Lincoln v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Hummm. I hope Sibley is down the middle. I feel without his drive there (or McGoldricks trickery) then Collins lacks close quarters service. But with Barks on the bench that looks like Sibley in a wider position. 

Not my favourite set up but Liam knows his men better than me and will have done his homework. COYR

5 minutes ago, jono said:

Hummm. I hope Sibley is down the middle. I feel without his drive there (or McGoldricks trickery) then Collins lacks close quarters service. But with Barks on the bench that looks like Sibley in a wider position. 

Not my favourite set up but Liam knows his men better than me and will have done his homework. COYR

Dobbin wide left, NML wide right, Sibley through the middle is how I see it. Maybe Dobbin and Sibley swapped, whoever is through the middle needs to push on as I agree with your point, Collins gets isolated and will need players close to him. 

16 minutes ago, Lac291884 said:

Surprised McGoldrick's gone to the bench, happy Sibley is getting a start though.

He is hugely able and influential. I have a sense that he is going to be used sparingly for impact - and he definitely makes one - is there going to be a pattern ? starting home games and finishing away games ? 

I also wonder if there is some injury history that we don’t know about and he is deliberately not being pushed ? 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

He is hugely able and influential. I have a sense that he is going to be used sparingly for impact - and he definitely makes one - is there going to be a pattern ? starting home games and finishing away games ? 

I also wonder if there is some injury history that we don’t know about and he is deliberately not being pushed ? 

Or could be a case of they are wary of his fitness levels following an injury and missing almost all the preseason. 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Dobbin wide left, NML wide right, Sibley through the middle is how I see it. Maybe Dobbin and Sibley swapped, whoever is through the middle needs to push on as I agree with your point, Collins gets isolated and will need players close to him. 

Cheers for that, it’s what I’d like to see. Sibbo isn’t a magician and I am not a “Sibley must play man” but he is absolutely at his cavalier best in a central position behind the striker. He can go alone or feed his partner. He’s dangerous and needs to be in the most chaos creating position pulling CB’s around making them panic. “Do I drop back or do I get close to “Blondie” 

21 minutes ago, jono said:

13 minutes ago, jono said:

Phnah! Phnah! Yoiks etc Finbarr!

7 minutes ago, jono said:

Although he wasn't quite as effective in the Plymouth game, McGoldrick was very impressive in the cup game against West Brom. I was pleasantly surprised by his quick movement and good change of pace for a player at the later stages of his career. 

Like you said he may prefer McGoldrick to just finish away games, or he might still be managing his fitness.

Bird and Hourihane got overrun in the midfield against Plymouth as they are both not the most mobile players, prefer the ball at their feet and to dish it out. So, Sibley could be a player to bring more balance in the midfield when we are out of possession.  

The team selection looks better balanced to me giving us some good experience to bring on if and when needed 

Forsyth and Barkhauzen unlucky not to start but we need to be more balanced but the Bird / hourihane combination has been very sedentary previously especially in the second half of matches.