Summer Rumour Mill

sage

11 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

The longer we end up waiting, the bigger the pressure on Warne to pull a rabbit out of the hat. If our statement signing ends up being Washington, and we have a bad start to the season, there's gonna be a lot of supporter pushback and his head will be on the block.

But he's a smart guy and he knows that. He's downplaying the budgets here because he knows the Derby name is adding a premium to what the agents are demanding.

If you look around leagues 1 and 2, outside of Clark Harris there are not a lot of strikers with good records. May was one, but he's the wrong side of 30. If it's Washington and Ladapo, so be it, I just hope it's done soon.

But that’s the thing, people say to use the money we get for Bielik and Knight to sign JCH. People need to realise we won’t be spending anywhere near a million Nevermind 2/3 million to get JCH. Leigh Curtis already said it in one of his Q+A’s. I’m hoping Sam Nombe is the player we sign. 

It’s ok to have concerns about Warne’s comments and not be a doom merchant. It’s frustrating but it sounds to me that they’re banging their head against the wall trying to find suitable strikers that fits their profile. They obviously have one they’re working on, albeit did drop the caveat that ‘7 other clubs’ are trying. It makes me think it’s likely a free agent, along with his older goalscorer comment, I’d be surprised if they aren’t the same player - it seems very specific. 

I guess we will see as the summer progresses. After Clowes was upbeat about our budget and optimistic about what we can do, Warne poured cold water on it and said he doesn’t have a budget just an overall figure he has to work towards. He seemed happy enough, but obviously seems to want to focus it on wages rather than transfer fees. I guess we will have to wait and see how the summer shapes up.

The recruitment team need to start cooking something up!

22 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If we are struggling to sign strikers, I'm very suprised we didn't go for Cole Stockton, 50 odd goals in 150 odd games for Morecambe. 

I'd imagine there would be more happy about the signing than not.

When I've seen him he looks quite slow and doesn't seem to make space for himself or others.  You'd have too build the team around him and he's not good enough to warrant that. Others must think the same as he's wound up at Burton.

If we were to get 2 million for knight ideally replace him with a loan and use the money for strikers. I’d be all over nombe last year let’s say 750k rising to million and I’d take a massive punt on lee bonis from Ireland. Think valued at 300k so maybe offer 200 to 250 and if warne really wants him get Washington in as 4th choice. I’d be happy with that 

I think it’s clear that Clowes isn’t going to invest any new capital to purchase new players in terms of fees. That’s fair enough given what he/the Company invested to save the Club. The business is going to be financed on a straight forward revenue=expenses basis. Sound and safe business practice and understandable given the history etc.

We fans tend to be fickle when the money being spent is not our own (notwithstanding the small amount we inject via a season ticket etc) and the Plan to move up the league(s) is clearly a multi-year one. Once again, fair enough.

The window isn’t closed yet by a long way but it’s clear (bar some ‘rabbit out of the hat’ PW trick) that we are going to struggle to find good strikers (which we badly need ) without the payment of competitive transfer fees. It’s such a shame if that is the case because I think we all know that this year League 1 is in many ways, on the face of it, the ‘weakest’ it’s been for several seasons. That being the case us getting some good strikers in is in my opinion likely to be the deciding factor as to whether we can make a realistic push for promotion- certainly via the auto two spots.

After all the  money that has often been wasted on poor purchases over the last few seasons it is just so ironic that the lack of what would have been regarded as a misery 500k in the past may hinder our promotion chances this year…Yes, full weight also being given to length of contract term/wages adding up to the total aggregate investment in a single player (eg Alfie May). Such is the way of the World I guess..

This isn’t a complaint but just a little realization in my own mind that to build ourselves up to be expecting to automatically challenge for promotion this coming season may be a little optimistic… 

COYR

3 hours ago, caymanram said:

I think it’s clear that Clowes isn’t going to invest any new capital to purchase new players in terms of fees. That’s fair enough given what he/the Company invested to save the Club. The business is going to be financed on a straight forward revenue=expenses basis. Sound and safe business practice and understandable given the history etc.

We fans tend to be fickle when the money being spent is not our own (notwithstanding the small amount we inject via a season ticket etc) and the Plan to move up the league(s) is clearly a multi-year one. Once again, fair enough.

The window isn’t closed yet by a long way but it’s clear (bar some ‘rabbit out of the hat’ PW trick) that we are going to struggle to find good strikers (which we badly need ) without the payment of competitive transfer fees. It’s such a shame if that is the case because I think we all know that this year League 1 is in many ways, on the face of it, the ‘weakest’ it’s been for several seasons. That being the case us getting some good strikers in is in my opinion likely to be the deciding factor as to whether we can make a realistic push for promotion- certainly via the auto two spots.

After all the  money that has often been wasted on poor purchases over the last few seasons it is just so ironic that the lack of what would have been regarded as a misery 500k in the past may hinder our promotion chances this year…Yes, full weight also being given to length of contract term/wages adding up to the total aggregate investment in a single player (eg Alfie May). Such is the way of the World I guess..

This isn’t a complaint but just a little realization in my own mind that to build ourselves up to be expecting to automatically challenge for promotion this coming season may be a little optimistic… 

COYR

I think this is going to be the realisation and thought process of many over the coming weeks and months

some will pin it all on the manager but the reality is we’re in a league that no (us included) wants to be in. Forest had exactly the same problem attracting their targets i remember their fans going nuts as the lost out on targets to the likes of hull and Barnsley (yes thats right, the mighty barnsely) because said player didnt want to drop down to league 1.

theres going to be a massive wake up call for many, although it is easier and more convenient for them to blame the manager

i am still totally undecided on warne, but i just want to see a derby have a good 2-3 years chance at moulding their squad instead of the in the door for 8-9 months and back out again madness weve had for however long.

it didnt work so why not try the the stability route instead 

might as well.. even if its just for s**** and giggles 🤷

Edited by NottsRam77

3 hours ago, caymanram said:

COYR

I agree with you, bar the last paragraph. No excuses not to be pushing for automatics this season. Even with freebie strikers that have been mentioned. 

Its become apparent that some sides , Charlton,Portsmouth and Oxford to mention 3 have looked at the runners and riders this season and thought, spend a little bit in the right places and we might get up this season

I can see all 3 of those sides being in or around the top6 as they have recruited well

I'm not concerned yet but firepower was our main flaw last season and with Didzy gone this window has to be productive and get us some goalscorers 

There is no excuse for not being in or around Top 2 IMO that may seem harsh but we really must be looking at those top two positions 

We must hit the ground running so our business in the market is crucial ...lets hope Warne is getting the players he really wants 

I think people may be writing the season off a little early.  Warne himself has said that top two is the aim.  And if Warne is unable to recruit good players to the club why on earth was he brought in to replace Rosenior (who at the very least did prove he could do that)?

I think a lot of people will have looked at Warnes tactics from last season and decided that recruitment and motivation must be his strengths.  If recruitment proves to be a dud what are we left with?

Edited by Blondest Goat

5 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

I think people may be writing the season off a little early.  Warne himself has said that top two is the aim.  And if Warne is unable to recruit good players to the club why on earth was he brought in to replace Rosenior (who at the very least did prove he could do that)?

I think a lot of people will have looked at Warnes tactics from last season and decided that recruitment and motivation must be his strengths.  If recruitment proves to be a dud what are we left with?

The club recruits… its a process involving a lot of people. 

u would think .. and iv no reason to doubt it that he has final say on what player puts pen to paper but the process or scouting , contract negotiating , dealing with agents , dealing with other clubs, maanaging budgets is a club process with many people involved

if players dont want to join becuase we’re a league one side, or the wages arnt what they want, or the contract length isnt what they want then thats not on warne thats the club

Although needless to say it will be pinned on his door 

23 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Its become apparent that some sides , Charlton,Portsmouth and Oxford to mention 3 have looked at the runners and riders this season and thought, spend a little bit in the right places and we might get up this season

I can see all 3 of those sides being in or around the top6 as they have recruited well

I'm not concerned yet but firepower was our main flaw last season and with Didzy gone this window has to be productive and get us some goalscorers 

There is no excuse for not being in or around Top 2 IMO that may seem harsh but we really must be looking at those top two positions 

We must hit the ground running so our business in the market is crucial ...lets hope Warne is getting the players he really wants 

Excellent post. 

You’re quite right that Pompey, Charlton and Oxford have all signed some real quality. In my head I also had Fleetwood and Bristol Rovers as dark horses but their recruitment has failed them so far. 

However when we look at other promotion contenders forward line it becomes quite concerning (for now). 

Bolton - Dion Charles   
Pompey - Colby Bishop   
Posh - JCH          
Wigan - Will Keane   
Charlton - Alfie May

Not sure what Barnsley, Reading or Blackpool have but without us strengthening the forward line then our top 2 aims suddenly look more like top 6.

12 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

The club recruits… its a process involving a lot of people. 

u would think .. and iv no reason to doubt it that he has final say on what player puts pen to paper but the process or scouting , contract negotiating , dealing with agents , dealing with other clubs, maanaging budgets is a club process with many people involved

if players dont want to join becuase we’re a league one side, or the wages arnt what they want, or the contract length isnt what they want then thats not on warne thats the club

Although needless to say it will be pinned on his door 

Every manager is judged on their recruitment. 

Warne was brought in to replace an interim manager that recruited well in very difficult circumstances and had the team in 7th.  There was no uplift in the teams finishing position in the table and potentially the recruitment could also prove underwhelming (it's still way too early to judge).  In those circumstances it seems fair enough to ask questions of the manager.  

16 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Excellent post. 

You’re quite right that Pompey, Charlton and Oxford have all signed some real quality. In my head I also had Fleetwood and Bristol Rovers as dark horses but their recruitment has failed them so far. 

However when we look at other promotion contenders forward line it becomes quite concerning (for now). 

Bolton - Dion Charles   
Pompey - Colby Bishop   
Posh - JCH          
Wigan - Will Keane   
Charlton - Alfie May

Not sure what Barnsley, Reading or Blackpool have but without us strengthening the forward line then our top 2 aims suddenly look more like top 6.

There is some talent in those names listed, but it takes more than just a striker to get out of this league, as we saw ourselves last season. 
Do those teams have the right blend/depth in their squads? is their keeper up to much? Can they defend? Are they resilient physically and mentally? Those are things I’d take into consideration as much as their striking options.
Same as with our squad of course, we still need numbers for depth and balance, along with strikers, on paper however our backline and midfield looks decent, we’ve got 2 very good goalkeepers at this level too, so I’m not panicking yet. 3 or 4 key additions in the coming week or 2 and things fall into place very quickly. 

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There is some talent in those names listed, but it takes more than just a striker to get out of this league, as we saw ourselves last season. 
Do those teams have the right blend/depth in their squads? is their keeper up to much? Can they defend? Are they resilient physically and mentally? Those are things I’d take into consideration as much as their striking options.
Same as with our squad of course, we still need numbers for depth and balance, along with strikers, on paper however our backline and midfield looks decent, we’ve got 2 very good goalkeepers at this level too, so I’m not panicking yet. 3 or 4 key additions in the coming week or 2 and things fall into place very quickly. 

4 of those strikers were in the division last year and didn’t sniff automatics. 

I just keep reminding myself that Didzy was absolutely not a goal scorer before he came here. In fact, he struggled to stay fit before he came here. Only need to find the right player for this team for it to work.