Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

5 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

So no twitching?

Hypothetical example…

Pursue Rhodes on a 12k / week plus wage.

Or…

May 4k / week

Waghorn on 3k / week

Bonis on 1.5k / week

and some nominal fees and creative bonuses.

We were in pole position a month ago. Not now. Because others with less money have thought creatively.

Is that what they’re on?

13 hours ago, Flying Fokker said:

CCFC Season ticket holder/ Follow Rams from a distance having been born Derby.  
Waghorn…Save your money.  He’s not going to do anything to justify paying his wages.

Godden….Sky Blues need to keep him.  If he moves to you, don’t expect a hatful of goals, but a player who creates and takes players away from your main striker.  As I say, he should remain in Coventry as he’s a grafter.

A voice of sanity but will anybody listen? 

14 minutes ago, Rev said:

Don't question Warne, it's just not worth it.

If you and other people feel the need to question Warne that’s up to you. I only ever look to contest points with people when I can see a fairly logical counter argument. I’ve not seen anything of desperate concern to worry about yet. 
The forward recruitment? We’ve signed Washington and are intending to add more strikers.

The depth of the squad? It’s currently better balanced and in need of a few more signings to be improved further, which Warne and the club have explained.

The selling of players and inability to re-invest the funds? That’s not Warne’s doing, is it? It’s circumstantial, born from Morris’ legacy, the admin and the EFL. It’s been made clear that Pearce and Clowes ultimately dictate the business side of the club.

So what are we left with? His choice of players to recruit? Always going to be subjective and can’t really be qualified until we’ve seen them succeed or fail in a rams shirt.

His bad patter? That’s just who he is, can’t do much about it.

His tactical and in game management? It let us down last season. He’s said all the right things in recognising that and needed to be better, now he needs to show it when it matters, again can’t fully judge it until the season starts.

I’ve no problem with people questioning Warne, I just don’t yet see any real questions to be levelled solely at his door. It feels like people will go out of their way to question Warne relentlessly, about anything, without much thought or depth to the argument….that’s what I don’t get. And I would feel this way if it was Rosenior, Steve McClaren, Jim Smith or Brian Clough himself. 

8 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

So no twitching?

Hypothetical example…

Pursue Rhodes on a 12k / week plus wage.

Or…

May 4k / week

Waghorn on 3k / week

Bonis on 1.5k / week

and some nominal fees and creative bonuses.

We were in pole position a month ago. Not now. Because others with less money have thought creatively.

Waghorn has been offered a contract. May wanted a move to the south east to be closer to family, it was reported when Cheltenham first said they’d be receptive to selling him and backed up by May himself when he joined Charlton. Warne said he’d missed out on 2 players who went to other league one clubs, could easily have been May who moved for geographical reasons we cannot logically contend with. Your point is pretty much my own, people are levelling disappointment at Warne for not signing someone like Alfie May when we don’t fully know the situation. All we have to go on is that it was reported he wanted to be closer to family, Charlton and Gillingham were linked, then we were, then he ends up at Charlton and says “I’m glad to be closer to my parents”….yet people want to put that on Warne. It doesn’t make sense to me.

Bonis, yep, that one I don’t get as he’s the one all summer I liked the idea of. But again, you read and listen to what’s said and it’s clear there’s a committee approach to the recruitment and very clear now we’ve got some limitations to work with still. 

I mentioned something, can’t recall what, that had finally got me twitching a little. But not to the point some people want to write off the season and proclaim the sky is falling before a ball has been kicked. 

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If you and other people feel the need to question Warne that’s up to you. I only ever look to contest points with people when I can see a fairly logical counter argument. I’ve not seen anything of desperate concern to worry about yet. 
The forward recruitment? We’ve signed Washington and are intending to add more strikers.

The depth of the squad? It’s currently better balanced and in need of a few more signings to be improved further, which Warne and the club have explained.

The selling of players and inability to re-invest the funds? That’s not Warne’s doing, is it? It’s circumstantial, born from Morris’ legacy, the admin and the EFL. It’s been made clear that Pearce and Clowes ultimately dictate the business side of the club.

So what are we left with? His choice of players to recruit? Always going to be subjective and can’t really be qualified until we’ve seen them succeed or fail in a rams shirt.

His tactical and in game management? It let us down last season. He’s said all the right things in recognising that and needed to be better, now he needs to show it when it matters, again can’t fully judge it until the season starts.

I’ve no problem with people questioning Warne, I just don’t yet see any real questions to be levelled solely at his door. It feels like people will go out of their way to question Warne relentlessly, about anything, without much thought or depth to the argument….that’s what I don’t get. And I would feel this way if it was Rosenior, Steve McClaren, Jim Smith or Brian Clough himself. 

I wouldn’t waste your breath mate. It’s clear some people think we can spend millions on players and not get into financial difficulties. It’s like they’ve all had amnesia or something. 

We all know this team needed at least 10 players in. There’s a limited budget to play with. Some of the deals like Washington and Wilson were very clever imo. 

Not really sure what anyone’s got to moan about tbh before a balls even kicked. 

16 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

So, in your words…

His recruitment for Derby is unproven.

His patter is questionable.

His in game management isn’t great.

Clowes may or may not be backing him in the recruitment market.

Washington plus blind faith in others (unnamed) will score the goals we need?

But let’s not worry?

14 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

So, in your words…

His recruitment for Derby is unproven. His recruitment for the squad so far involves players proven at this level and championship, including players in their peak years and some who are at least closer to it than some of those who left. Which has given us a better age profile within the squad and a balance/depth that was lacking in certain areas last season. We still need further additions and the work is being done to further recruit if you take what has been said and reported at face value. 

His patter is questionable. To some it clearly is and I think it’s the source as to why they dislike him.

His in game management isn’t great. last season it wasn’t, and I called it out in various match threads. Substitutions were too late and/or ineffective and too many times a side tweaked their tactics and he failed to react. He has acknowledged those failings himself in various interviews and now with some players recruited to how he wants to play and a better balance to the squad options I look forward to whether or not he has indeed learnt his lessons, not worried, intrigued.

Clowes may or may not be backing him in the recruitment market. Show me where I said that? Clowes has backed him with a budget Clowes himself believes is good enough to challenge for promotion. But it’s clear the ongoing business plan the club is subject to on the back of almost oblivion just last summer is an ongoing hindrance. Anyone blaming Warne for that situation is clearly missing some sort of objectivity.

Washington plus blind faith in others (unnamed) will score the goals we need? What blind faith? James Collins, Conor Washington, Martyn Waghorn (if he signs), Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Conor Hourihane, Louie Sibley, Tom Barkhuizen, Joe Ward, Max Bird and others in the squad have all shown themselves capable of scoring at this level, and can therefore do so again with no reason to believe they can’t. McGoldrick is gone, his 25 goals are gone, Washington will score some, the other players will also score, it’s not as tragic as you and others want to make out. 

But let’s not worry? no don’t worry, look forward to the new season with a bit of optimism as anything could happen good or bad, why choose to look only for the bad? 

No. And you know very well that’s not what I said. I’ve clarified for you in bold text above.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

18 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

No. And you know very well that’s not what I said. I’ve clarified for you in bold text above.

And that’s the very crux of the matter. Blow your budget on safe bets or back your ability to polish a rough diamond.

Warne has arrived at a big club (comparatively). But even here you need to do both. Not sure he’s grasped that yet.

1 minute ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

And that’s the very crux of the matter. Blow your budget on safe bets or back your ability to polish a rough diamond.

Warne has arrived at a big club (comparatively). But even here you need to do both. Not sure he’s grasped that yet.

Or been able to? That’s partly my point. You’re questioning the recruitment before the season has started and the transfer window closed. We may still add a rough diamond or two, we might not, we might start the season strongly and score plenty of goals, we might not. There’s little point questioning it in my view until we see how it plays out. 
The only real criticism I have of the recruitment so far, and this is with caveat of the restrictions of the business plan we’re currently working with (whatever they are), is could we have added a couple more younger players with resale value? But there’s no real way for me to know if that’s down to Warne and Thomas’ decision making, or players choosing to go elsewhere for their own reasons, or budget limitations or something else, so again there’s little point in my worrying about it as my worrying won’t change it and so I accept it for what it currently is, we’ve recruited some experienced pros with good ability and know how at this level and above. 

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

I wouldn’t waste your breath mate. It’s clear some people think we can spend millions on players and not get into financial difficulties. It’s like they’ve all had amnesia or something. 

We all know this team needed at least 10 players in. There’s a limited budget to play with. Some of the deals like Washington and Wilson were very clever imo. 

Not really sure what anyone’s got to moan about tbh before a balls even kicked. 

Who has suggested spending millions on players?

It's possible to be a little concerned at squad size and CF quality without wanting us to be reckless. In fact, I would imagine it is most supporter's opinion.

The criticism of Warne in the transfer market is rubbish.

Can anyone name me one of his permanent signings who has been rubbish?

Thank the Lord we now have someone who does due diligence before he signs someone I.e. actually watches them playing in games, checks their character to make sure they will fit in with the rest of the team. Not prepared to pay over the odds for someone who will not improve what we already have.

Over the last 10 years the list is as long as your arm of players we have purchased for exorbitant fees (Blackman, Anya, etc etc etc), fuelled no doubt by power crazy chairmen desperate to get to the promised land. Look where it got us - just remember that horrible, sinking feeling just over 12 months ago, when our Club was about to exist no longer.

Give me Clowes, Warne and a bit of realism every time!!!!

9 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

To be honest @RoyMac5 I haven’t seen the new players in the flesh yet, but I’m pleased on the whole.

The trouble is that although some structural imbalances have been resolved others remain glaringly obvious.

Is it a championship winning back three if Bradley gets an injury? What about midfield if Bird is sold? or Hourihane injured? Or most perplexingly of all what happens to our striking options if Collins gets injured?

Yeah I know, but look what we could have achieved last season, we can better that this I think with a more balanced squad. Imagine if Didzy had been injured last season...you can only play the hand you're dealt. Plus we know that Warne wants more players in. #COYR

8 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

You wanted May… a goal scorer who costed a fee. That isn’t a diamond in the rough that needs polishing. 

Washington - a player who was subject to a multi million pound sale the last time he was at this level but hasn’t set the world on fire recently is a diamond to polish. He may turn out to be a lump of coal, he may shine. 

Just say what you mean ‘Warne didn’t sign the striker I wanted him to’ rather than dressing it up in ‘not being creative’. 

35 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Thank the Lord we now have someone who does due diligence before he signs someone I.e. actually watches them playing in games, checks their character to make sure they will fit in with the rest of the team. Not prepared to pay over the odds for someone who will not improve what we already have.

Over the last 10 years the list is as long as your arm of players we have purchased for exorbitant fees (Blackman, Anya, etc etc etc), fuelled no doubt by power crazy chairmen desperate to get to the promised land. Look where it got us - just remember that horrible, sinking feeling just over 12 months ago, when our Club was about to exist no longer.

True.

Two things 

1. Warne seems to be assembling a squad with a similar team spirit to the Rooney years.

2. He knows as well as we do, the importance of getting strikers in.

We won’t pay over the odds for has beens and wannabes but if they’re available at reasonable prices and they can do a job, we may have to boost the squad with them.

It’s also important to have a bit of room for January signings.

45 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

None of his permanent signings have played a competitive match for Derby yet, so that is a ridiculous argument.

Yet again we are going down the strawman route. Being disappointed we can't spend £300k on a player after bringing in £2-3m in fees isn't espousing £6m on Bradley Johnson.

I'm tired of anything other than fawn eyed adulation being treated as treason or heresy.

12 minutes ago, sage said:

None of his permanent signings have played a competitive match for Derby yet, so that is a ridiculous argument.

Yet again we are going down the strawman route. Being disappointed we can't spend £300k on a player after bringing in £2-3m in fees isn't espousing £6m on Bradley Johnson.

I'm tired of anything other than fawn eyed adulation being treated as treason or heresy.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy AwardsBarack Obama Applause GIF by ObamaPeople Applause GIF by MOODMANClapping Applause GIF

Edited by i-Ram

16 minutes ago, sage said:

Who is that player I missed hearing that.

36 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

You wanted May… a goal scorer who costed a fee. That isn’t a diamond in the rough that needs polishing. 

Washington - a player who was subject to a multi million pound sale the last time he was at this level but hasn’t set the world on fire recently is a diamond to polish. He may turn out to be a lump of coal, he may shine. 

Just say what you mean ‘Warne didn’t sign the striker I wanted him to’ rather than dressing it up in ‘not being creative’. 

I thought (and probably still do) that May was a better and cheaper bet than Rhodes. Both have little resale value.

Washington seems very much a Warne type of player and there’s nothing wrong in that. I hope he does well but I very much doubt he’s going to be so repolished he re-attains his former status or resale value.

Waghorn is only here by chance. I think he’s astute business at this level. But again no resale value.

The issue with no resale value is that if they walk away like Didzy or retire you’ve nothing to reinvest and you’re forever signing aging freebie’s.

So my issue isn’t that I’m sulking about May but I’m worried about squad depth and our apparent one dimensional approach to recruitment.

25 minutes ago, sage said: