Free agents in the summer

B4ev6is

https://www.fanzine.com/football/derby-county-fc/paul-warne-issues-derby-county-transfer-update-ahead-of-deadline

Speaking to Derbyshire Live, he said: “We’re trying to bring a striker in that suits us and suits the way we play. If we can’t, then we can’t, there’s no point in just going to get a striker for strikers’ sake.”

Warne is keen to ensure that his side doesn’t repeat the mistakes of the past, with squad harmony a huge factor in his decision-making.

“That’s the problem with January and I don’t like the January window. It is literally there for mistakes that have been made in the previous summer because that’s really what you’re doing which is trying to correct what went wrong.

“We have a substantial amount left of the budget available but it has to improve what we’ve got and if it isn’t going to improve what we got then I’m not going to spend it.”

Warne confirmed that he is still in the market for a striker but he will not be pressured into signing one for the sake of it.

11 hours ago, Oldben said:

are any of these worth signing ... 1. Tom Carroll; 2. Oumar Niasse; 3. Sammy Ameobi; 4. Fraizer Campbell; 5. Tom Elliott; 6. Izzy Brown; 7. Joe Dodoo; 8. Callum McManaman; 9. Paul Downing; 10. Zain Westbrooke; 11. Max Power; 12. Will Keane; 13. Jordan Archer; 14. Wes Harding; 15. Conor Wickham

Any of them likely to improve our squad?

Always thought Ameobi looked good for forest. 

40 minutes ago, Oldben said:

https://www.fanzine.com/football/derby-county-fc/paul-warne-issues-derby-county-transfer-update-ahead-of-deadline

Speaking to Derbyshire Live, he said: “We’re trying to bring a striker in that suits us and suits the way we play. If we can’t, then we can’t, there’s no point in just going to get a striker for strikers’ sake.”

Warne is keen to ensure that his side doesn’t repeat the mistakes of the past, with squad harmony a huge factor in his decision-making.

“That’s the problem with January and I don’t like the January window. It is literally there for mistakes that have been made in the previous summer because that’s really what you’re doing which is trying to correct what went wrong.

“We have a substantial amount left of the budget available but it has to improve what we’ve got and if it isn’t going to improve what we got then I’m not going to spend it.”

Warne confirmed that he is still in the market for a striker but he will not be pressured into signing one for the sake of it.

That relates to the January window.

12 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I think Sam Winnal would be a good addition. Hard working team player with some grit about him who loved his time here. He also can find the back of the net.

He was always an up and at ‘em striker who didn’t give defenders or keepers a moment’s peace.

Yesterday he looked like a toy that needs new batteries.

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Things will be a lot different with far more players available.

That might be true, I'm concerned that a lot of clubs compete for talent amongst the free agents, which means it's a challenge.

Several new teams join league one next season.

Pw says he will only buy if they improve what we have now, and keep team harmony.

If any club is willing to pay a transfer fee or higher salary, we don't get the player.

We get an early start than last summer, in terms of trying to bring talent in.

It's my belief the team requires surgery ie a big change with many new faces that better fit the 352 formation that pw is on record as saying he wants to play.

I read that pw is looking for players in the 23 to 30 age range, that makes the challenge harder, but understandable if he wants resale value for players.

The summer after this the club finally gets to spend some transfer money, I'm excited about that.

22 hours ago, Oldben said:

That might be true, I'm concerned that a lot of clubs compete for talent amongst the free agents, which means it's a challenge.

Several new teams join league one next season.

Pw says he will only buy if they improve what we have now, and keep team harmony.

If any club is willing to pay a transfer fee or higher salary, we don't get the player.

We get an early start than last summer, in terms of trying to bring talent in.

It's my belief the team requires surgery ie a big change with many new faces that better fit the 352 formation that pw is on record as saying he wants to play.

I read that pw is looking for players in the 23 to 30 age range, that makes the challenge harder, but understandable if he wants resale value for players.

The summer after this the club finally gets to spend some transfer money, I'm excited about that.

I share this concern OB. 

Should we make the play-offs then many free agents will have already agreed terms or be a long way down that road, before we throw our hat in the ring and with the 23-30 age range we need then the pool of what's available could leave slim pickings for players who PW genuinely feels will improve us - as you said, we can all see it and its completely understandable. 

With many of our squad out of contract, returning loans, or probably not having a future with us then we have another big re-build for next season, meaning the new squad will need 'time to gel' or 'no proper preseason behind them' will be used if we don't hit the ground running.  

I don't think fans will be as patient as we have. I suspect it will mean another season of several loan players. 

We don't have any youngsters showing enough and I don't think we even have a pathway available now to the first team if we did. Those we had have left to find the grass is certainly not greener.

I enjoy the debates, opinions and rumours created from the free agent lists but will be pleased when the club can finally work properly again in the transfer market 

Gangway D from the terrace.

5 hours ago, GangwayD said:

I share this concern OB. 

Should we make the play-offs then many free agents will have already agreed terms or be a long way down that road, before we throw our hat in the ring and with the 23-30 age range we need then the pool of what's available could leave slim pickings for players who PW genuinely feels will improve us - as you said, we can all see it and its completely understandable. 

With many of our squad out of contract, returning loans, or probably not having a future with us then we have another big re-build for next season, meaning the new squad will need 'time to gel' or 'no proper preseason behind them' will be used if we don't hit the ground running.  

I don't think fans will be as patient as we have. I suspect it will mean another season of several loan players. 

We don't have any youngsters showing enough and I don't think we even have a pathway available now to the first team if we did. Those we had have left to find the grass is certainly not greener.

I enjoy the debates, opinions and rumours created from the free agent lists but will be pleased when the club can finally work properly again in the transfer market 

I don't see us guaranteeing a play-off slot given our next two opponents.

Aside from that next season, what exactly can pw do to build strength given the transfer restrictions?

As a result, the outright push for promotion will come in the season when transfers are allowed again.

That doesn't 100% resolve the issues either. Sure we will have a transfer budget but so will other clubs. 

Whenever we get our transfer budget back, we'll need to go all out for promotion.

As to pw, the owners are not getting rid of him, he's on a 4 year contract, as is his staff.

As for this transfer window, what prevents us from getting similar players to last season?

Older players, end of their careers, little sell on value. By the season's end, they're too tired.

On 24/04/2023 at 19:51, Oldben said:

I don't see us guaranteeing a play-off slot given our next two opponents.

Aside from that next season, what exactly can pw do to build strength given the transfer restrictions?

As a result, the outright push for promotion will come in the season when transfers are allowed again.

That doesn't 100% resolve the issues either. Sure we will have a transfer budget but so will other clubs. 

Whenever we get our transfer budget back, we'll need to go all out for promotion.

As to pw, the owners are not getting rid of him, he's on a 4 year contract, as is his staff.

As for this transfer window, what prevents us from getting similar players to last season?

Older players, end of their careers, little sell on value. By the season's end, they're too tired.

What the hell yes we will and have  not seen fight of derby county ram on the shirt we will get into the play offs.

Stop being negative for crying out loud.

On 24/04/2023 at 14:07, GangwayD said:

I share this concern OB. 

We will have 3 lists already and will have spoken to the free agents

List A - Players we will sign if we don't go up

List B - Players who will only come/or we can only afford if we go up

List C - People we would sign either way

From what I have read, players tend to edge their bets and wait till June and July more than they used to. As an hypothetical example Josh Key at Exeter would probably want to play in the Championship next year. Rotherham may double his salary to £6k a week, but if we went up we could triple it and he doesn't have to live in a poo hole. Good players will take their time.    

57 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well contact talks taking place with macgoldic and Robert's derby speaking to his agent so talks are under way.

Roberts will have a few championship offers if he finishes the season in reasonable form.

I expect McGoldrick to get better offers money wise than here unless we go up, quite possibly from a Barnsley or Sheff Wednesday if we stay down and they go up.  If that happens, it's local to home, not as much expectation to bust a gut as the main striking option and probably the last 12-24 months of his career so he'd have to have a serious affection for Derby to stay here.

See what happens over the next few weeks .  The league we're in will dictate a lot.  Way of the world.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Roberts will have a few championship offers if he finishes the season in reasonable form.

I expect McGoldrick to get better offers money wise than here unless we go up, quite possibly from a Barnsley or Sheff Wednesday if we stay down and they go up.  If that happens, it's local to home, not as much expectation to bust a gut as the main striking option and probably the last 12-24 months of his career so he'd have to have a serious affection for Derby to stay here.

See what happens over the next few weeks .  The league we're in will dictate a lot.  Way of the world.

Well radio derby confirmed this Well warn wants keep Robert's I see no reason why he wont stay at derby and plus he likes it here.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Also macgoldic also loves at derby plus near family here so no reason for him to leave.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Well radio derby confirmed this Well warn wants keep Robert's I see no reason why he wont stay at derby and plus he likes it here.

He might love it at home in Brighton as well - he will play somewhere next season and he has done decently here this season so it might be up to Brighton where he develops next season 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

He might love it at home in Brighton as well - he will play somewhere next season and he has done decently here this season so it might be up to Brighton where he develops next season 

Think he is out of contract so his choice where to go now.