1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Here are the stats from our away league games this season:-

Charlton - Possession 60%, shots 15, shots on target 2

Shrewsbury - Possession 74%, shots 13, shots on target 3

Fleetwood - Possession 61%, shots 27, shots on target 9

Lincoln - Possession 67%, shots 10, shots on target 5

Cambridge - Possession 57%, shots 13, shots on target 3

So lowest possession, second lowest shots, second lowest shots on target

If you could quantify luck, Cambridge away would be massively the biggest of the season. 

On the flip side, you make your own luck, they say.

I enjoyed winning. On to the next one, but I'm not getting carried away yet.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just the one game then?

I could have mentioned Hull and Stoke from last season also, or Birmingham, Millwall and QPR from 20/21, but I don't think you can pin any results from the last two seasons solely on Rosenior, unless the style was entirely at his insistence and Rooney was merely a "front"? 

59 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

If you could quantify luck, Cambridge away would be massively the biggest of the season. 

On the flip side, you make your own luck, they say.

I enjoyed winning. On to the next one, but I'm not getting carried away yet.

They’ve got to find you before they can carry you away! ?

32 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

In terms of outcome yes - for once,  but the style v CUFC - that was quite different wasn't it? 

I didn't see either game tbh, other than the highlights, but others on here who go to most away games have said it was, yes. I've also heard it said though that Rosenior had told the players repeatedly not to play out from the back when the opposition was pressing high. I get the impression that Warne perhaps puts the message across more forcibly in language that footballers understand. Liam was possibly being too polite - Sargeant Wilson to Warne's Sargeant Fury? 

7 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I didn't see either game tbh, other than the highlights, but others on here who go to most away games have said it was, yes. I've also heard it said though that Rosenior had told the players repeatedly not to play out from the back when the opposition was pressing high. I get the impression that Warne perhaps puts the message across more forcibly in language that footballers understand. Liam was possibly being too polite - Sargeant Wilson to Warne's Sargeant Fury? 

I say, wouldn't you mind awfully not playing out when under a high press please, if I may be so bold.

48 minutes ago, Crewton said:

40 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

I say, wouldn't you mind awfully not playing out when under a high press please, if I may be so bold.

...or is it about credibility? 

22 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

...or is it about credibility? 

I certainly wouldn't rule that out. Some of them would rather blame the manager than themselves. I can see how easily the "he's just a pundit" image could take hold when they're getting pelters from the fans. Or am I being harsh?

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Shows it's not about possession stats, it's about how you play! Loads of players in the box and lots of forward passes.

Would you not expect this to equate to more shots on goal as well then?

There certainly was less of the tippy tappy at the back on Saturday but for me it was our second worst away performance of the season, ahead of Lincoln where we actually had more shots on target. 

Certainly not complaining though, goals and results are what football is all about.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Would you not expect this to equate to more shots on goal as well then?

There certainly was less of the tippy tappy at the back on Saturday but for me it was our second worst away performance of the season, ahead of Lincoln where we actually had more shots on target. 

Certainly not complaining though, goals and results are what football is all about.

I think we looked like we were learning the new system. I'm not sure that I like 3 - 5 - 2 tbh and that was new also. I think the stats are just a vague help and of most interest might be their similarity even though the systems played weren't similar.

I'm hoping we get a RB for Christmas! ?

1 game means little, and as others have said there are away games this season where we were unlucky not to score and win. 

I do think though that the change in style was palpable. Playing out from the back works … if you own the midfield. In recent times despite having very able players, we never have owned it. We did penetrate down the flanks but we weren’t taking the ball from the defence through a commanding and dangerous midfield. When our flanking advances made ground we never had enough presence in the box. The pedestrian from the back build up allowed an opponent to shape up so we were always waiting for a mistake to be made rather than forcing mistakes. Saturday wasn’t neat and pretty but it was faster and so much more positive.

Cambs had a break on Saturday, I forget which defender Ironsides got the better of but Cashin snubbed it out with a fine tackle, took the ball. Instead of playing safe, back to Wildsmith he played an angled ball 20/25 yards forward and found a Ram’s shirt .. it spoke volumes.

Time will tell but we need to use the middle and the flanks to approach the box not one or the other. On Saturday we did and it worked. While a deep pair of  Hourihan and Bird along with a yawning gap between them and Collins just didn’t.