January Window

1of4

To be fair this is how the summer window went. LR saying we had a couple of irons in the fire and then come deadline day it was sorta confirmed by local outlets on twitter that we was up against signing anyone. 

In the end we got Osula in. I think history might repeat itself and we’ll get one more in probably on deadline day.

On 22/01/2023 at 15:39, Sparkle said:

Whilst we need another centre forward for emergencies that man Chris Martin is apparently being the subject of a lot of enquiries from league one clubs - if we can’t get anyone else he wouldn’t be a bad one to have in the run in if we lose McGoldrick and Collins - the chances are we are going to see him again even if it’s in a opposition squad 

I think a loan to the end of the season would be ideal… he’s a very similar player to Didzy in many ways and would be ideal cover ..

But City looking to sell him …

14 minutes ago, Topram said:

I think we won’t do anything now, we’ve kept our squad baring Osula  and added Springett that seems to of settled in nicely, if we could get 1 more in would love it to be a striker 

But take 3 key players out of that squad with injuries, say Cashin, Knight and McGoldrick, and we would be in big trouble. Think we need a right back and striker at the very least…

The key thing is a lot of out players are versatile so we can adapt in a short-term injury crisis.
RB - Smith, Rooney, Chester, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Knight
LB - Sibley, Roberts, Springett, Forsyth, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing
CB - Forsyth, Cashin, Davies, Stearman, Chester, Rooney, Roberts
CM - Bird, Hourihane, Tommo, Knight, Sibley, Smith, Rooney
AM - Knight, McGoldrick, Sibley
RW/LW - Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Dobbin, Springett, Knight, Sibley
CF - Collins, McGoldrick, Dobbin, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen

Any signings will have the squad versatility in mind, and the impact on the team as a whole if we're missing a couple of players who can play in a certain position. Therefore, there can only really be a maximum of 2 more signings unless there's an unexpected departure. They are a CF and RB. 
Getting a CF is very important and it would free up McGoldrick's availability to fill in at AM, in the event of Knight being needed elsewhere on the field. A CF who can also play on the wing would be an added bonus, as it would ease the impact of needing to drop a winger into the full back position.
We still don't have a recognised RB, but does it matter? Smith is doing a very good job in that role, but if he's injured it has a big impact on the team as a whole. We'd be forced in to fielding an inexperienced Rooney, hope Chester doesn't get injured (once he's back) or bring one of Knight/Mendez-Laing/Barkhuizen in to that position - a move which weakens our forward options. Getting someone in to be backup to Smith, would be difficult, so it would have to be someone who can also fill in at CB and/or LB.

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The key thing is a lot of out players are versatile so we can adapt in a short-term injury crisis.
RB - Smith, Rooney, Chester, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Knight
LB - Sibley, Roberts, Springett, Forsyth, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing
CB - Forsyth, Cashin, Davies, Stearman, Chester, Rooney, Roberts
CM - Bird, Hourihane, Tommo, Knight, Sibley, Smith, Rooney
AM - Knight, McGoldrick, Sibley
RW/LW - Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Dobbin, Springett, Knight, Sibley
CF - Collins, McGoldrick, Dobbin, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen

Any signings will have the squad versatility in mind, and the impact on the team as a whole if we're missing a couple of players who can play in a certain position. Therefore, there can only really be a maximum of 2 more signings unless there's an unexpected departure. They are a CF and RB. 
Getting a CF is very important and it would free up McGoldrick's availability to fill in at AM, in the event of Knight being needed elsewhere on the field. A CF who can also play on the wing would be an added bonus, as it would ease the impact of needing to drop a winger into the full back position.
We still don't have a recognised RB, but does it matter? Smith is doing a very good job in that role, but if he's injured it has a big impact on the team as a whole. We'd be forced in to fielding an inexperienced Rooney, hope Chester doesn't get injured (once he's back) or bring one of Knight/Mendez-Laing/Barkhuizen in to that position - a move which weakens our forward options. Getting someone in to be backup to Smith, would be difficult, so it would have to be someone who can also fill in at CB and/or LB.

Do you mean NML and Barks as wing backs? Change the formation in that case and 3 at the back. I take your point but would be worried with quite a few of those players playing out of position and out of their comfort zone.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Do you mean NML and Barks as wing backs? Change the formation in that case and 3 at the back. I take your point but would be worried with quite a few of those players playing out of position and out of their comfort zone.

I mean as full backs. If we had our first 4 choice fullbacks injured on either side, I certainly wouldn't be upset with either Barkhuizen or Mendez-Laing start in a back 4.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I mean as full backs. If we had our first 4 choice fullbacks injured on either side, I certainly wouldn't be upset with either Barkhuizen or Mendez-Laing start in a back 4.

I think they might …. not sure either of them are too enamoured with wing back let alone full back.  That said, the characters that they are they’d no doubt give it a go

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not for me. Would also substantially reduce our attacking threat. Just a couple of signings should hopefully prevent any of this ?