Was 4 year contract too long for Paul Warne

Curtains

1 hour ago, alram said:

people always assume a 4 year deal means a 4 year payout, the length is only worth what's written in the contract, it could have a 12 month payoff from point of sacking, it could have 6 month one. these sort of things are common, only stupid or desperate football clubs would commit to the full amount as a payoff. 

Which one are we?

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

If a 4 year contract means we finally stick with something and see it through, allow a manager his poor spells and give him the opportunity to work through them, rather than panicking and dropping the axe at the first sign of trouble then no, it's not a mistake.

(Unless we actually get relegated, but that's not going to happen)

(Please don't screenshot @ or quote me on that in 7 months)

I think there is a perception that when players don't like a manager these days that they just wait them out and stats for how short-lived management appointments generally are tends to back that up. With a 4 years contract for Warne and his backroom staff, just in financial terms it would be impossible to send him packing any time soon. Maybe Clowes feels that sends a message, i.e. the manager is here to stay, now crack on.

3 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

I think there is a perception that when players don't like a manager these days that they just wait them out and stats for how short-lived management appointments generally are tends to back that up. With a 4 years contract for Warne and his backroom staff, just in financial terms it would be impossible to send him packing any time soon. Maybe Clowes feels that sends a message, i.e. the manager is here to stay, now crack on.

Lots of our players are on their way to the knackers yard they'll just do an Anya.

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

That's where the business plan limiting us to 2 year contracts (for players) begins to show its worth.

Fans aren't going to be that patient. The budget is better than presumed because of the PP crowds, that will change.

Edited by RoyMac5

46 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Some fans aren't going to be that patient. The budget is better than presumed because of the PP crowds, that will change.

I hope my slight mod to your post is a fair reflection of the fandom as a whole.

There will be a vocal few who will not show any patience at all - look at how some wanted Rosenior out after 9 games and some are already questioning Warne.  But there are also a lot of fans, who may not be as ‘loud’, who I imagine will be quite happy to see how things go in the medium to long term and give a manager a chance to build a squad over time (it’s going to be over time too because I doubt the budget will be that good).
 Several years of short term appointments did us no good at all (and I realise that not all of those were Mel’s fault - Lampard peeing off probably had the biggest overall impact) and I’m sure many fans will recognise that and prefer a bit of stability at the top.  
Of course, that goes out the window if we end up at the bottom of League 1, but don’t see that happening!

58 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fans aren't going to be that patient. The budget is better than presumed because of the PP crowds, that will change.

My point was more that these players, if they down tools, won't be here for any longer than 2 years to burden us financially, whereas Anya was here for... wait, is he still here?

He hasn't been seen anywhere else since his contract ended, maybe we've got him locked up in a cupboard in Warne's office?

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lots of our players are on their way to the knackers yard they'll just do an Anya.

To be fair, the older ones have 1 year contracts.  Pretty much anyone over 32 was only given a 1 year deal.  I still have cold sweats at the thought of us giving a nearly 33 year old Jason Shackell a 3 year deal.  That’s after paying £3.25M for him!!

We’re roughly a 50:50 mix of those with 2 years and those with 1.

17 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

To be fair, the older ones have 1 year contracts.  Pretty much anyone over 32 was only given a 1 year deal.  I still have cold sweats at the thought of us giving a nearly 33 year old Jason Shackell a 3 year deal.  That’s after paying £3.25M for him!!

We’re roughly a 50:50 mix of those with 2 years and those with 1.

The main thing I remember about that one was we spent a whole summer on getting him as if there were no other decent championship center halfs in existence....

No,it's the length of time required to sort this club out on a long term sustainable basis.

He's comes to a club,on its arse with a mission to get us promoted...a achievement that's on his CV already.

He's started with a rag tag bunch of lightweight players not of his choosing who he's going to have to meld into his long term vision for the club,at least until he can get more in that fit his image.

I'd imagine that this is inline with Mr clowes view of the club too which is why he appointed him in the first place.

Did anyone actually think that this process was going to be achieved overnight or even this season?

We need to calm ourselves down here and take the longer view of where we ultimately want to be as a club.

We will get there,warnes track record emphatically backs that up but we are going to take some pain in the transition.

Have a bit of faith guys and a touch of patience too.

44 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The real surprise is that it's taken this long for a thread like this to spring up. 

I’m happy ? to start a thread like this I’m surprised you are surprised.   I mean it’s a Cocuesc job  

Edited by Curtains

We won't know for a long time, but we are committed to a manager who can rely on the stability and support of the board. It's huge in football. 

I'm as frustrated as anyone, but I don't think we were wrong to commit to a manager.  After a long period of instability, it was a good opportunity for stability - the chairman picked the man who he thought best to drive it. He has to have courage in his conviction. Fingers crossed it all works out. 

After Anya and Blackman I'd suggest 4 years is to long for anyone.  problem is, a very talented young player will normally insist and get that and they have you over a barrel a bit.  Someone's whose 29 or had 10 good games in 4 years shouldn't.  7 million quid and 23k 4 year deals for those two.  Madness

3 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

My point was more that these players, if they down tools, won't be here for any longer than 2 years to burden us financially, whereas Anya was here for... wait, is he still here?

He hasn't been seen anywhere else since his contract ended, maybe we've got him locked up in a cupboard in Warne's office?

I hear he's on 50 k a week at Forest and they're using him as a doorstop with Lyle Taylor.  Within a couple of years he's hoping to get promoted to Marinakis toilet seat warmer, but that won't be available till Arters last 18 months at 25 k a week have finished.