We're topping the table in one way.....penalties conceded

Tyler Durden

We are top of the league.....7 penalties given away so far.

Looking back over the past 15 seasons in League 1 at the end of the each season the mode for the highest number of penalties conceded by a team is 9.

The record for the most conceded interestingly is 12 by Swindon Town in back to back seasons. 

So given we're only a third of the way through this season we're on course to absolutely obliterate that record unless Warne and his team start doing something totally different.

Yesterday's game was another classic with Forsyth sticking out a leg and their player duly falling over it.

We need to stop being so naive when it comes to defending in our penalty area as a penalty given away every other game is just not sustainable.

Thanks goodness for Wildsmith.

20 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Looking back over the past 15 seasons in League 1 at the end of the each season the mode for the highest number of penalties conceded by a team is 9.

The record for the most conceded interestingly is 12 by Swindon Town in back to back seasons. 

So given we're only a third of the way through this season we're on course to absolutely obliterate that record unless Warne and his team start doing something totally different.

Yesterday's game was another classic with Forsyth sticking out a leg and their player duly falling over it.

We need to stop being so naive when it comes to defending in our penalty area as a penalty given away every other game is just not sustainable.

We are the Haaland of leaving a leg out..

I would have sworn blind that yesterdays wasn’t a pen either, and that was a view shared by everyone around me too (viewed directly in line with the incident in the east stand).  Was really surprised when got back to car that neither Radio Derby or the internet were saying what a bad decision it was.  Haven’t seen it again but assume I and many others were wrong. 
Some of the other decisions have been shockers though! 

16 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I would have sworn blind that yesterdays wasn’t a pen either, and that was a view shared by everyone around me too (viewed directly in line with the incident in the east stand).  Was really surprised when got back to car that neither Radio Derby or the internet were saying what a bad decision it was.  Haven’t seen it again but assume I and many others were wrong. 

I was right behind it too from the halfway line in East Stand. It was the best view I have had of all six penalties. From my view it was definitely not a penalty - the people around me were of the same opinion. The Rovers player was a third of the way down in his fall before the ball even got to them. Still, at least it didn't affect the result this time.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Most of them .. over half …have not actually been penalties. Not much you can do about that. Rooney didn’t get very far complaining about refs last season and they are even worse this year. 

Definitely a penalty yesterday, but as others have said, there’s been so many of them that weren’t. 

First against vale definitely wasn’t, neither of the ones at Accrington should’ve been given either. 

We still need to be smarter and not give these awful officials a decision to make, but can’t legislate for some of this nonsense. 

33 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

My view of the penalty was from the South Stand. My head dropped the moment Forsyth hung his leg out. It was 100% a penalty.

The other posters suggest different and indeed, my view - clear from the east stand - would back that, but you were much closer and will have seen the approach way better. It does highlight the difficulty refs face sometimes. It was soft I reckon, but you were better placed so your opinion must carry more weight. ?

I will say with certainty that their player could easily have stayed on his feet, fell knowingly, in order to “win” a penalty. It’s the game I suppose. Just got to suck it up but I’ve never liked it. 

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

It was pretty much a stonewall penalty, can’t argue with that one.

35 minutes ago, jono said:

The other posters suggest different and indeed, my view - clear from the east stand - would back that, but you were much closer and will have seen the approach way better. It does highlight the difficulty refs face sometimes. It was soft I reckon, but you were better placed so your opinion must carry more weight. ?

I will say with certainty that their player could easily have stayed on his feet, fell knowingly, in order to “win” a penalty. It’s the game I suppose. Just got to suck it up but I’ve never liked it. 

We were West Stand and my hubby thought it was a penalty straight away.

(I never think they are penalties against us, so I don't count!) 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

Most of them .. over half …have not actually been penalties. Not much you can do about that. Rooney didn’t get very far complaining about refs last season and they are even worse this year. 

The issue with that is its like cricket - you know someone is out as you read it in the paper the next day.

Sane with the penalties given against us - they all have been penalties whether you argue against them or not. 

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

We are also top of the table for penalties "saved"!

Lincoln - I didn't see any contact either at the ground or in watching the highlights after. 0

Accrington - Davies one was outside penalty area, Bird one looked like a dive. 0

Port Vale - First one was a dive, second one was handball, no argument. 1

Ipswich - nailed-on dive. 0

Yesterday - thought it was a dive at the ground, but after reviewing it's a clumsy trip by Fozzy even if the player was looking for it. 1

So I reckon 2 out of 7 legit, but each one had actions by our players that gave the ref the opportunity to give a pen. Must be more careful.

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Lincoln - I didn't see any contact either at the ground or in watching the highlights after. 0

Accrington - Davies one was outside penalty area, Bird one looked like a dive. 0

Port Vale - First one was a dive, second one was handball, no argument. 1

Ipswich - nailed-on dive. 0

Yesterday - thought it was a dive at the ground, but after reviewing it's a clumsy trip by Fozzy even if the player was looking for it. 1

So I reckon 2 out of 7 legit, but each one had actions by our players that gave the ref the opportunity to give a pen. Must be more careful.

Funny thing about the second port Vale one was he booked the wrong player so he was still clearly guessing.