Free agents in the summer

B4ev6is

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Exeter didn't offer him a contract and he's not been playing regularly at the back end of the season. He's still only 22, honestly I'd be happy to have him based on what I've seen - even if it's a low cost viable alternative. Usually, at this level, you don't see too many technically sound players and he looked very comfortable.

I can't get my head round Exeter not offering him terms, therefore no compensation, but they must have their reasons. 

If you consider Roberts did the role well and is a potential free transfer if Brighton don’t offer him big bucks then this lad could be an excellent deputy. 

32 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I would assume that Aston Villa are above asking players if they have any mates who fancy a game, although happy to be proven wrong.

The reaction from Villa fans alone would be dynamite. 

Stimac did it with Asanovic and Eranio with Baiano, so it happens.  Both were a considerably higher standard of footballer in terms of their opinion holding weight admittedly

10 hours ago, Srg said:

Not looked who has and hasn't been mentioned... but out of contracts we could go for:

Chiedozie Ogbene - 26 years old, winger/striker from Rotherham who scored a lot under Warne

Will Keane - 30 years old, striker from Wigan, scored 12 goals in the Championship, done well in League one

Ben Osborn - 28 years old... worth a suggestion as a Derby lad

Callum Connolly - 25 years old, defensive midfielder, 41 games for Blackpool this year

Ronan Curtis - 27 years old, Portsmouth left winger

Cameron Brannagan - 27 years old, Oxford central midfielder

Keane under contract till 2025 it would seem
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-chief-clarifies-will-keane-contract-mystery-4098028

Blackpool have an option to extend Connolly's.

Brannagan is under contract until 2025. Signed a new deal last summer.

I’ve just had a look through Rotherham’s transfers between 2017/18 to 2022/23, as those were the summer windows that Warne had there.

They consistently sign at least 6 or 7, sometimes more, each season. Of those 6 summer windows, a total of 4 players have been brought in who are over the age of 30. Warne clearly favours players in the 21-29 bracket, players who are in their prime. It’s exactly what we need and would freshen this squad up no end.

I'd be looking at Tom Hamer from Burton for one of the full back slots. Also a great usp with his mammoth long throw that's been such an effective weapon for Burton with countless goals directly/indirectly from them. 3 goals and 9 assists in 44 games in all competitions this season, will be 24 in October. 

Barnsley were on for him in January, fee circa 100-200k. He's now out of contract according to reports. 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/barnsley-make-six-figure-offer-23-year-old-centre-back/

10 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I also think Ben Osborne would be a good fit. Versatile player, at the age who knows what it will mean to wear black and white being a Derby lad.

Plus he's got a good engine on him.  And he seems to have that little bit of needle about him, that we've been missing.

I wouldn't mind us taking a look at Josh Harrop as well.  Had a good couple of seasons at Preston before doing his ACL, good set pieces and is a bit of a dribbler.  Still only 27 and I think his short term contract at Northampton is up...

Sonny Bradley has announced he’s leaving Luton at the end of the season apparently.

It’s a strange one, he’s been one of the Championship’s better CBS of recent years and they have a real chance of getting to the PL.

I don’t for one second think we’d be able to get him here ahead of the other teams who will surely be interested, but he’d be some addition to our defence.

6’5, still ‘only’ 31, tons of experience throughout the league. Would be an excellent signing.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Would love it to be, however there have been birthday wishes for the likes of Nugent and Vydra recently too so not sure we can read too much into that. 

They only usually do birthday messages for current players and/or certain ex-players don’t they? You could obviously argue he’s a current player, but also that he’s not seeing as right now he isn’t going to play for us again. His contract is expiring and we probably want to keep him if we can, so it wouldn’t surprise me it was a hint.

14 minutes ago, Kernow said:

They only usually do birthday messages for current players and/or certain ex-players don’t they? You could obviously argue he’s a current player, but also that he’s not seeing as right now he isn’t going to play for us again. His contract is expiring and we probably want to keep him if we can, so it wouldn’t surprise me it was a hint.

Player for the season just gone, I doubt it's any kind of hint. Although, I do think we will sign him.

On 09/05/2023 at 13:28, Ambitious said:

The anticipation is that he’s likely to drop a level according to Exeter fans. Surprising as he’s been very good in both games against us. 

Really? From what I've seen of him that is surprising. Have they indicated why they think he will end up dropping a level? 

On 09/05/2023 at 13:50, Ambitious said:

Exeter didn't offer him a contract and he's not been playing regularly at the back end of the season. He's still only 22, honestly I'd be happy to have him based on what I've seen - even if it's a low cost viable alternative. Usually, at this level, you don't see too many technically sound players and he looked very comfortable.

I can't get my head round Exeter not offering him terms, therefore no compensation, but they must have their reasons. 

So I've been to about 10 exeter games this year, he's very much been in and out of the side

Historic injury problems so Caldwell brought in dimitri mitchell who is light years ahead of him. Sparkes whilst great off the bench never really kicked on this season and was one of the only people seen sulking at times, clearly wants regular football which is fair enough. They have a big rebuild this year with Key, Brown, Collins, Sparkes, Blackman, Stanno, Chaulke, Harper all first teamers leaving so are essentially starting afresh

He'd be a good rotation option to learn from Fozzy, Josh Key and Archie Collins would be fantastic players to kick on but general consensus is they'll end up at a lower end champ club