Should Max Bird sue?

StantonRam

9 minutes ago, Carnero said:

You're right! Last week's was a foul by their player and this week's was a foul by their player...

Mmmh. Carnero, my friend, we both know that on each occasion the defending player got ‘surprised’ by the attacker coming at pace from behind, and the attacker gets caught by a clumsy foot. Both penalties, but arguably unlucky on the part of each defender. On both occasions too, the Managers were using the opportunity to moan about the penalty to deflect from a poor performance overall by their side.

I liked how their manager said it was never a penalty despite the fact he's half a pitch away. I was at that end and about 15 yards from the incident, and it's a penalty all day long. It's a stupid challenge as the ball got away, bird nicked in and their player made contact. The radio derby commentator who called it a 'modern penalty' as Bird stepped across him sounds like an idiot tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

The radio derby commentator who called it a 'modern penalty' as Bird stepped across him sounds like an idiot tbh. 

Dave Fletcher was adamant it wasn't a penalty, which is going to make me question every opinion he has on cricket lbws now. 

I'd have said that the defender was unlucky if he hadn't also thrown his shoulder into Bird as well. 100% a penalty. I don't know why they were discussing it for so long.

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

Dave Fletcher was adamant it wasn't a penalty, which is going to make me question every opinion he has on cricket lbws now. 

I'd have said that the defender was unlucky if he hadn't also thrown his shoulder into Bird as well. 100% a penalty. I don't know why they were discussing it for so long.

It was a very odd interpretation of the play from my perspective. It's not like bird has used his body to 'force' the contact, as you sometimes see. The ball in the box was loose after a poor touch, their player has tried to make up for it, and he's made contact with Bird. It's a penalty as clear as day. 

49 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I liked how their manager said it was never a penalty despite the fact he's half a pitch away. I was at that end and about 15 yards from the incident, and it's a penalty all day long. It's a stupid challenge as the ball got away, bird nicked in and their player made contact. The radio derby commentator who called it a 'modern penalty' as Bird stepped across him sounds like an idiot tbh. 

it was 16 yards from the bye-line.

Which player are you?  ... and can I have your autograph?  😉

Controversial and unpopular (not me, my thoughts 😀) but if you slow it down frame by frame, I don't think it was a penalty. The defenders leg looks like it was behind both of Bird's and he may not have made contact sufficient to bring him down. Obviously the ref didn't have the benefit of a slow motion replay but I suspect VAR wouldn't have given it. Swings and roundabouts though. We all know doubtful penalties have been given against us that have almost certainly cost us points.

image.png.f549ef5ab6ac8c4feb67dec7d823362b.png

10 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

it was 16 yards from the bye-line.

Which player are you?  ... and can I have your autograph?  😉

I may have been slightly overstating it... but I was directly in front of it, on the 4th row of the south stand, so probably 5-8 yards away from the by-line and 21-24 yards away from the incident. 

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Maybe we should ask Paul Warne what he thinks. It would seem to me that there is very little difference in yesterday’s and last week’s penalties. Other than a different manager bemoaning officialdom. Funny old world is Football.

A big big difference between the two incidents. The Bristol R. player made the initial contract with White which caused White to fall over and thus make contact with the Bristol player. Bird moved between the ball and the Burton player without making any contact with him. The Burton player tried to get to the ball but made contact with Bird, causing Bird to fall.

GIF by Kim's Convenience

Bird gets between him and the ball and the guy needlessly dives in and lunges at a ball that he isn't going to reach except by contacting Bird's legs and all that while Bird is heading away from goal. It was a stupid high risk challenge and if one of ours does that then you are annoyed because it doesn't need to happen.

The key thing for me also is the lack on any kind of protest by the Burton players beyond vaguely lifting their arms and otherwise just trudging off without contesting. One of his team mates also goes across to the defender and gives him a 'Chip up, never mind buddy' sort of gesture. Bar a half arsed effort just for show, they basically just accept the decision.

For me, that's a penalty all day long and if one of ours had done it I'd be frustrated by the unnecessary nature of it but I'd certainly 100% expect the worst.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Controversial and unpopular (not me, my thoughts 😀) but if you slow it down frame by frame, I don't think it was a penalty. The defenders leg looks like it was behind both of Bird's and he may not have made contact sufficient to bring him down. Obviously the ref didn't have the benefit of a slow motion replay but I suspect VAR wouldn't have given it. Swings and roundabouts though. We all know doubtful penalties have been given against us that have almost certainly cost us points.

Yep and Didzy was held with both defenders arms and fouled every time we had corner or free kick by their no 4

That's not the key frame though - Powell turns his shoulder into Bird, making a strong contact immediately after his leg hits the back of Bird's leg, thereby adding to the impact.

It's a clearer penalty than most that have been awarded against us this season.

Bird went down like an old man falling over a crack in the pavement. And had a soft landing outside the area. However we have been on the receiving end of these this season , we know how it hurts. Does Bird get his first assist of the season?

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

That's not the key frame though - Powell turns his shoulder into Bird, making a strong contact immediately after his leg hits the back of Bird's leg, thereby adding to the impact.

It's a clearer penalty than most that have been awarded against us this season.

I'm not sure I'd describe it as "strong contact" but it doesn't matter now. The penalty was awarded and we've had softer penalties given against us.

44 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Bird went down like an old man falling over a crack in the pavement. And had a soft landing outside the area. However we have been on the receiving end of these this season , we know how it hurts. Does Bird get his first assist of the season?

No, but he does have 6 already...