The Good Old Days

Cheltenham away was the 81st ground where I have seen Derby play. My first match at the Baseball Ground was in 1966 aged 8 when my Father and Grandfather took me. First away game was Villa Park in 1968/69 during Clough and Taylors promotion season. Cheltenham's ground made me feel I was back in the 60's again (how lucky we are with Pride Park).

I stood behind the Derby dugout yesterday and loved it when Paul Warne popped round the side of the dugout and exchanged some jovial banter with the Cheltenham fans behind him. All in the best possible taste and another throw back to the good old days. How many grounds could that happen at nowadays ?

Finally, I don't think I have ever witnessed home fans applaud an away goal in the way the Cheltenham fans around me did with Birdy's screamer. A sporting response from football supporters very rarely seen in the modern game.

A great day yesterday but back to the 21st century next week against Bolton.

19 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I think the worst bog was at the Manor Ground Oxford where you needed a coracle to navigate the sea of months old piss ?

Can't be as bad a the open air on at Chesterfield at the game when it snowed.

Couldn't eat vanilla ice cream for years after that.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Is that the game where the centre circle was like Butterley Res -10 in winter and a the outsides where like a ploughed field  after a deluge.

On bogs the old one, at the BBG, on the corner of the Ossie End just under the C Stand corner always had it's own fruity fragrance!!

3 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Did the bogs resemble those on the Popside at a 38,000 gate for the full experience?

The bogs on the Popside in a 38k attendance in the 1960s were the terraces where you stood lol

Come to think about it, if we are talking pre Ley Stand I don't think you'd get £38k in the BBG in those days 

3 hours ago, sage said:

Remember going there and looking in to the houses across the street while I relieved myself. Interesting experience.

On 16/01/2023 at 11:31, oldtimeram said:

The bogs on the Popside in a 38k attendance in the 1960s were the terraces where you stood lol

Come to think about it, if we are talking pre Ley Stand I don't think you'd get £38k in the BBG in those days 

I think the previous record in the '50's was just over 39,000

15 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Still beat Chelsea in the results section. check out the massive under 9k attendance at Stamford Bridge ?

Two OG’s and a Gemmill pen. 
Look at the crowds, Div 1, Man City biggest with 26k, few more there tonight. 

English football was in a dark place in those days post Heysel. I remember that admitting to being a season ticket holder or even following any club was not something you bragged about to people you didn't know. I think that we were all tarnished with the same brush as hooligans. It's so different now, the premier is awash with money, the grounds and playing surfaces are so much better. Modern fans have all been 'lifelong' fans, but many of those who could afford to follow their teams in the 70s/80s, can no longer do so.

In so many respects football has improved and for this, some thanks will go to the money from Sky and the tough restrictions from the government of the time. But also many things have been lost from the people's game, that's also down to the money from Sky and the government at the time. 

Sometimes, I yearn for the old days, but then It's tempered with some bad memories of the old days.

I wish for the character of the old days, players earning great, but not mind blowing wages, players not faking injury, clubs owned by local rich fans, watching football from the terraces if you wish at prices which everyone can afford. I liked the fact that the top league wasn't financially that different to those leagues below it.

I'm happy that we have better stadiums, where you can go to the toilet in relative comfort and generally stay dry whilst watching the game without so many obstructions. The game is played on pitches in good condition throughout the season and we are able to see all of our games replayed back, if we wish. I'm happy that violence at the matches is greatly reduced. Unfortunately, I don't believe that my utopia will ever exist.

36 minutes ago, ram59 said:

English football was in a dark place in those days post Heysel. I remember that admitting to being a season ticket holder or even following any club was not something you bragged about to people you didn't know. I think that we were all tarnished with the same brush as hooligans. It's so different now, the premier is awash with money, the grounds and playing surfaces are so much better. Modern fans have all been 'lifelong' fans, but many of those who could afford to follow their teams in the 70s/80s, can no longer do so.

In so many respects football has improved and for this, some thanks will go to the money from Sky and the tough restrictions from the government of the time. But also many things have been lost from the people's game, that's also down to the money from Sky and the government at the time. 

Sometimes, I yearn for the old days, but then It's tempered with some bad memories of the old days.

I wish for the character of the old days, players earning great, but not mind blowing wages, players not faking injury, clubs owned by local rich fans, watching football from the terraces if you wish at prices which everyone can afford. I liked the fact that the top league wasn't financially that different to those leagues below it.

I'm happy that we have better stadiums, where you can go to the toilet in relative comfort and generally stay dry whilst watching the game without so many obstructions. The game is played on pitches in good condition throughout the season and we are able to see all of our games replayed back, if we wish. I'm happy that violence at the matches is greatly reduced. Unfortunately, I don't believe that my utopia will ever exist.

Can't be post Heysel as it would be 82/83 roughly

Edited by Rich84