Charlton Athletic (H), 3pm Saturday 18th February.

Rev

On 16/02/2023 at 16:55, Blondest Goat said:

Smiths not really let us down from a defensive perspective but he probably deserves a rest and Rooney's crossing can't possibly be as bad.

I don't think professional players want a rest. They have a week off after today.

I am in the minority here but I'm not a fan if Smith at RB. I just don't think he offers enough offensively and therefore you need to be a defensive expert which he isn't either. I'd be giving Rooney a role here.

Wildsmith

Rooney Forsyth  Cashin  Sibley

White

Knight           Hourihane

NML                              Barkhuizen 

McGoldrick

This won't be the team but I'd like to see it.

My team would be something along the lines of:

Wildsmith

Korey   Foz  Cash   Haydon

Jase      Harvey       Conor

Nate        Didzy         Barks 

I'd like to see Dobbin and Sibbo getting a full 30 minutes against tired legs, whether we're winning the game or chasing it and maybe reward Rooney with some game time at RB given he's not let us down in his limited opportunities to date.

I'd like to see Harvey just behind the other two mids screening the back 4 but with a remit to push up when the opportunity arises and Didzy in the pocket between midfield and speedsters. Harvey needs to be brave and not plump for the easy option given his passing ability. I'd also like to see him taking charge of set pieces.

Lastly I like to see Jason and Conor pushing up as much as they dare. They need to adopt positions from which they can hurt the oppo and also to provide Didzy with passing options and support.

Expecting a better performance than last time out when we looked right off it. Even the ever dependable Wildsmith and Cashin looked rocky and we need those two on their A-game. Another poor performance and the doubts and doubters will be creeping in. Who'd be a manager, eh!

3-0 to the Mighty Rams, with NML to set us on our way.

COYR

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

My team would be something along the lines of:

Wildsmith

Korey   Foz  Cash   Haydon

Jase      Harvey       Conor

Nate        Didzy         Barks 

I'd like to see Dobbin and Sibbo getting a full 30 minutes against tired legs, whether we're winning the game or chasing it and maybe reward Rooney with some game time at RB given he's not let us down in his limited opportunities to date.

I'd like to see Harvey just behind the other two mids screening the back 4 but with a remit to push up when the opportunity arises and Didzy in the pocket between midfield and speedsters. Harvey needs to be brave and not plump for the easy option given his passing ability. I'd also like to see him taking charge of set pieces.

Lastly I like to see Jason and Conor pushing up as much as they dare. They need to adopt positions from which they can hurt the oppo and also to provide Didzy with passing options and support.

Expecting a better performance than last time out when we looked right off it. Even the ever dependable Wildsmith and Cashin looked rocky and we need those two on their A-game. Another poor performance and the doubts and doubters will be creeping in. Who'd be a manager, eh!

3-0 to the Mighty Rams, with NML to set us on our way.

COYR

Wish I was on first name basis with the players like you Hairy ?

2 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

I'd go with:

Wildsmith
Smith  Forsyth  Cashin  Roberts
          Knight  Hourihane
 Mendez-Laing  Sibley  Dobbin
               McGoldrick

I'd still like to see what Sibbo could do in a more advanced role at this level for a few games in a row. COYR

Exactly. I maintain he would likely transform our play if moved into his most dangerous and effective position.

Warne says his selection philosophy is to find a way to put all his best players on the pitch, so I presume this is why Sibley ends up at left back as only he and Fozzy out of the 11 can play there. But it means we lose so much creativity/verve/threat in the middle of the park. And this means all our attacks are down the flanks rather than coming from everywhere. 

5 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

He has always been upfront about this being his main method of attack.

Indeed, but I think our opponents set up specifically to counter this. It would be harder for them to do that and to stop us playing if we were equally threatening down the middle as well.

Edited by Carl Sagan

Glad to see White gets a start, think he’ll balance the midfield and I want to see if the good glimpses we’ve seen are consistent over a full game. Hope NML has recharged his battery 

brought my now 30 year old nephew to his first football game V Charton. 199? Lost 3-1 so I need personal revenge ?

4 minutes ago, jono said:

Glad to see White gets a start, think he’ll balance the midfield and I want to see if the good glimpses we’ve seen are consistent over a full game. Hope NML has recharged his battery 

brought my now 30 year old nephew to his first football game V Charton. 199? Lost 3-1 so I need personal revenge ?

Hopefully NML has recharged both batteries and will be firing on all cylinders ?