Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

I think two words define this season: fine margins. Since February, we’ve fallen on the wrong side of them every time. 

The players gave everything today and the performance was a creditable one. The game hinged on one mistake and sometimes in football that’s all it takes.

Some might deem this season a failure and the anti-Warne sentiment will no doubt be in overdrive over the coming days and weeks, but it’s needless.

Personally I don’t think at any point we’ve looked like one of the three best teams in the division, so I don’t think there should be much of a hangover if any at all. The signs have been there that it is simply one season too soon.

We just have to lick our wounds, regroup quickly, have a positive rebuild over the summer and go out and finish in the top two in 23-24.

Not going into the Championship with this group of players and under financial restrictions could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

I said this a few weeks ago and the sentiment remains - this is where Warne’s work really starts.

51 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Reading, Wigan and Blackpool going down, two of those sides are in financial trouble.

Hopefully Sheff Wed go up.

Then next season we can be genuine top two contenders with Barnsley, Bolton, Blackpool and Posh the likely challengers.

A few improvements this summer and next season could be a memorable one.

Don’t forget Pompey and probably Charlton too as they’ve regrouped this year and Oxford and Fleetwood may surprise as well as Leyton Orient coming up. Whoever gets out this year it’s still going to be a tough gig next season so take nothing for granted.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think two words define this season: fine margins. Since February, we’ve fallen on the wrong side of them every time. 

The players gave everything today and the performance was a creditable one. The game hinged on one mistake and sometimes in football that’s all it takes.

Some might deem this season a failure and the anti-Warne sentiment will no doubt be in overdrive over the coming days and weeks, but it’s needless.

Personally I don’t think at any point we’ve looked like one of the three best teams in the division, so I don’t think there should be much of a hangover if any at all. The signs have been there that it is simply one season too soon.

We just have to lick our wounds, regroup quickly, have a positive rebuild over the summer and go out and finish in the top two in 23-24.

Not going into the Championship with this group of players and under financial restrictions could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

I said this a few weeks ago and the sentiment remains - this is where Warne’s work really starts.

Absolutely right. The fine margins have been evident both ways. There have been times when we have failed to win even when we have dominated for periods (Portsmouth at home and Peterborough spring to mind) or been “robbed” by poor referee decisions but on the other hand, even during our unbeaten run there were games where we some how managed to find a win or a draw without really looking that impressive.

We go again and I’m already looking forward to it. I’m not a signed up member of this “this league is carp” brigade (although I may become one if we get stuck down here for too long). 

31 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

What a shame! In the end we weren't quite good enough to  get in the play-offs, and deep down many of us have thought that all season long. But that doesn't stop us having hope, and the players have done stupendously well to get this far. It is the old adage (well, a season long adage) that we only had 5 players on the books last August. But in reality we have cost ourselves the chance for promotion this season because we haven't been clinical enough in front of goal. But in part that is because it is night on impossible to attract strikers when all you can offer is a packet of crisps and two slices of lightly buttered bread. Although losing Odura was a blow - he might have been the difference, but I don't think he was handled properly, and instead of being given a run in the side in his best position, h was used as a bit part player. And he wasn't the only one - another one was subbed at the earlest opportunity again, today, when he was doing all right. Why is it always him who has to leave the pitch early?

There have been some baffling selection and tactical decisions which have cost us as well, but in some ways all this is understandable, especially with a manager brought in part way into the season with someone else's team and no room to change that. WArney had a tough job, and the lad done ok, I reckon.

It actually is feasible to have been in the play-off positions securely a coupe of weeks ago if only we hadn't thrown matches away one way or another. But then we get to my pet subject, the match officials. Soooooo many matches have been decided by crass decision making and/or incompetence, and we ought to have put ourselves into a position where those c***-ups don't cost us the points. But we shouldn't have to try and overcome them before they have happened, either. If only half the penalty decisions against us. at both ends of the pitch, had gone the right way, we wouldn't have ended up in this position. And while we are on about it, how come the ref gave a penalty against us for virtually no physical contact at all, but did absolutely nothing when Forsyth was physically man-handled to the ground in their penalty area later on in the game? On the odd occasion I could accept that it was just the rb of the green, but when it has happened match after match after match, and only a tiny number of dubious decision have been in our favour, maybe I sould be forgiven for thinking that there are other factors being brought to bear.

So on to next season - will we get any flexibility from the EFL regarding the business plan we have had to operate under, given that we are considerably further forwards in our finances than we were planned to be? LET's hope this is the case so we have a bit more room to bring the players in that we need. I'm not holding my breath though!

Finally - thanks to the players for giving of their best, even though it wasn't quite enough. And thanks especially to the fans - you/we have been fantastic yet again, all season long. Long may it continue!

I'll be there next season, and much to your chagrin I'm not going away from this wonderful bunch of contributors on dcfcfans!

Dave how many points do you think we have lost this season due to dodgy ref decisions . It must be 20 plus by my reckoning. I can't actually think of any the other way either. 10 penalties against  is it something like that only 1 or 2 were actually penalties. 2 disallowed goals for us(wrongly). Quite  a few penos we should have had but didn't.  Loads of offside goals against us as well. Plymouth game alone I think there were two. 

11 minutes ago, Warren Blufitt said:

Don’t forget Pompey and probably Charlton too as they’ve regrouped this year and Oxford and Fleetwood may surprise as well as Leyton Orient coming up. Whoever gets out this year it’s still going to be a tough gig next season so take nothing for granted.

Pompey yes (although maybe not if you read their forum) and maybe Charlton but I’m not sure about Oxford or Fleetwood. Orient are a bit of an unknown quantity having just been promoted. Having said that, there are bound to be a couple of surprise teams. Rightly or wrongly, I would imagine many will have us down, along with whoever misses out in the playoffs, as amongst the favourites next season.

1 hour ago, alram said:

lovely

personal insults

i have had a season ticket my entire life and love nothing more than derby county. i am hurting because we shouldnt be in this division and only are because of financial mismanagement from an absolute moron.

WHO WHEN was critisised in the past on here people were often INSULTED and TOLD TO PISS OFF when questions were asked of mel.

so i ask you out of respect that we are all derby fans and not insult each other for having a differing opinion to you.

Wow. Were you given one as a christening present?😀

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

On the plus side this gives us another tilt at the Papa Johns next year

We could do with playing the youngsters in that and saving the grownups for the important stuff.

57 games we've played this season, I'm feeling every one, so I'm sure the players are too. 

Add in the friendlies, and it's been a long, long season.

Only positive us away fans could console ourselves with this afternoon is we get to do Blackpool again! 

1 hour ago, alram said:

lovely

personal insults

i have had a season ticket my entire life and love nothing more than derby county. i am hurting because we shouldnt be in this division and only are because of financial mismanagement from an absolute moron.

WHO WHEN was critisised in the past on here people were often INSULTED and TOLD TO PISS OFF when questions were asked of mel.

so i ask you out of respect that we are all derby fans and not insult each other for having a differing opinion to you.

Piss off won't you?

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

We could do with playing the youngsters in that and saving the grownups for the important stuff.

57 games we've played this season, I'm feeling every one, so I'm sure the players are too. 

Add in the friendlies, and it's been a long, long season.

Only positive us away fans could console ourselves with this afternoon is we get to do Blackpool again! 

I do agree really but equally it’s a great chance to win a cup competition (sadly probably the only realistic chance!) and I’m sure Bolton fans had a great day at Wembley

Hopefully we’ll have a squad more suited to the rigours of a full season next year. I’m feeling optimistic about it

Just now, nottingram said:

I do agree really but equally it’s a great chance to win a cup competition (sadly probably the only realistic chance!) and I’m sure Bolton fans had a great day at Wembley

Hopefully we’ll have a squad more suited to the rigours of a full season next year. I’m feeling optimistic about it

Yes, a bigger squad would allow more rotation, but players like Hourihane, Smith, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen will still be an important part of our squad next season and none of them are getting any younger! 

Mendez-Laing particularly could have been used more sparingly.

I personally hope Fozzy gets another season and the same would apply to him, too. 

Not a bad season overall, plenty there to build from and the ship has been steadied, but it's an absolutely bitter way for the season to finish. It's so so naive from an experienced player to do that in such a huge game, pathetic reaction from the Wednesday player, hopefully they'll fail the playoffs. 

Onwards to next season, hopefully we can bring in more players to deepen our squad. 

20 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

Piss off won't you?

i am not one to be bullied away thank you 

the reactions and personal insults are ridiculous , don’t take your frustrations out on me

Been at a christening and have just seen the penalty and sending off, very very disappointing😩😩😩

Still it’s been a great season and, at the start of the season after what we had been through, I would have been happy with a mid table finish.

Now next season 😂😂😂😂😂🐏🐏🐏🐏