying to replace last season's player with the best shot accuracy and minutes per goal ratio in league 1. This player has left for nothing and we are trying to replace him for next to nothing. On top of this PW has his own exacting requirements of a player and I know that certain players who are backed up by some impressive stats, were not considered because of their attitudes. 

Last season proved that a 22 goal striker is not the golden bullet for promotion, but maybe a more balanced squad without a star player will get the job done. Last season with Didzy's goals and his songs on the terraces, we seemed to be a one man team. Hopefully, this season, the rest of the squad won't feel like bit part players to one star player.