Chrissy Martin

AdamSumnerDCFC6

2 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I would have guessed that another appearance could possibly trigger a contract extension. However your next post says something similar was activated last summer. 

Therefore I concur with your conclusion that his time is most definitely done there as he is almost certainly out of their plans for other reasons/reason than money. 

I have to say I'm surprised he's stayed there as long as he has under the Ostrichs' stewardship. 

A bit more found online, 2 weeks ago:

When asked about Martin's future, Pearson responded: "He’s a player that knows exactly where he stands as do a number of players. What is also important is we don’t cut our nose off to spite our face. 

"We have to remain competitive during the rest of the season with injuries being as they are, you’ll see from selection the direction we are going in. We’ve had enquiries about players but it just remains that, there has been tentative enquiries but not a lot going on really.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-nigel-pearson-martin-8023370

They are in the same situation as many clubs, needing to sell before they can buy. With the above comment and excluding him from the match day squad, suggests he’s free to leave but Pearson would want some kind of backup lined up ready to come in. Whilst they have a small cushion from the bottom 3, don’t want to leave themselves too thin.

If it was purely a financial decision, back last season you would ensure that the extension wasn’t triggered, off the books and free to move on. With him starting the season though, must have been in his plans, then not for whatever reason. Owners nightmare really as it wastes a chunk of money that could have been reinvested back in the summer which is a better window to get value for money.

4 minutes ago, David said:

A bit more found online, 2 weeks ago:

When asked about Martin's future, Pearson responded: "He’s a player that knows exactly where he stands as do a number of players. What is also important is we don’t cut our nose off to spite our face. 

"We have to remain competitive during the rest of the season with injuries being as they are, you’ll see from selection the direction we are going in. We’ve had enquiries about players but it just remains that, there has been tentative enquiries but not a lot going on really.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-nigel-pearson-martin-8023370

They are in the same situation as many clubs, needing to sell before they can buy. With the above comment and excluding him from the match day squad, suggests he’s free to leave but Pearson would want some kind of backup lined up ready to come in. Whilst they have a small cushion from the bottom 3, don’t want to leave themselves too thin.

If it was purely a financial decision, back last season you would ensure that the extension wasn’t triggered, off the books and free to move on. With him starting the season though, must have been in his plans, then not for whatever reason. Owners nightmare really as it wastes a chunk of money that could have been reinvested back in the summer which is a better window to get value for money.

I'm glad we've agreed he's finally coming back. ?

9 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'm glad we've agreed he's finally coming back. ?

Ha, steady on. Even if we put aside would he fit into this team or not, you have to question what kind of deal it would be.

Would a loan deal work? Probably not as the small amount of wages we could contribute to, probably doesn’t give him room to replace without other departures as well. Bentley is set to join Wolves, couldn’t even begin to guess what money he would have been on. 

Deadline day it could come down to that, take say 4k a week in wages, then try to get an Prem youngster on loan paying the 4k to the parent club. Ideally though you would imagine they would be looking for a club to take him off their hands for free, maybe even offer to cover a few grand a week till the end of the season.

Then you have to question, is he happy to be a third choice striker in League 1, would he take the reduced wages on offer which you would imagine will be an 18 month contract at most.

You really need to know where his head is at, for all we know this could be it, happy to sit out the rest of the season and hang his boots up in the summer and move on to the next chapter of his life.

No shame in retiring at 34. Not sure what else this forum would talk about then, I’m sure we’d move on to someone else to pine for in time.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Ha, steady on. Even if we put aside would he fit into this team or not, you have to question what kind of deal it would be.

Would a loan deal work? Probably not as the small amount of wages we could contribute to, probably doesn’t give him room to replace without other departures as well. Bentley is set to join Wolves, couldn’t even begin to guess what money he would have been on. 

Deadline day it could come down to that, take say 4k a week in wages, then try to get an Prem youngster on loan paying the 4k to the parent club. Ideally though you would imagine they would be looking for a club to take him off their hands for free, maybe even offer to cover a few grand a week till the end of the season.

Then you have to question, is he happy to be a third choice striker in League 1, would he take the reduced wages on offer which you would imagine will be an 18 month contract at most.

You really need to know where his head is at, for all we know this could be it, happy to sit out the rest of the season and hang his boots up in the summer and move on to the next chapter of his life.

No shame in retiring at 34. Not sure what else this forum would talk about then, I’m sure we’d move on to someone else to pine for in time.

He's probably got kids, we'll wait till we sign one of them.

1 hour ago, David said:

Played the full 90 of the first 3 games, scored 1 then fell out of favour. He’s only played 90 minutes once in November since….I would suggest that says he’s just not been in Pearson’s plans for whatever reason rather than money.

Doesn’t make sense not to play him if you’re paying him anyway, especially when near the foot of the table if he’s still as good as some of you are suggesting….unless he’s on some ridiculous appearance fee and bonuses.

Out of contract in the summer as well, so not like he has 2 or 3 years to run and been told by upstairs he really needs to be pushed out, if that was the case, would have done it in the summer and not started the games. Was well documented back then they may struggle with FFP. 

Doesn’t make sense not to use him but it’s Pearson we are talking about 

17 minutes ago, David said:

There surely has to be a thread calling for him to be our next manager? 

7 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

There surely has to be a thread calling for him to be our next manager? 

It’s only a matter of time, surprised player coach hasn’t been mentioned yet, that’s a classic go to suggestion.

3 minutes ago, David said:

It’s only a matter of time, surprised player coach hasn’t been mentioned yet, that’s a classic go to suggestion.

Joking aside, I think he could have the skill set to one day be a manager somewhere.

Always came across as articulate in interviews. By all accounts was a strong character in the dressing room so that would point to being able to command players respect. He definitely has a strong winning mentality.

Obviously the above doesn't guarantee success and it's only my personal opinion but I wouldn't be surprised if he did pursue that route when he eventually retires. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Our wage constraints are based on the squad as a whole, we can afford to pay a select few more than the cap as long as a few are on less than the average cap. Hence Hourihane/Mcgoldrick being in our squad. 

27 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Our wage constraints are based on the squad as a whole, we can afford to pay a select few more than the cap as long as a few are on less than the average cap. Hence Hourihane/Mcgoldrick being in our squad. 

Be very interesting in the next transfer window ( and,hopefully,this one!) when you look at players whose contracts expire in summer.we can trigger an extension to Knight's but as for the others? Add Loach and Springett to the list as well.

1E9B5A9C-C4F1-4A05-9AB0-0104EB995B10.jpeg

31 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Be very interesting in the next transfer window ( and,hopefully,this one!) when you look at players whose contracts expire in summer.we can trigger an extension to Knight's but as for the others? Add Loach and Springett to the list as well.

1E9B5A9C-C4F1-4A05-9AB0-0104EB995B10.jpeg

I thought Hourihane had signed a 2 year deal last summer?

Loved Chris. Proper ram, very deft and clever. Scored goals which is what strikers should do.

Had his flaws and limitations but for where we were he was in a must have category. Thing is we are 8 years on. We aren’t the same and Chrissy isn’t either. I’d love the romance of it but naaaa boat has sailed .. you might get a magic moment but we are building something for more than a flash of past triumphs and an Indian summer for a former hero. 

And as an aside … (sorry Roy) I loathed the falling over, clever occasionally, but as a habit, which it was, not for me. 

Chris has had his place and time at Derby and I like many others loved seeing him scoring in a Rams shirt! 

I just can’t see him in a Paul Warne team though. It’s evident he likes energy up front and constant pressing, and this is something Chris just can’t do.

I still think we need a RB and a striker this window though. An injury to Collins or Mcgoldrick will leave us short for the run in. 

40 minutes ago, jono said:

you might get a magic moment but we are building something for more than a flash of past triumphs and an Indian summer for a former hero. 

I don't really think we're looking to sign him. But as for looking for more than a 'flash' we can only give two year contracts max can't we?