Freedom of Speech

Day

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I don't think people know what they mean by freedom of speech. 

To be fair, it's a USA thing really. And it's a constitutional promise that the government will not limit your right to say what you want. 

The UK has no such thing, but people seem to be expecting much more anyway. 

It seems most people who complain about others being cancelled, citing their freedom of speech, are really complaining that someone said something they broadly agree with, but later that person found some people took exception to what they said. 

If Rawling upsets trans activists, if Bernard Manning jokes offend, if Piers Moron criticises a royal - they weren't compelled by the state to say or not say something. 

You have no right to use someone's platform if they don't want you to. But you can go out into the street and voice your opinions. It doesn't stop you having to answer for your views though. 

I'm looking forward to former royalists moaning about the king's opinions on climate change, fracking, Rwanda deportations etc. He might not be a silent as his mum. Just free speech init.

52 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

According to Nation.Cymru, nobody was arrested in Cardiff as the photo may seem to imply. There was only one person arrested and that was for breach of the peace. She was holding up a banner with “fxxx imperialism. Abolish monarchy” written on it. The offensive word probably didn’t help her case and I strongly suspect that whilst she was arrested she will be released without charge.

I guess whilst the individual has to right to her views the offensive language, combined with the context in which it was displayed, constituted a breach of the peace.

I missed out two words. It seems the arrest was made “in Edinburgh”

45 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't think people know what they mean by freedom of speech. 

To be fair, it's a USA thing really. And it's a constitutional promise that the government will not limit your right to say what you want. 

The UK has no such thing, but people seem to be expecting much more anyway. 

It seems most people who complain about others being cancelled, citing their freedom of speech, are really complaining that someone said something they broadly agree with, but later that person found some people took exception to what they said. 

If Rawling upsets trans activists, if Bernard Manning jokes offend, if Piers Moron criticises a royal - they weren't compelled by the state to say or not say something. 

You have no right to use someone's platform if they don't want you to. But you can go out into the street and voice your opinions. It doesn't stop you having to answer for your views though. 

We have had the right to freedom of expression by  EU Directive, until you know what. Also protection for whistleblowers still exists in UK law. And those protections mean(t) that you should not be subjected to any detriment ( ie nothing bad should happen to you) because of what you have said. But as you say GBoro much more limited protection than under US law.  

7 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

We have had the right to freedom of expression by  EU Directive, until you know what. 

"Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers"

Like I said, you're allowed your views, but the government won't get involved to stop it. 

And whistleblowing is a protected characteristic, I believe. 

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm looking forward to former royalists moaning about the king's opinions on climate change, fracking, Rwanda deportations etc. He might not be a silent as his mum. Just free speech init.

I doubt he'll have that much freedom, All his speeches will be scripted, All his personnel speeches will be vetted and so heavily redacted all that will be left is..."a Merry Xmas to you all", If he needs to copulate with another female, He'll ask the plants in his greenhouse 1st, Who'll tell him to do it in a building that's a carbuncle on society. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

So someone is arrested for calling a pedo a pedo, but nobody actually arrested the pedo? 

Didn’t see them get arrested, saw them get some car park disciplining and I’m all for it.
is that what was said, I couldn’t hear from the video,  Your assumption I guess? Glad at a moment of mourning a prat shouting obscenities got a smack in the mouth 

Edited by TexasRam

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is Prince Andrew a convicted paedophile?

No he's not.

He probably should be though. He visited Jeffrey Epstein's apartment in New York two years after Epstein had been convicted of child sex offences. Bear in mind he'd been a guest of Epstein and Maxwell before Epstein's conviction. Add the fact that he paid £12m instead of facing his accuser in an American court, I would say it's fair to assume he's a nonce.

He should count himself very lucky not to be in prison and should be kept out of the public eye completely before he brings the whole monarchy down.

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

before he brings the whole monarchy down.

The monarchy that seemed to fully support him, right up until the dodgy technicality he was trying to use to get off failed him.

He should have been got rid of after that disgraceful lie fest on Newsnight.

Not implying that Charles did anything dodgy with Jimmy Savile, but it's proper weird that 2 of the queen's sons were each big mates with probably the most notorious child abuser on either side of the Atlantic.

27 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

No he's not.

He probably should be though. He visited Jeffrey Epstein's apartment in New York two years after Epstein had been convicted of child sex offences. Bear in mind he'd been a guest of Epstein and Maxwell before Epstein's conviction. Add the fact that he paid £12m instead of facing his accuser in an American court, I would say it's fair to assume he's a nonce.

He should count himself very lucky not to be in prison and should be kept out of the public eye completely before he brings the whole monarchy down.

I don't disagree with you, but let's not pretend Andrew is special in regards to the disgraceful Epstein situation. How can two people be convicted for sex trafficking over multiple decades and not a single punter gets nicked. I was already pretty jaded, but that about did it for me. Those with money and influence are above the law and they use our tax money to have alphabet agencies scurry around cleaning up their mess. f*** the lot of them.

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

And then this guy had the police trying to feel his collar for holding a blank placard. How did we arrive in a place where the police can threaten to arrest you just in case you might write some words that might offend someone?

I think the burning question here is why is the copper wearing a girl's jacket and was it not available in 'plus' size?