Do we really know what restrictions we are under ?

jono

We have sold over 19000 season tickets this season, with the average price being approx £297 means the clubs revenue for season ticket sales is approx £5.8m. I typed in "what do Derby county players earn per week" and it came up with one website called Capology. Here is a small quote from that site.

2022-2023 Derby County FC Player Salaries

Derby County FC (League One) Total Gross Salaries for the 2022-2023 Season is £4,360,000, or £83,846 per week. The Highest Paid Player at Derby County FC is Haydon Roberts (Centre-Back), who is 20 years old.

Gross means before tax, I also believe that the figures must include coaches and other non-playing staff. Here I have another bit from the same site which just refers to players.

£83,846

weekly payroll

£3,811

avg/player

£4,360,000

annual payroll

£198,182

avg/player

Just now, plymouthram said:

We have sold over 19000 season tickets this season, with the average price being approx £297 means the clubs revenue for season ticket sales is approx £5.8m. I typed in "what do Derby county players earn per week" and it came up with one website called Capology. Here is a small quote from that site.

2022-2023 Derby County FC Player Salaries

Derby County FC (League One) Total Gross Salaries for the 2022-2023 Season is £4,360,000, or £83,846 per week. The Highest Paid Player at Derby County FC is Haydon Roberts (Centre-Back), who is 20 years old.

Gross means before tax, I also believe that the figures must include coaches and other non-playing staff. Here I have another bit from the same site which just refers to players.

£83,846

weekly payroll

£3,811

avg/player

£4,360,000

annual payroll

£198,182

avg/player

If these figures are correct, our season ticket sales cover the players wages.

Short answer to the OP's query is no. Some on here quite dogmatic in their responses but we don't know and if murmurings from the club hold any water, they are not too clear either. Post-admin, we clearly have some limited clarity; the repayment structure agreed with those lovely fellows at the EFL must be adhered to. All football debts must be settled as per agreed terms save for when concessions are offered. Think Arsenal and Bielik, for instance. The remaining creditors will be paid their 25 pips and again, a schedule will have been agreed in order for us to exit administration. That leaves the ongoing issue of OPEX; the club is required to show fiscal prudence and to avoid doing anything that even hints at a backward step. But let's not forget the Covid concessions afforded to every club save for ours truly. My hunch is that if we are ticking all the above boxes, there may be some latitude with any surplus funds, especially those generated from player sales. Given how the EFL have been bent over by other clubs recently, one suspects the last thing they want is DCFC lobbying again at treatment meted out to Derby, but waived with other outfits. A bigger issue may be the availability of the right players at the right price IMO.

2 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Why would Roberts be our highest earner ?

Based on his wages from coming in on loan from a Premier league club. Would'nt be surprised if Dobbin is the 2nd highest paid, but that information is not shown. On the same site (Capology), I went into Ipswich and Sheff Weds figures, both paying out more in wages with Wednesday seasons bill at £6.72m and both clubs don't pull in the same crowds at home games as the Rams.

Another website called "Salary Sport" gives us different figures and breaks down every players wages including youth team players. They have our total wage bill for the season at £7,863,440 and Conor Hourihane our biggest earner on £12,000 a week. Next highest earner being Jason Knight on £10,000. Lowest earner being 17yr old Riley Molonely on £140 a week.

19 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Another website called "Salary Sport" gives us different figures and breaks down every players wages including youth team players. They have our total wage bill for the season at £7,863,440 and Conor Hourihane our biggest earner on £12,000 a week. Next highest earner being Jason Knight on £10,000. Lowest earner being 17yr old Riley Molonely on £140 a week.

They also have Joe Haigh, an U21 loan signing, at £4,100. Those sites are worthless.

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

We don’t get a percentage of the gate receipts as in cup matches, but we do get a fee, 5% I think for selling the tickets for away games.

Just checked the EFL and you are correct:

35.3.3  For League Matches only, the Away Club shall be entitled to a commission representing 5 (five) per cent of the aggregate sales (exclusive of VAT) of tickets sold on behalf of the Home Club, unless otherwise agreed between the Clubs. 

A rather more helpful answer that just posting “wrong” ?

this has been an interesting debate.

But I think it is a real issue there is no clarity behind it. Ok maybe it could be used against us by other clubs and agents that say you have X to spend but it would be nice to know what restrictions stand so that we are in no danger of getting into financial trouble again.

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Based on his wages from coming in on loan from a Premier league club. Would'nt be surprised if Dobbin is the 2nd highest paid, but that information is not shown. On the same site (Capology), I went into Ipswich and Sheff Weds figures, both paying out more in wages with Wednesday seasons bill at £6.72m and both clubs don't pull in the same crowds at home games as the Rams.

it would be highly unlikely we would be covering his entire wage packet. 

its a loan for his development, we would probably be covering a portion that would equate to the average wage at this level regardless of how much the premier league clubs are paying them.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Just checked the EFL and you are correct:

35.3.3  For League Matches only, the Away Club shall be entitled to a commission representing 5 (five) per cent of the aggregate sales (exclusive of VAT) of tickets sold on behalf of the Home Club, unless otherwise agreed between the Clubs. 

A rather more helpful answer that just posting “wrong” ?

Does that mean teams coming to PP get 5% of the ticket sales to home fans?

22 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Of course.

As it happens, whilst there will be some winners (for example FGR who made up less than 5% of the total attendance) and some losers (like Sheffield Wednesday), on average it probably works out about right for our home games. If our average attendance is say 26,000, the visiting teams only need to bring c1,300 to “earn” their 5% commission.

Edited by Tamworthram

36 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Not the way I read that extract from EFL rules. They get a 5% fee for the admin involved in selling their tickets only. So Wednesday sold about 3k at £20 (very rough) = £60k @ 5% = £3,000 admin fee.

FGR get the square root of very little

5 minutes ago, cool_as_custard said:

Not the way I read that extract from EFL rules. They get a 5% fee for the admin involved in selling their tickets only. So Wednesday sold about 3k at £20 (very rough) = £60k @ 5% = £3,000 admin fee.

That's what I assumed too. So 23 away games, at an average of 3000 travelling supporters, at an average of £20, that's £69000 at 5%. It's not going to buy us many players, is it? And my guesstimates are probably way too high as well.

27 minutes ago, cool_as_custard said:

Mmm. I think you’re  right and I stand corrected:

35.3.3  For League Matches only, the Away Club shall be entitled to a commission representing 5 (five) per cent of the aggregate sales (exclusive of VAT) of tickets sold on behalf of the Home Club, unless otherwise agreed between the Clubs. 

Edited by Tamworthram