Free agents in the summer

B4ev6is

7 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

You've actually hit the nail on the head in a round about way when asking "can you even begin to imagine the repercussions for them if...?" 

All throughout the ordeal, and throughout previous clubs' ordeals, the EFL's main concern has been their own image, making sure that they had their own backs covered so as for no blame to lie at their door. 

Dhead as he was, Morris had a point about the EFL's inability to properly govern the leagues in a way which created fair competition, about parachute payments and about their inability to sell their product for the right sort of money. It never sat right with them that he had pointed this out and you'd better believe that it had some impact on the way we were treated when Mel's own b******* hit the fan.

What I don't understand if your point is well made is why didn't the rest of the league clubs leap to our defence? Could it be that they disagreed with Morris's viewpoint and sided with the EFL and their view of Mel's running of our club?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What I don't understand if your point is well made is why didn't the rest of the league clubs leap to our defence? Could it be that they disagreed with Morris's viewpoint and sided with the EFL and their view of Mel's running of our club?

Leeds were publicly opposed to the EFL's TV deal too. Even banned Sky from entering Elland Road at one point.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-premier-league-mel-morris-2096800

It’s my opinion that AT FIRST they wanted us gone, that it would send a message to other clubs that they were not to be messed with. They’d done the same with Bury, but nobody really gave a sh*t, so they wanted a bigger scalp.

When it started to get close the heat was turned on them, the turning point was the Bury MP standing up for us in Parliament, it still makes me teary eyed now, just writing this.What a great speech that was.

After that they changed tactic and gave us every chance to survive, because it meant they could scuttle back under their rock and carry on as normal.

Edited by curb

8 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

You've actually hit the nail on the head in a round about way when asking "can you even begin to imagine the repercussions for them if...?" 

All throughout the ordeal, and throughout previous clubs' ordeals, the EFL's main concern has been their own image, making sure that they had their own backs covered so as for no blame to lie at their door. 

Dhead as he was, Morris had a point about the EFL's inability to properly govern the leagues in a way which created fair competition, about parachute payments and about their inability to sell their product for the right sort of money. It never sat right with them that he had pointed this out and you'd better believe that it had some impact on the way we were treated when Mel's own b******* hit the fan.

Of course it wasn't their intention to see us go out of business, that would be madness, but it most certainly was their intention to levy against us as many charges as possible and apply as high a level of punishment for those charges as they could get away with. They went to great lengths to ensure that anything in their rulebooks that was open to interpretation, that could be dealt with  at their discretion on a case by case basis, was interpreted in whichever manner most turned the screws on us.

Indeed the very real proposition of our demise was not their intention, but an oversight, missed because they were more focused on getting their own back on Mel Morris than treating us in accordance with their treatment of other clubs 

It was an outcome for which the chances it stood to occur had been exacerbated by the nature in which they had pursued their case against us and their failure to deal with others taking action against us, itself brought about because their own failings had put them in an impossible situation whereby Gibson was threatening to sue them!

Their archaic incompetence is only highlighted by their very actions risking their priority number 1, self defence of their public image. It was crushed when the politicians started getting involved.

By the end they were s******* themselves at the prospect that this nearly happened on their watch, but still of course they wouldn't hold their hands up and instead came out with some nonsense that made it sound like they were the ones responsible for vetoing Kirchner's bid.

Probably the best sum up of the situation i've seen. 

At some point in the future we'll get to the PL and i really do hope we can sing 'f*** the EFL' for about the last 15 minutes of that fateful match (hopefully it can be a PO final to really show them up on national tv). We will never forget, just like we won't forget Mel's part or Boros and Wycombe's.

30 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Probably the best sum up of the situation i've seen. 

At some point in the future we'll get to the PL and i really do hope we can sing 'f*** the EFL' for about the last 15 minutes of that fateful match (hopefully it can be a PO final to really show them up on national tv). We will never forget, just like we won't forget Mel's part or Boros and Wycombe's.

That'll really show em.

36 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not a bad shout. We'll likely need to replace the experience of Davies, Chester and Stearman in the summer. Makes sense that it's someone Warne knows very well and trusts.

Out of contract too.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

53 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, but how many stood up for us? The EFL is representative of all the League clubs.

I think it's just human nature.

The vast majority aren't interested in rocking the boat and don't allow their egos to pick fights they stand little chance of winning. They've also seen loud and clear how people who do challenge the EFL get treated, so why would they open themselves up to such reproach voluntarily?

They wouldn't, they'd rather sit back and watch someone else go up against authority and be first in line reap any benefits, should anything actually come of the challenge, without getting their own hands dirty.

Also not many of the 72 EFL clubs would really give a toss, really.

Mel's challenge of them was very much borne out of our position as a Championship club regularly pushing toward the top end of the league and trying to compete with clubs receiving parachute payments - that was maybe of interest to fellow ambitious Championship clubs but there was little reason for anyone at the bottom end of the league or the 48 clubs in League One & league Two to be interested in our argument.

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

The vast majority aren't interested in rocking the boat and don't allow their egos to pick fights they stand little chance of winning. They've also seen loud and clear how people who do challenge the EFL get treated, so why would they open themselves up to such reproach voluntarily?

They wouldn't, they'd rather sit back and watch someone else go up against authority and be first in line reap any benefits, should anything actually come of the challenge,  without getting their own hands dirty.

Reading ?

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

They wouldn't, they'd rather sit back and watch someone else go up against authority and be first in line reap any benefits, should anything actually come of the challenge,  without getting their own hands dirty.

Done that a few times at work and elsewhere, so must be a boat rocker.  Most memorably going to the aid of a woman who'd been punched in the face by her boyfriend on Gower Street.  Not only did I have to tackle him and his two mates.  She got up, grabbed my hair for hurting her boyfriend and started hitting me with a stilletto.  The 5 stitches she gave me were a wonderful thank you. I'd do it again mind.  I don't back down to t**** though you can come a cropper.

31 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Mel's challenge of them was very much borne out of our position as a Championship club regularly pushing toward the top end of the league and trying to compete with clubs receiving parachute payments - that was maybe of interest to fellow ambitious Championship clubs but there was little reason for anyone at the bottom end of the league or the 48 clubs in League One & league Two to be interested in our argument.

Indeed. I was originally talking about the EFL in general and their response to us - the EFL are all the league clubs representatives. But perhaps in this instance (and maybe others) most clubs thought that 'our interests' where not theirs. So in a way we were being no better than the Prem clubs, only out for themselves? 

Anyway, I really was saying that perhaps we weren't liked well enough for others to bother arguing against our treatment and whilst it was down to 'the EFL', the EFL are all of the clubs.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on what Warne has said a few times regarding goals from corners, Matt Pennington has to be high up the wish list of CBs no matter which division. Either first choice in L1 or squad option in the Championship.
Right sided CB and has 4 set piece goals this season, with only 4 players having more this season (1 defender), and only 4 players have more headed goals (all CFs).

Cashin, Pennington, Roberts, Rooney plus 2 more CBs I reckon.

Ghosty, Matt Pennington is a great shout if he's out of contract.  I've been impressed with him. 

Whilst Curtis, Steargoat, and Chester will all probably leave in the Summer, someone mentioned Richard Wood who would replace that experience, but I'm not sure he'd be worth bothering with.  I'd give Fozzie another year as a left sided centre back option.  Roberts also covers but I think he's more of a natural left-back, so you could be right in that we may need three CB's this summer.  

Kind Regards

Gangway D from the terrace