Has the Pendulum swung?

Skin em Ted

Thinking back recently to when the Bald Eagle first landed how uninspiring the appointment first seemed, like a rubber stamp on a new era of second tier mediocrity. Initial results that season seemed to confirm those suspicions. 3-0 down to Tranmere at half time I turned the radio off to play on the Sega Mega drive instead. Shortly later my friends Dad who was listening downstairs shouted up that new signing ‘Igor’ had scored. There was an excitement in his voice which betrayed the fact we were getting hammered (eventually losing 5-1). 

Looking back I see Igor’s consolation as an ‘Alamein’ moment… before we only knew defeat, after only victory. We went on a run which culminated in automatic promotion and some great years in the top flight.

Very early I know, but Here’s hoping Collins’ rainy brace in Cambridge is the moment where we’ve passed rock bottom and the only way is up. Could it be that the rainbow over Abbey Stadium represents something symbolic of out fortunes?

Does anyone else have a favourite moment, perhaps insignificant at the time, which pinpoints when the tide turned in the right direction for the Rams story?

6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Pendulum!

Of course!  That's it!
By jove, @Skin em Ted, I think you've cracked it!

If he won't bounce, maybe, just maybe...

Paul Warne, Paul Warne, start the swing.  Paul Warne, start the swing... oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... 

I'm feeling the man love for Warne as much as the next man, but I'm not sure I'd be too keen to view his swnging activities.?

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Personally, Lincoln aside, don't think we were any better than any other away game we've played this season.

Hopefully belief is a big part.

So…we scored 2 away goals, didn’t concede and looked comfortably the better side…unlike in the previous 34 away games under LR.. ?‍♂️

59 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

So…we scored 2 away goals, didn’t concede and looked comfortably the better side…unlike in the previous 34 away games under LR.. ?‍♂️

I mean, wasn't really a criticism, just an observation. 

Think we created more chances at Charlton, Shrewsbury and Fleetwood than we did today.

Thought we started well today but didn't really look like scoring until the mistake from their defender.

Maybe we are just tired if LR was in charge for 34 away matches between August and September...

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think we created more chances at Charlton, Shrewsbury and Fleetwood than we did today.

Thought we started well today but didn't really look like scoring until the mistake from their defender.

Maybe we are just tired if LR was in charge for 34 away matches between August and September...

I'm just hoping he meant 3-4 (3 to 4) not 34 or it's a bit bloody awkward!

Although I do think I may have put forward  an excuse that hadn't previously been thought of.

Edited by Kokosnuss

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I know subtle changes; there is of course the effect of the new manager that any side gets so we mustn't be blind to that; but there were clear difference yesterday:

1. Intensity - we attacked at every opportunity; we didn't have lots of superfluous possession.

2. We pressed with menace - it got us goal #1 all down to Collins who had his best game for us by a country mile

3. We carried on playing that way when we went ahead and didn't try and retreat to keep the goal lead.

4. We scored a 2nd and Max Bird assisted from a position he wouldn't have been in under LR - in an advanced midfield role.

5. We didn't concede and apart from Curtis's mistake that was blocked by Cashin, I don't recall CUFC having a sniff at our goal.

It was a small pitch and the ball had a bounce/bobble, both of which favoured CUFC. Imagine playing that style at PP....if we can physically keep that level of intensity up (some will struggle - McGoldrick at 34), victories will come.  

From what I could hear (with all the RD commentary caveats) the difference was meaningful possession. We've had plenty of possession in other games, but played side-to-side or spent our time slowly moving out from the back. Yesterday it felt we had the ball and used it, going forward, attacking the opposition goal  and getting into dangerous positions. In the past we've had chances, but yesterday it felt we were more likely to score because of the step up in pressure.

I like Liam as a manager, but I think his tactics were a little too focussed on holding the ball waiting for the moment, rather than making it happen - his time will come, but not with us when we need promotion.

In this league you can't afford to wait for the moment, you end up dropping two or even three points when the opposition let you keep the ball and pack their defence. The result is you end up mid-table even with a good team.

21 hours ago, hydraulic ram said:

From what I could hear (with all the RD commentary caveats) the difference was meaningful possession. We've had plenty of possession in other games, but played side-to-side or spent our time slowly moving out from the back. Yesterday it felt we had the ball and used it, going forward, attacking the opposition goal  and getting into dangerous positions. In the past we've had chances, but yesterday it felt we were more likely to score because of the step up in pressure.

I like Liam as a manager, but I think his tactics were a little too focussed on holding the ball waiting for the moment, rather than making it happen - his time will come, but not with us when we need promotion.

In this league you can't afford to wait for the moment, you end up dropping two or even three points when the opposition let you keep the ball and pack their defence. The result is you end up mid-table even with a good team.

Here are the stats from our away league games this season:-

Charlton - Possession 60%, shots 15, shots on target 2

Shrewsbury - Possession 74%, shots 13, shots on target 3

Fleetwood - Possession 61%, shots 27, shots on target 9

Lincoln - Possession 67%, shots 10, shots on target 5

Cambridge - Possession 57%, shots 13, shots on target 3

So lowest possession, second lowest shots, second lowest shots on target

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But he didn’t play Knight RB or Dobbin on the wing .

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Shows it's not about possession stats, it's about how you play! Loads of players in the box and lots of forward passes.