How will Derby's season end?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How will Derby's season end?

• Finish outside the play offs
    • Lose in the play off semis
    • Lose in the play off final
    • Win the play offs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/04/23 at 13:05

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

At home we beat them 2-1 in the League and 3-0 in the cup. We lost 4-1 away in the League.

Play-offs are a bit of a one-off. They are cup ties and anything can happen, so I wouldn’t be so certain about dismissing our chances. 

Barnsley had a significant upgrade in their squad in January. If they're in the play-offs with Ipswich and Plymouth in the top two, I'd make Barnsley the favourites for the the third spot but yes you couldn't write us off. We could even be the form team, results wise, going into the knockouts. If we make it, I just hope we'll have sufficient leeway to improve our squad for next season. We are too heavily reliant on McGoldrick at the moment and it's doubtful that he could get 20+ in the Championship; he never has before.

It's too uncertain for me to even have a vote in the poll.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

I said this a month or two ago that it feels like that Gary Rowett season.

Where we’d get into the playoffs but we’d comfortably be outsiders because of our poor record against the better sides and simply because those that finished above us were stronger.

That Gary Rowett season we faced Fulham and they were just so much better.

And it will probably the same when we face Wednesday, Barnsley, Ipswich or Plymouth.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I said this a month or two ago that it feels like that Gary Rowett season.

Where we’d get into the playoffs but we’d comfortably be outsiders because of our poor record against the better sides and simply because those that finished above us were stronger.

That Gary Rowett season we faced Fulham and they were just so much better.

And it will probably the same when we face Wednesday, Barnsley, Ipswich or Plymouth.

And yet we went into the second leg 1-0 up and an abysmal ‘defend from minute 0’ tactic in the second leg scuppered any chance of an upset. 

With what has happened thus far, and particularly the last two or three months, whatever happens from this point on, I'm not... and won't be... "absolutely buzzing with confidence" (or arrogance!) that we will win through, unlike 2014... and that was well before we battered Brighton!   Playing sublime football was the icing on the cake.  We really did come across as world beaters at times (relatively speaking, of course!)

This time around, the worst that can possibly happen (for me) is mild disappointment.  No tears.  No heartbreak.  No depression.  No feelings of nausea, and no mind-numbing thoughts of "what the duck just happened" or "Am I hallucinating?"! 

Absolutely I'd take that, with where we started from.

It goes without saying that I hope I'm wrong, and that my mild pessimism is proved to be shameful, but for the purpose of the poll, I'll plump for losing the semi... and mild disappointment! 

🐏

3 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

I have gone with a semi defeat, if we are to get there.  In my gut I just can’t see us scoring enough over the two games.  Out of the teams my choice would be SW for the best chance of beating my glass half empty prediction.

IF we were to get to the final, I would hope that we would get a decent ref, and with VAR we might do better, due to the “dark arts” being more under scrutiny…

A semi defeat? I count getting a semi as a small victory! 

5 hours ago, Ellafella said:

At home we beat them 2-1 in the League and 3-0 in the cup. We lost 4-1 away in the League.

Play-offs are a bit of a one-off. They are cup ties and anything can happen, so I wouldn’t be so certain about dismissing our chances. 

I get what you're saying. I am maybe still a bit scarred from the mauling we took at their place. Playoffs are a lottery, and if we win against Portsmouth, sneak a draw against Wednesday then we'll have hit a nice patch of form before the semi-final legs. 

3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I get what you're saying. I am maybe still a bit scarred from the mauling we took at their place. Playoffs are a lottery, and if we win against Portsmouth, sneak a draw against Wednesday then we'll have hit a nice patch of form before the semi-final legs. 

The mauling at their place (I know you went I also went) may have been a mauling by the score line but it was never a 4-1 game. We were particularly bad, gifted them 3 goals through our own mistakes although one of those goals shouldn’t have stood at a crucial point in the game. I honestly don’t think we have anything to fear with Barnsley. Also think we could take Plymouth but think we’ll struggle against Wendies and Ipswich just due to their squad depth. That said we all thought Leeds would batter us, and that Fulham team we lost to - an absolute class above nothing like who we’ll be playing 

7 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

The mauling at their place (I know you went I also went) may have been a mauling by the score line but it was never a 4-1 game. We were particularly bad, gifted them 3 goals through our own mistakes although one of those goals shouldn’t have stood at a crucial point in the game. I honestly don’t think we have anything to fear with Barnsley. Also think we could take Plymouth but think we’ll struggle against Wendies and Ipswich just due to their squad depth. That said we all thought Leeds would batter us, and that Fulham team we lost to - an absolute class above nothing like who we’ll be playing 

I too was at Barnsley and IIRC their first goal was a referee/asst referee shambles & shouldn’t have stood. First goal is always crucial in setting the tone of the game. I also think we can beat Bolton on our day and Wendies; so we have as good a chance as any IF we get there. 

15 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

And yet we went into the second leg 1-0 up and an abysmal ‘defend from minute 0’ tactic in the second leg scuppered any chance of an upset. 

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The 1-0 lead completely flattered us. I knew we’d lose that playoff tie.

As I recall though, despite their overall dominance Fulham still presented us with a good number of opportunities to get a breakaway goal.

It's just that those breakaways were lead by a particularly ineffective combination of godawful decision-makers, Tom Lawrence & Andreas Weimann.

Only decided in the end on some s*** defending from a corner too.

Edited by Kokosnuss

So far this season:

Derby-Barnsley 2-1

Barnsley-Derby 4-1

Bolton-Derby 0-0

Derby-Bolton 2-1

Derby- Sheff Wed 0-0

Extra:

FA Cup Derby-Barnsley 3-0

= No matter who we play against (first), we play a team somewhat equal to our level. It'll be tight but we have some good experienced pros and lots of players who have promotions under their belts. I'm with Warne, we'll win the playoffs if we get there.

22 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Anyone else noticed a familiar pattern this season? Just like the Rowett and Lampard seasons, we've:

• Started slowly
  • Surged up the table
  • Threatened the automatic places
  • Lost form heading towards spring
  • Fall outside (or come very close to falling outside) the play off places right towards the end
  • Rediscovered some form and snuck into the play offs at the death (fingers still crossed on this one)

Those seasons obviously didn't end as planned. The question is, do you think this year will be different?

I would argue that the slow start in each season is down to the fact we had a new manager with his own style and very few if any of the players he actually wanted. Each team has to learn the managers style which takes time, ergo slow start.

The difference this time is Warne has a small squad which might be the reason for the fall in momentum.

Fingers crossed he gets us into the playoffs and who knows?

7 hours ago, REDCAR said:

Semi defeat my vote 😔

Ive only ever felt super confident in one play off game and that was the final v QPR and we all know how that ended… hope for the best but prepare for the worst is how I feel most of the time with my beloved DCFC in pressure games 🐏❤️

You still see much of Blue car, mate?