Summer Rumour Mill

sage

42 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I felt that there was quite an improvement in Dobbin over the season, believing that he was on the brink of adding goals to his contribution towards the end of the season. A number of times he would cut in from the left and try and curl one inside the far post with a very deliberate shot, they never came off, but also they were never that far off target either.

I thought he started average and got a lot worse.  By the end he wasn't beating a man and his shots were travelling at 5 mph. How Barkhuizen lost his place to him in January when he was having the time of his life, I still have no idea.

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Why do you think Clowes would reduce the budget so soon after committing to it?

Because something changed. The Jozwiak ruling seemed to occur around the time things seem to change.

It's one of 2 things, either the budget was reduced or our recruitment process was flawed in it's budgeting. Take your pick.

Speaking just about wages, do we think this seasons overall wage budget is less/more than last seasons?

Bielik I’d assume can’t be included if Birmingham covered his wages last year but losing Knight, McGoldrick, Davies, Stearman and Chester who were surely on the same or higher wages than our new signings?

I don’t know if anyone has done any rough calculations (or if there’s any point if it’s all just guess work) but to me it feels like if we sign 2 or 3 more then we might be slightly up on last year but not by a great deal.

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Why do you think Clowes would reduce the budget so soon after committing to it?

We have 3 young players with 12 months on their contracts.  Bar Cashins who'd just come into the side, they're probably both on an 8-10 k we don't you leaving weekly salary I'd assume.  If other clubs are interested or even if their not and were looking to renew them, I'd assume there will be little commitment for more signings till they recommit or are sold and they won't be looking for a wage drop so it may be pricey.  Possibly too pricey, so one may leave to accommodate the others and provide loan fee money.  I expect this Bird may have flown in the next two weeks bar injury.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Couldn't that equally be the budget was flawed against our recruitment requirements?

That would explain an overall quality deficit.

However it doesn't explain the seemingly sudden realisation that we need 4 players and can only afford 2. If you know the budget and know how may players you need, you budget accordingly.

We have either overshot with our recruitment costs or the goalposts have moved.

This is not a criticism of DC if the goalposts have moved. There are a dozen, plausible, acceptable explanations.

Edited by sage

1 minute ago, sage said:

That would explain an overall quality deficit.

However it doesn't explain the seemingly sudden realisation that we need 4 players and can only afford 2. If you know  budget and know how may players you need, you budget accordingly.

We have either overshot with our recruitment costs or the goalposts hbae moved.

This a criticism of DC if the goalposts have moved. There are a dozen, plausible, acceptable explanations.

Warne has been at pains to point at twice now during interviews that he is not going to get players in for the sake of it and they have to be better than what he currently has, and if it was that easy then he would have done so already (in his interview today)

So by the fact that he may not make any further additions to his playing squad before the transfer window closes then this would infer its simple not possible for him to get a calibre of player in with the money he has. 

If he's overshot, rather than Warne not being able to manage his budget it could also mean that the budget set was totally unrealistic in the first place to get x players of a calibre into the club.

18 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Speaking just about wages, do we think this seasons overall wage budget is less/more than last seasons?

Bielik I’d assume can’t be included if Birmingham covered his wages last year but losing Knight, McGoldrick, Davies, Stearman and Chester who were surely on the same or higher wages than our new signings?

I don’t know if anyone has done any rough calculations (or if there’s any point if it’s all just guess work) but to me it feels like if we sign 2 or 3 more then we might be slightly up on last year but not by a great deal.

I don't know really.  As I understood it McGoldrick was on a surprisingly low wage as Derby were the only club who came calling last summer bar Notts.  Stearman was probably on a low wage as well.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we're still funding some of Bieliks ridiculous wage and that may have impacted budget.  

Chester was still training with us but has disappeared,  Shame about his injury as he really didn't break sweat in this league when he played.  His reading of the carthouse he was normally marking was an easy day out.  If we could get him on a pay as you play if he's without a club, he'd be worth bringing back. 

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

Oooh, a rumour of an incoming signing that isn't over 30! But he's from Forest...

In all seriousness though, he could be a good addition. Seemed to have a strong start at Reading last season, before dropping out of favour when the whole team form dropped off a cliff. His contract is up at Forest after this season and I doubt they're thinking of keeping him on, so if we get him in and he does well, then maybe a good free transfer next summer.

More of a defensive midfielder, with a decent engine, so I imagine it would free up Bird/Hourihane to get involved further up the pitch and hopefully shield the defence a little bit.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Chester was still training with us but has disappeared,  Shame about his injury as he really didn't break sweat in this league when he played.  His reading of the carthouse he was normally marking was an easy day out.  If we could get him on a pay as you play if he's without a club, he'd be worth bringing back. 

He's been offered a contract by Barrow, he's been training up there.

6 hours ago, roboto said:

Oooh, a rumour of an incoming signing that isn't over 30! But he's from Forest...

In all seriousness though, he could be a good addition. Seemed to have a strong start at Reading last season, before dropping out of favour when the whole team form dropped off a cliff. His contract is up at Forest after this season and I doubt they're thinking of keeping him on, so if we get him in and he does well, then maybe a good free transfer next summer.

More of a defensive midfielder, with a decent engine, so I imagine it would free up Bird/Hourihane to get involved further up the pitch and hopefully shield the defence a little bit.

He is no faster than Bird or Smith, would just be another squad player, but at this stage maybe that's all we can get.

He would be an upgrade on Thompson or Robinson, one of which could end up on loan. 

Edited by sage

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I thought he started average and got a lot worse.  By the end he wasn't beating a man and his shots were travelling at 5 mph. How Barkhuizen lost his place to him in January when he was having the time of his life, I still have no idea.

It was at a time when Barkhauzen was doing and playing very decently, maybe just maybe the temporary manager had signed him from Everton with a promise to play him or we would have had to start paying more money to Everton, that’s just a guess on my part but things like that happen when dealing with premiership youngsters 

9 hours ago, europia said:

Even without EFL restrictions I can only see the club operating within it's means. Considering the horrendous financial position that Mr Morris left the club in, it's totally understandable that the current owner isn't going to allow the club to spend more than it earns. Supporters will have to get used to that, and Warne presumably has bought into it.  

Get used to what? Years of treading water in League One and being bypassed by other clubs just so we can be ‘sustainable’? If that’s the plan then Mr Clowes will have to get used to attendances half the size of what we have now and half the revenue or sell the club because realistically there’s no way any club with ambition to get out of the lower leagues can do it sustainably, it’s a fantasy to think otherwise.

Edited by Jayram

7 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Heard a whisper about Tyrese Fornah on loan. CDM/CM at Forest.

When I was looking at players who had been out on loan in League One and the Championship, he is one that caught my attention. 

A proven performer in League One already, he was really well liked at Reading last season and their fans would like him back. He ticks a lot of boxes but walking into the building as a Forest player is going to stick in the throat to a lot of fans and anything other than the second coming of Messi is going to lead to him getting dogs of abuse so I think it's probably best for him, that unless it's a permanent deal, to join anywhere else. It's just not fair on him.

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

When I was looking at players who had been out on loan in League One and the Championship, he is one that caught my attention. 

A proven performer in League One already, he was really well liked at Reading last season and their fans would like him back. He ticks a lot of boxes but walking into the building as a Forest player is going to stick in the throat to a lot of fans and anything other than the second coming of Messi is going to lead to him getting dogs of abuse so I think it's probably best for him, that unless it's a permanent deal, to join anywhere else. It's just not fair on him.

He has barely played for Forest. It would have no impact on 90% of fans. 

We have signed high profile forest players in the past with barely an issue.

29 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Why should it? We’ve done it in the past with Terry Hennessy, Frank Wignall and more recently Floodgates, and all we’ll do is take his transferring to us as a sign that having tasted the Trees he now hates them!