Was 4 year contract too long for Paul Warne

Curtains

1 minute ago, David said:

Warne's been at the club just over a month, I'm not sure how anyone can say yes or no at this point in time. 

Precisely!

It's a question nobody can answer, until it can be answered!

... To be fair, I'm not even certain which previous mistake is being referred to in the OP, to make the comparison, so I'm definitely keeping out of this one!   ?

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Precisely!

It's a question nobody can answer, until it can be answered!

... To be fair, I'm not even certain which previous mistake is being referred to in the OP, to make the comparison, so I'm definitely keeping out of this one!   ?

I think the long contracts Mel gave to Paul Clement and Nigel Pearson spring to mind.

In this case, 4 seems long in the modern game, but it's probably the length of contract was needed to get Warne to up sticks from Rotherham. 

Depends what his wages are really. If we're offering a longer contract in exchange for lower wages then no problem with it. If we're not paying Warne megabucks then again no problem with it, as it will keep the cost down if we ever need to get rid.

I'd say 4 years was probably a bit too long given how much we've had to pay out in the recent past, but we've got to offer something of value in our current limited financial state, so can't disagree with it too much in this instance.

I can’t imagine a four year contract was too long for Paul Warne. I’m sure he was delighted.  

Whether or not a four year contract was too long to give to Paul Warne is something nobody can answer at this point.  The length of contract has no bearing on how we’re currently playing under him.  I would also assume that the club have budgeted for any and all financial implications of a four year contract (hopefully)

If a 4 year contract means we finally stick with something and see it through, allow a manager his poor spells and give him the opportunity to work through them, rather than panicking and dropping the axe at the first sign of trouble then no, it's not a mistake.

(Unless we actually get relegated, but that's not going to happen)

(Please don't screenshot @ or quote me on that in 7 months)

39 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Have the club made the same mistake again ! 

Far too early to say but we are missing players and they are our better ones - unlike Pearson who had very good players in their prime and Rowett who still had decent players - we are in the third division and can’t particularly re-in force our squad with what we need whilst watching opponents running everywhere and ours can’t run 360 degrees - we simply lost far too many very good young players from last January onwards 

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Cheers.

I'd got Cocu in my mind, but wasn't certain!  ?

We did give Cocu a long contract as well didn't we.

Out of Clemente, Pearson and Cocu, all can be viewed as mistakes in hindsight, but there's probably a case for Pearson not being given the time to get the team to be what he wanted it to be, Clement the first real tough patch and Cocu showing up just at the point Mel's house of cards started to fall down.

That's all in the past, under the reign of terror of chairman Mel.

The 4 year contract with Paul Warne is probably an indication that he's going to be allowed to get on with it, bar horrific underperforming. We'll be in no danger of league 2 and probably short of play offs with this squad, but if they get their mentality adjusted it's a solid enough squad for league 1.

If it was poop or bust going up this year, a 4 year contract makes no sense, massive promotion incentives would.

people always assume a 4 year deal means a 4 year payout, the length is only worth what's written in the contract, it could have a 12 month payoff from point of sacking, it could have 6 month one. these sort of things are common, only stupid or desperate football clubs would commit to the full amount as a payoff. 

31 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Ridiculously premature thread.

That said I've never been a fan of giving managers 4 year contracts. I thought it was strange when Cocu was handed one.

So if we wanted to get rid we couldn’t afford it so why is it premature.

I thought Warne was going to be good and he may well be. 

David Clowes decided he wanted to change manager so we have to get behind the manager as Rams Fans 

Just not sure he’s the right man after reassessment but I will be called a turncoat.

I just want to be entertained.

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

If a 4 year contract means we finally stick with something and see it through, allow a manager his poor spells and give him the opportunity to work through them, rather than panicking and dropping the axe at the first sign of trouble then no, it's not a mistake.

(Unless we actually get relegated, but that's not going to happen)

(Please don't screenshot @ or quote me on that in 7 months)

Didn’t Cocu get a 4 year contract ?