Lee Bonis - new contract at Larne

Arsene Titman

On 25/06/2023 at 16:57, RoyMac5 said:
On 25/06/2023 at 16:20, abertawe_ram said:

In the northern Ireland manager's chat about him he mentions workrate quite a lot and that he's an ideal forward for leading the press from the front. Sounds like something Warne would appreciate.  Can't help thinking of Shane Long from what I've heard/seen and I'd be very happy if we got him and he had anything like that type of career!! Maybe worth a gamble at 300k 

If that would buy him it's not a lot to gamble on a striker even with our current restrictions.

In terms of the record transfer fee received by a Northern Ireland football club it could be considered quite a gamble for it would triple the current record, which was set at £100k in 2021 when Shay McCartan joined Glentoran from Ballymena for £100k. At the time, the Glentoran manager, Mick McDermott said that he could not see that record being beaten for a long time. McCartan is a striker who played 230 games in the EFL for Burnley, Accrington, Bradford City and Lincoln, scoring a total of 39 goals. He has two full caps for Northern Ireland in 2017-18 but no goals. He has scored 26 times in 85 games for Ballymena and Glentoran.

Larne equalled the transfer record for Bonis when they bought him in 2022 from Portadown where he had scored 17 times in 55 games. For Larne he has scored 22 in 50 games. He scored 15 last season when Larne won the League but he was only the sixth highest scorer in the Division; the leading scorer netted 23. He was called into the Northern Ireland squad this summer but did not make the bench in either game.

I watched several NI Premier League games when I worked in Northern Ireland between 2009-14. I would equate the standard to one where Alfreton, Buxton, Matlock, Mickleover and Ilkeston would have realistic expectations of survival. The best teams in that league would not compete in the top half of the National League in my opinion. Bonis is 23 now. Apart from the YouTube clips I have not seen him play but I would question if he is anywhere near as good as Jack Stretton. Since the end of last season we know he has been linked with several clubs, including Derby but there seem to have been no offers as yet. Is that because the English and Scottish clubs see the £300k quoted fee as being unrealistic?

2 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Larne equalled the transfer record for Bonis when they bought him in 2022 from Portadown where he had scored 17 times in 55 games. For Larne he has scored 22 in 50 games. He scored 15 last season when Larne won the League but he was only the sixth highest scorer in the Division; the leading scorer netted 23. He was called into the Northern Ireland squad this summer but did not make the bench in either game...

OK. Let's sign the leading scorer for £300k then, who was it?! 😄

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

OK. Let's sign the leading scorer for £300k then, who was it?! 😄

Matthew Shevlin, 24 years-old, centre forward for Coleraine, 6' 1". Signed from Linfield on a free transfer in January 2021 and was previously at Ards and Ballymena. 47 goals in 150 games in the NIPL. Capped at U17 and U19 levels.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

2 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

You can look at this in two ways , one he’s extremely loyal or he’s taken a safe option and has no ambition 

…. or perhaps

3) that no offers were made, or if they were that they were of insufficient merit compared to what his current team were prepared to offer. 

4) he hates Derby as much as Billy Sharp.

4 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

You can look at this in two ways , one he’s extremely loyal or he’s taken a safe option and has no ambition 

Or the third. Release clause. Protect value. 

12 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Signed a new deal with Larne.

Bit odd if there were clubs in for him.  He won't be on a big salary though, so probably had a big pay increase to stay if the offers weren't enough thus far.  Turn down the money and it doesn't pan out with a move your losing a lot at that level.  

14 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

…. or perhaps

3) that no offers were made, or if they were that they were of insufficient merit compared to what his current team were prepared to offer. 

4) he hates Derby as much as Billy Sharp.

What's Billy Sharp done to upset him?

14 minutes ago, strawhillram said:

He will be playing in the champions league. probably  for just two games.

Choose that over League 1 football

Choose that over 27k attendances every week? An away following higher than their home Gate? 

Smacks of a lack of ambition, desire and motivation from the kid.

Yeah a lot of people presuming he chose not to play for us. Possibly had a look at him and went no further?

Good luck to the lad, the post above equating the standard to mickleover, Buxton etc put me off this lad a bit. If that the case at 23 you’d want him scoring a goal a game to think could make step up to league one.