Summer Rumour Mill

sage

48 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Based on what? There’s not been a credible report on it yet. Lots of Notts County Twitter saying they’re signing him, the only “proper” media outlet that’s touched upon it has suggested they’ve offered him a contract. 
You may well be right and he joins Notts, I just don’t see that there’s been a reliable source for the news as yet and as such it’s just speculation online. Wait until it’s confirmed to have your moment in the sun. 

He ain’t gonna stay. I’d be getting away from a club where the balls gonna be punted over my head all season ASAP. No wonder he’s taking such a pay cut

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He ain’t gonna stay. I’d be getting away from a club where the balls gonna be punted over my head all season ASAP. No wonder he’s taking such a pay cut

A yes of course, the customary dig at Warne. McGoldrick scoring so many goals in a side managed by Warne last season of course being irrelevant, he did it all himself in spite of his team mates and Warne 🙄 

And of course this proves the point that as yet there’s no concrete evidence or reliable information proving McGoldrick is going, just people coming to conclusions based on rumour and their opinion

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Based on what? There’s not been a credible report on it yet. Lots of Notts County Twitter saying they’re signing him, the only “proper” media outlet that’s touched upon it has suggested they’ve offered him a contract. 
You may well be right and he joins Notts, I just don’t see that there’s been a reliable source for the news as yet and as such it’s just speculation online. Wait until it’s confirmed to have your moment in the sun. 

There is a credible source, the amber sauce in Ben Osborn’s pub leading to a hotbed of transfer gossip. Nixon will be down there soon.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

How do you know the ball is going to be punted over his head all season? I'd like to know what you're basing this off. To me it sounds like an agenda based on absolutely nothing. 

16 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

How do you know the ball is going to be punted over his head all season? I'd like to know what you're basing this off. To me it sounds like an agenda based on absolutely nothing. 

I think he took a blow on the head a couple of years ago, unfortunately since then he has generally piped up with a pile of steaming hot 💩

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Because I watched us last season.

So did I and 'hoof ball' was not the phrase that came to mind when watching Derby play. I'm not saying that we played amazing every game because we didn't. But at times we played some great stuff particularly in that middle part of the season I thought we looked really good. This idea that under Warne we're going to pumping it long every game is just utter nonsense and to be honest a lot of it is football snobbery.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

So did I and 'hoof ball' was not the phrase that came to mind when watching Derby play. I'm not saying that we played amazing every game because we didn't. But at times we played some great stuff particularly in that middle part of the season I thought we looked really good. This idea that under Warne we're going to pumping it long every game is just utter nonsense and to be honest a lot of it is football snobbery.

It would certainly be a term that would come to mind when watching Derby. We barely played passes along the floor when building from the back, we hoofed 50 yards and hoped our wingers/Didzy held it up, there's no way you can deny that.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

It was something I feared when Warne took over, but I don't think it materialised as such. 

I was more frustrated about the lack of end product from crosses. 

That isn't McGoldrick's game, but we do need a centre forward who can move onto those balls and give us another option.

29 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

It would certainly be a term that would come to mind when watching Derby. We barely played passes along the floor when building from the back, we hoofed 50 yards and hoped our wingers/Didzy held it up, there's no way you can deny that.

I'd say we played some good stuff against the poorer teams when they gave us space, and mixed it up well.

With the type of players in our squad it would have been stupid to be a proper 'long ball' team because it wouldn't get results, and Warne adapted enough to the squad at his disposal to take advantage of what he had.

That's not to say we didn't play some good stuff at times against better teams (usually first halves) but typically if we ever went a goal down we'd get desperate and start resorting to a far less imaginative style of play with Warne's historically preferred 'get it out wide and/or get it in the box as quickly as possible' methods becoming our only avenue of attack - there were a number of  games where Cashin stopped playing aimed long balls and started hoofing it aimlessly, for example.

The question is, as Warne gets more of 'his' players in, will we start veering more toward his old ways, or those he managed to show in the games we mixed it up.

Edited by Kokosnuss

22 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I deny that. We went long at times with Cashin and Forsyth both looking to play it forward from the back, and we also played down the wings looking to cross, through midfield looking to build through Bird and Hourihane, intricately passing around the edge of the area using Sibley and NML as “10’s” later in the season. Warne used different formations, and different combinations throughout the season, with mixed passing always with the intent of trying to get the ball forward, we were inconsistent in executing it and converting chances. You can’t deny all the chances we created (and failed to convert) in games towards the back end of the season, and they definitely weren’t all through “hoofball”. There is a difference between being direct with purpose and aimlessly hoofing it. At times the players did resort to aimlessly hoofing, I won’t deny that it happened occasionally in games, but it wasn’t our only approach throughout the season. 

9 minutes ago, Red_ram said:

Derby fans when we play it extensively around the back:

”wish we’d stop d*cking around with it at the back and get it forward quicker.”

Derby fans when we stop d*cking around with it at the back and get it forward quicker:

”Urghhh this is the hoofball I was worried about.”

😕

Very accurate. Think fans also need to realise the calibre of players we are looking at here. If we play exclusively short passing stuff, the touch, vision and movement isn’t that of a Premier League team. We would struggle to break some teams down (saw this a bit pre-Warne). You simply have to be versatile and do a bit of everything at this level. 

18 minutes ago, Magicman said:

I want 1 new keeper 2 new wing backs 2 new cBs 2 new midfielders 2 new wide men 3 new strikers ! 

12 in hopefully inc McGoldrick & Roberts. 

Have you asked Noah for his ark?

Edited by Eoghan1884

50 minutes ago, Srg said:

I’d deny that. 

We liked to get it forward quickly, but mixed up how we did that. To say we just played hoof ball is very inaccurate. 

Exactly this. Warne's style is direct in that he wants to press high and play quickly. I think he wants us to play similar to Klopp's Liverpool.

He's not overly bothered about possession and keeping the ball for expensive periods, he wants us to continually press and force the opposition into mistakes and not let the foot off the pedal for 90 minutes basically.

Of course this can be tiring for players and requires high fitness levels but it can be very effective and exciting to watch. Whether we play with the ball on the floor or in the air is by the by. 

In that middle part of the season we saw this in fruition. Take the 4-0 demolition of Accrington Stanley. We pressed the life out of them and never let up. When we got the ball we immediately looked forwards and knitted together some really nice passing moves to get the ball into the net. It was a good watch. 

Last season was good at times and not so good at others but I can see what Warne is trying to do and this was with no pre season and no summer transfer window. Give the bloke a chance.