Summer Rumour Mill

sage

18 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Full quotes and context in this article;

Interesting comment about looking at players between 22-32 and maybe a goalscorer outside that bracket, also says we haven’t really got a transfer budget but does have a budget to work with….ambiguous/confusing wording, think maybe we can’t spend much on fees after all? 

Goal scorer outside the 22-32 category.

I'm telling u, it will be flipping Billy Sharp.

I said it. We will try for weeks to land him and he will go to Barnsley.

Paul Warne is prrobably finding himself as a manager in a position he's never been

Manager of a side who are the big boys in the division, probably have the biggest budget, have the biggest fan base in division and the highest expectation and dare i say it favourites to win the league

Although he has experience of getting out of this division he will surely see the difference in the player that this club attracts compared to Rovrum ( No disrespect ) 

Therefore it does not surprise me that he is taking his time when it comes to spending our budget because I'm sure that is where the bulk of the budget is going in the forward line.

I know its frustrating as us fans wait for news but I think we maybe pleasantly surprised and hopefully pleased with the forwards we sign....eventually ....the better players usually take longer as there is more interest than just us  

Exciting season ahead 

COYR 

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ah yes, I just added that to your original PW pre-season interview thread.

The bit I hadn't quite got was

"I think I'm getting really close to getting one, I would ideally have four strikers (in the squad)..."

So unless Collins leaves it's now '3 better strikers rather than 4 average strikers' ie two more strikers and Collins. I'm just heading over to the Twitching thread now 😄 as there was also another bit where he said 

"I'm looking for players between 22 and 32 ideally. There might be the odd goal scorer who's outside of that bracket. That's the only thing. I just want players to come here, who want to be part of something who want to create something and, and they're the ones we're going for.

"So I've just signed really good people. I think really good footballers who give us a really good opportunity to do something and we'll continue to do that as best we can.

"Every club has its limitations. There are players I might be linked to, which are very unlikely because we have to get what we can afford."

That's Clarke-Harris out then? 😄

And several others? I doubt we have the kind of money to land “ expensive “ signings. Hope I’m wrong but don’t forget the EFL etc😎

Edited by BOB BIGGS

As a respected tweeter has pointed out PW has gone from saying that if Derby are in for a player it’s basically a done deal because of the size of the club. To now saying that half the league are competing with us for signatures. 

Also to my knowledge Bielik’s wage was included in this years budget. So if we can’t sign a couple of decent strikers with that then it’s a bad job….I get we can’t splash the cash Willy nilly but if we start the season with Collins as our main striker then questions need to be asked.

Not the most optimistic of updates from Warne. I get them trying to play down budgets etc. but the comments about us competing with half the teams in this league getting a striker in is a bit worrying. Does seem at odds with Clowes quotes last week. If it was half the league above then fair enough. But surely we can beat ANY league 1 team to a forward. 

Clowes is not going to spend recklessly regardless of the circumstances or the needs and wants of the fans. His opinion of reckless might be very different to ours.

Get used to us not being the big swinging appendages in the transfer market.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

24 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Clowes is not going to spend recklessly regardless of the circumstances or the needs and wants of the fans. His opinion of reckless might be very different to ours.

Get used to us not being the big swinging appendages in the transfer market.

That’s a strange thing to get used to when trying to get promoted, and the owner also expecting promotion!

no one’s wanting millions spent, just looking as good as last season would be a relief at the minute. 

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

As a respected tweeter has pointed out PW has gone from saying that if Derby are in for a player it’s basically a done deal because of the size of the club. To now saying that half the league are competing with us for signatures. 

Also to my knowledge Bielik’s wage was included in this years budget. So if we can’t sign a couple of decent strikers with that then it’s a bad job….I get we can’t splash the cash Willy nilly but if we start the season with Collins as our main striker then questions need to be asked.

This is the best chance we have at getting out of this division, there won't be a better opportunity.

Promotion this season is massive for this club, to be back in the championship with a clear FFP slate and bigger revenue that the championship brings would see us in a great position.

Would be a crying shame if we didn't recruit to be able to have a real go at it.

I've said before with Warne, he builds up the transfer windows then changes his tune. This is the 2nd time now.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

This is the best chance we have at getting out of this division, there won't be a better opportunity.

Promotion this season is massive for this club, to be back in the championship with a clear FFP slate and bigger revenue that the championship brings would see us in a great position.

Would be a crying shame if we didn't recruit to be able to have a real go at it.

I've said before with Warne, he builds up the transfer windows then changes his tune. This is the 2nd time now.

Let’s judge him at the end of the window 😊

Alfie May going to Charlton for 250k. Only reason I can think of us not bidding is that he is getting a 3 year deal at the age of 30. I know there’s a couple of people on here who have got many things right but when you ask any journalist about Sonny Bradley you get nothing. I just hope we don’t end up with Washington. 

The longer we end up waiting, the bigger the pressure on Warne to pull a rabbit out of the hat. If our statement signing ends up being Washington, and we have a bad start to the season, there's gonna be a lot of supporter pushback and his head will be on the block.

But he's a smart guy and he knows that. He's downplaying the budgets here because he knows the Derby name is adding a premium to what the agents are demanding.

If you look around leagues 1 and 2, outside of Clark Harris there are not a lot of strikers with good records. May was one, but he's the wrong side of 30. If it's Washington and Ladapo, so be it, I just hope it's done soon.