Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Yeah I agree mate. 3-4 is needed for me.

I think we need a striker, creative mid and a really strong holding midfielder to go with Waghorn.

Everything you’ve mentioned plus cover at left back.

43 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I’ve watched Warne’s post match interview on the Derby site this morning.

The most frightening part was that he alluded to there being shortcomings with the squad last year that still persist now.

As he’s apparently already blown most of this year’s budget on the wages of experienced players so you’ve got to wonder how many years it might take to get the squad he wants?

When Warne was first appointed I posted on here that, given the state of the squad at the time and the financial restrictions etc, we were basically writing off at least 2 seasons.  He was going to have to replace the majority of the squad with players that could play his way, and I didn't think it was worth doing that, given his record in the Championship etc.  A lot of people were not happy with me posting that - "Warne guarantees promotion" they told me.  Nothing I have seen in the nearly a year since then has changed my mind.

This Is the issue I've been talking about since last season. Cue the long post: 

Last season a few things struck me which have not been addressed.

Collins last season papered over his flaws by nicking the odd goal here and there, and was often covered by McGoldrick being the main man. Collins inability to take players on, hold the ball up, pick out clinical passes, individual brilliance etc is everything we now lack in the final third since Mcgoldrick left.

Somehow, all of the above in regards to Collins abilities have been completely forgotten and we have now made him our main man.. we have signed more back up work horse standard strikers rather than doing the obvious and signing a legitimate goal scorer. Alfie May would of been a perfect addition. Someone who can get goals out of nothing, someone who can play between the lines, and something different to what we have or appear to be signing.

This doesn't mean Collins isn't useful because in the right position, he's a decent finisher, the problem is he's trying to do the job of a player we need but don't have, and unfortunately all those qualities needed to do that role, he doesn't have. 

We desperately need an Alfie May, Nombe, or something similar. More old work horses aren't the answer, we need a bit of class and if we have a good budget for this league.. I'd like to see us use it while we have the chance instead of relying on old freebies and then realising it's not working when it's too late.

Collins isn't the scape goat, but he's definitely not the answer.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

When Warne was first appointed I posted on here that, given the state of the squad at the time and the financial restrictions etc, we were basically writing off at least 2 seasons.  He was going to have to replace the majority of the squad with players that could play his way, and I didn't think it was worth doing that, given his record in the Championship etc.  A lot of people were not happy with me posting that - "Warne guarantees promotion" they told me.  Nothing I have seen in the nearly a year since then has changed my mind.

Whilst that is true we would have brought him under the conditions of get the best out of what youve got

its easy to make excuses for the guy but at the end of the day he needs to deliver this season, he is working under difficult conditions but its what he was brought in for - to work to a budget

Edited by alram

I’ve got some info from a good mate who works in a senior role at a championship club that I’ve held off sharing as it could be reassuring and could (probably will) be interpreted negatively by some. I will be deliberately vague because I want to protect that relationship AND as yet I haven’t seen the situation he claims play out.
However, he said we were in talks to sign a highly rated young forward player on loan from this club (positive), but the player is now going somewhere else instead (that’s the negative). I’ve known this fella over 25 years and have no reason to believe he’s winding me up, but also there’s been no young player leave said club on loan in the past week. He didn’t give me a name for the player but said he reckons he’d top score in this league. I’ve been waiting to see who leaves on loan to figure out who it is.

Why mention it now? It at least suggests we are trying to sign younger players than those linked in the media. It also suggests there’s still some work being done quietly in the background that isn’t being leaked as there’s been no links between Derby and this club so far this summer. Thinking on it now, it could also fit Warne’s comments about a deal almost being done and things changing. 

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’ve got some info from a good mate who works in a senior role at a championship club that I’ve held off sharing as it could be reassuring and could (probably will) be interpreted negatively by some. I will be deliberately vague because I want to protect that relationship AND as yet I haven’t seen the situation he claims play out.
However, he said we were in talks to sign a highly rated young forward player on loan from this club (positive), but the player is now going somewhere else instead (that’s the negative). I’ve known this fella over 25 years and have no reason to believe he’s winding me up, but also there’s been no young player leave said club on loan in the past week. He didn’t give me a name for the player but said he reckons he’d top score in this league. I’ve been waiting to see who leaves on loan to figure out who it is.

Why mention it now? It at least suggests we are trying to sign younger players than those linked in the media. It also suggests there’s still some work being done quietly in the background that isn’t being leaked as there’s been no links between Derby and this club so far this summer. Thinking on it now, it could also fit Warne’s comments about a deal almost being done and things changing. 

He going somewhere else in league 1?

2 minutes ago, Topram said:

Hmm wonder what club and who it could be 

I’ll give a little more info if and when I work it out myself. I’ve looked at the young strikers they have in their squad and one in particular is a real talent but has played first team games so not sure it’d be him. I guess that bits a moot point anyway if he’s going elsewhere. 
Just wanted to vaguely share what I’ve been told to reinforce the idea we might not solely be looking at strikers approaching pensionable age.

2 hours ago, inter politics said:

Do we need cover there? For me, less a priority. Elder, Forsyth, Wilson, Sibley maybe

I think we do, Sibley’s  wasted there, Wilson will cover the right, Fozzy was great on Saturday but probably couldn’t do it all season as it’s a physically demanding role and we’ll need someone to come in when Elder’s shattered.