Summer Rumour Mill

sage

10 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

To be fair to PW he hasn't paid a single penny in transfer fees. I thought we would at least be able to spend 200-300 k on a player considering we have sold Knight and Bielik 

Warne could have spent a fee on player(s) but chose to put that money towards the wages of OAPs instead.

2 hours ago, Big Trav said:

I’ve been told there’s growing frustrations between Warne and mainly Pearce due to the budget. Im genuinly worried about the rest of this season

This could be any kind of can of worms from poor communication to difference of opinion to not being given the full facts or to not fully understanding the implications.

My feelings towards Stephen Pearce have cooled from what they were but he's certainly not got a glowing halo. I could also concieve Warne going "so that means I can have x" when that's "not quite" what he was told then gets the hump when X doesn't happen. Certainly scope between the two characters to engineer a falling out.

17 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Birds case,

- Going to a coach that he likes and probably likes,

-  He will also be getting higher wages 

- Can’t risk stalling his career here if we don’t go up for another season or two

Cashins case,

- The pull of the premier league for a league one player must be near impossible to turn down

- Brighton are one of the most exciting clubs in Europe at developing players at the moment

- Also will get a great pay boost, aswell as Brighton being a nice place to live

Knight and Bielik both wanted to go to help there international careers aswell as playing at a higher level.

Matt Clarke went from League one to Brighton and didn't kick a ball for them. Just kept going out on loan season after season and eventually ended up at Boro. Highly likely same will apply to Cashin if he goes now. Better for his career to stay and give his best for Derby in my opinion. He's not ready for the premier League.

9 hours ago, Big Trav said:

I’ve been told there’s growing frustrations between Warne and mainly Pearce due to the budget. Im genuinly worried about the rest of this season

You can understand it from all sides, Warne would want at least a portion of the money raised from sales to reinvest. I think  Pearce has been told to run the club without the owner telling him what to do (as he was by Mel) and is despirate to balance the books and look after the club going forward and not be in the mess he was associated with last time. Warne didnt want to own the club he bought it to save it (and we are grateful), he also in the football world is not a rich man and I would imagine cannot afford to underwrite much debt.

Solution, Some shares in the club to be sold to a group/person/company that will invest prudently in a post Mel Derby way. 

I dont want to lose DC as he is a voice of reason and why he is here I dont think we will do anything stupid

6 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

You can understand it from all sides, Warne would want at least a portion of the money raised from sales to reinvest. I think  Pearce has been told to run the club without the owner telling him what to do (as he was by Mel) and is despirate to balance the books and look after the club going forward and not be in the mess he was associated with last time. Warne didnt want to own the club he bought it to save it (and we are grateful), he also in the football world is not a rich man and I would imagine cannot afford to underwrite much debt.

Solution, Some shares in the club to be sold to a group/person/company that will invest prudently in a post Mel Derby way. 

I dont want to lose DC as he is a voice of reason and why he is here I dont think we will do anything stupid

That thought of investors had crossed my mind. Think you meant DC there. Cheers.

10 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Surely the budget is set at the start of the window and then that's it? Has the budget been reduced? Does Warne want extra? Was Warne expecting some of the Knight / Bielik funds but they've now been used to settle the Lech Poznan dispute? 

Hopefully some of the money from any potential sale of Bird / Cashin will be available to reinvest.

12 minutes ago, Derby2433 said:

Surely the budget is set at the start of the window and then that's it? Has the budget been reduced? Does Warne want extra? Was Warne expecting some of the Knight / Bielik funds but they've now been used to settle the Lech Poznan dispute? 

Hopefully some of the money from any potential sale of Bird / Cashin will be available to reinvest.

The budget may have set at the start of the transfer window, based on what we feel can afford and also recent fees and wages paid out. But what happens if the goalposts have been moved, all of a sudden, fees and wages for players which cost X last year are now costing X plus 40%?

I think we've all personally experienced this in real life, especially in the last couple of years. 

So we have to make a decision, either pay more to get what we want or stick to our budget and lower our sights.

12 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Basically what I alluded to the other day in another post - for what it’s worth we should always stick to our budget because we know what happens when we don’t 

11 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

To be fair to PW he hasn't paid a single penny in transfer fees. I thought we would at least be able to spend 200-300 k on a player considering we have sold Knight and Bielik 

Other managers in this league tend to not spend anything on transfers but they tend to sign young players warne has been selling or wanting to sell ours

I get to sticking to your budget but maybe with the sales of Knight & Bielik Warne thought he could use some of that money, it appears he cant so in Knights case we have lost a regular starter & have no extra budget room to replace him. So if Warne wanted 2 strikers for example, he now has to replace Knight & compromise a striker. So I can see why Warne is getting frustrated if this is the case.

4 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Here's a table I put together of League One clubs' transfer activity (according to transfermarkt) this summer so far, which I'm not really sure where to post and can't be arsed to say anything further about

image.png.1ba90f03e457bff91def38b752c7abcc.png

Oh if you sort the columns by Average Age I think we come top? What do we win? Lots of players moving around it seems.

9 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Here's a table I put together of League One clubs' transfer activity (according to transfermarkt) this summer so far, which I'm not really sure where to post and can't be arsed to say anything further about

Thank you, thats useful although some frees can cost a lot due to wages etc. If I remember right our 2 'buys' are dependant on success? 

Yes, we come top by average age, but if you took loans out of that list I don't think we'd be top then. What's most interesting to me is the fact that other teams have all been utilising the loan market and we've not made any moves in that regard at all.

We've been told (or led to believe) that the best players will become available for loan towards the end of the window, but is this actually true?

I was kind of expecting Portsmouth level activity over the summer. A couple of cheap signings, some loans, some frees and a low average age. But for whatever reason, it hasn't happened. Couple of weeks of window left before we really hit the panic stations.

18 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Only team not to make a loan deal. Oldest squad. Damning.