Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

Just now, Loughborough Ram said:

I like the way that if the ball is transferred between Cashin, Davies and Chester or the other way around, the next ball is a forward pass to a wing who looks forward rather than back to a centre half. 

Yes, or back to the keeper which is intercepted by the forward leading to a goal against

17 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Are the supporters decrying the style of play, the same supporters tearing their hair out when the goalkeeper or defenders gave a goal away trying to play out from the back? 

The style of play wasn't responsible for us losing last night, it was down to the terrible choices of our players in the final third of the pitch, and of course a single mistake from Curtis Davies, who I think incidentally will be out for a while with the injury he picked up. The poor crosses, misplaced passes and inability to beat a player when we the chance to create a goalscoring opportunity were countless last night and that isn't down to style or formations.

Paul Warne may prove to be great or terrible but we aren't the government or Watford, give him enough time for a fair judgement to be made, because a groundswell of negativity this early will definitely not help.

We could easily have had 60% of the ball last night not created anything and conceded the same goal. We’ve seen it this season. Last night wasn’t down to playing style or tactics. 

I was upset when we got rid of Liam, he could’ve built something exciting given time but we’ve got to give Warne time. I’d prefer winning and playing good football but that’s subjective as to what good football is, ultimately I just want us to win matches and be competitive. McClaren was best football since Smith but ultimately we were left disappointed, some slated Rowett but we scored loads of goals under him, I only fell out with him when we were utterly dismantled by Fulham in the second leg, and then obviously ditching us for Stoke.

People look on managers like Dyche with snobbery but if Warne could replicate that here then who isn’t going to take that? It would be better than playing the best football in the league and the best at Derby since the 90s and losing 1-0 to Zamora in the 90th minute.

Needs patience and time, we might need 2 seasons down here, and it would be the same if Liam was still in charge.

14 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We could easily have had 60% of the ball last night not created anything and conceded the same goal. We’ve seen it this season. Last night wasn’t down to playing style or tactics. 

I was upset when we got rid of Liam, he could’ve built something exciting given time but we’ve got to give Warne time. I’d prefer winning and playing good football but that’s subjective as to what good football is, ultimately I just want us to win matches and be competitive. McClaren was best football since Smith but ultimately we were left disappointed, some slated Rowett but we scored loads of goals under him, I only fell out with him when we were utterly dismantled by Fulham in the second leg, and then obviously ditching us for Stoke.

People look on managers like Dyche with snobbery but if Warne could replicate that here then who isn’t going to take that? It would be better than playing the best football in the league and the best at Derby since the 90s and losing 1-0 to Zamora in the 90th minute.

Needs patience and time, we might need 2 seasons down here, and it would be the same if Liam was still in charge.

In some ways Billy Davies is a better analogy with Warne. We ground out results without playing great football. For me I much preferred our football under Cox, Smith, Burley and Steve Mac. I like to be entertained ?

12 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Why sorry?  It’s you’re opinion and you’re one of the most reasoned posters on here.  I can see where you’re coming from.  Myself, I’m a bit torn.  I think LR needed to learn and develop, mainly about being a Nr 1, man-management and the league.  We did look good and pass it well,  it sometimes too slow and over played.  I think PW also needs to learn about the players strengths and capabilities and whether or not they can adapt to what he wants them to do.

PW clearly wants a lot of energy, high press and move the ball quickly.  We have a squad of young players - energy but lacking know- how and older pro’s - know-how but probably not for enough.  PW has alluded to this but if he had a few 23-30 year olds I think we’d be in a better position.  And it’s no-ones fault we don’t have players in that age group.  We’re limited to free transfers and loans and that means your looking at players at the opposite ends of their careers.

I think it will work out for him and this year is about getting everything in place.

spot on mate

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I feel a bit like "we've made our bed, gonna have to lie in it this time" with Paul Warne.

Given time we'll get good at being a paul warne team. Just might take too long for this season, in which case we might as well have given Liam Rosenoir the time.

Except Warne knows what he's doing.

If you think the slow turgid passing under Rosenior was going to get any better you're living in a dream land.

Edited by RoyMac5

listened to Warneys after match comments this morning , this guy knows what hes doing , what he needs and how hes going to put it together , at the moment i think hes only got half of the tools to do the job therefore lets give him and the club a break , by all means lets strive for the play offs this season but its not the be all and end all for me , next season we will start seeing a Paul Warne team take shape, keep the faith COYR

So under LR we couldn’t really field a “proper” back 4 as we didn’t have a RB. 

We also can’t play 3 at the back play as we don’t have out and out wingbacks.

Doesn't leave us a huge amount of options, does it?

I think our fanbase have to accept that this is a season of make do and mend, whilst hoping we get into the top 6 if possible.

Doesnt matter if it’s LR or PW, we have a decent amount of talent in the starting 11, but after that a very threadbare squad. And either manager would have/will struggle.

For the record I would have happily kept LR although he needed to adapt his style to the surroundings we find ourselves in.

Likewise I’m happy to keep PW although he’s going to have to adapt his style to the surroundings he finds himself in.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who instead?

Wildsmith 

Odura .        Stearman    Cashin.       Roberts 

MDL.     Bird.         Smith.   Hourahane

Sibley 

Osula 

Assuming Knight and Davies out injured and Collins suspended 

42 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Wildsmith 

Odura .        Stearman    Cashin.       Roberts 

MDL.     Bird.         Smith.   Hourahane

Sibley 

Osula 

Assuming Knight and Davies out injured and Collins suspended 

Bird and Conor together?

In hindsight, if the plan was always to appoint Warne, wouldn’t it have made more sense to replace LR in mid December. That would have given him 2-3 weeks to judge the squad and then be in a position immediately to bring in the 3 or 4 players he needs to suit his style of play in January when the transfer window opens ?

21 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

In some ways Billy Davies is a better analogy with Warne. We ground out results without playing great football. For me I much preferred our football under Cox, Smith, Burley and Steve Mac. I like to be entertained ?

Exciting games are what entertain me , with exciting games we win being the ultimate , I’ve watched enough football over the years to know that both Liam s style and warne s predicted style can either be exciting or boring as hell , depends how good you are at it and how the other team involved  play , long aimless balls that are cut out and head tennis in the middle of the park can be frustrating and boring as duck as can tippy tapping it round the back slow as hell going nowhere all game, it matters not which way we choose to me , just get bloody good at it??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

19 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

In hindsight, if the plan was always to appoint Warne, wouldn’t it have made more sense to replace LR in mid December. That would have given him 2-3 weeks to judge the squad and then be in a position immediately to bring in the 3 or 4 players he needs to suit his style of play in January when the transfer window opens ?

If you believe the media reports then there were other clubs in for Warne at the same time as us.

So appreciate your sentiments but often we don't live in an ideal world hence why he was brought in when he was.  

40 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If you believe the media reports then there were other clubs in for Warne at the same time as us.

That's definitely true Tyler, on the match build up on sky they did an interview piece with Warne at Moor Farm and he was talking about his meeting with the chairman where he said "I think this is goodbye Mr Chairman" and the Chairman asked "where are you going?". I'm guessing he also had offers from Cardiff and/or Huddersfield as those jobs were available at the time.

23 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I don't remember Arthur Cox's team as being very possession based. He had Gee and Davison up front early on, so we were fairly direct playing them in behind. Later we had Saunders and Goddard (my all time favourite pairing, and I saw plenty of the King and O'Hare together), who were both quite quick (Saunders was lightning quick) but with guile added by Goddard. With both teams we hit very quick on the break. If you've got the players to play your chosen style then it's nearly always good and exciting to watch.