Freedom of Speech

Day

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

@GboroRamyou may well think my post was worth a laughing emoji but all you did was prove that what I said was right.

Some people happy to shout about freedom of speech but don't wish for it to extend to people who disagree with them.

If someone shouts the same thing to you, when you're out shopping with your family , presume that's ok? Or while you're attending your mother's funeral. Still ok? 

I've actually no idea where the line is, when it comes to freedom of speech.

1 minute ago, ketteringram said:

If someone shouts the same thing to you, when you're out shopping with your family , presume that's ok? Or while you're attending your mother's funeral. Still ok? 

I've actually no idea where the line is, when it comes to freedom of speech.

Well no, because I'm also not a convicted paedophile?

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Neither was that nonce Andrew, May I suggest you change your post to...never practised in or convicted of being a paedophile, You've a few minutes left before "you're ooot"

2 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Neither was that nonce Andrew, May I suggest you change your post to...never practised in or convicted of being a paedophile, You've a few minutes left before "you're ooot"

Thing is, such accusations would be slanderous.

Back to the point that freedom of speech can still have consequences. 

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thing is, such accusations would be slanderous.

Back to the point that freedom of speech can still have consequences. 

As I have said, Musk calling a random rescuer a paedo crossed any line for freedom of speech , yet bizarrely was not deemed to be libellous in the US Court. Calling someone a paedo just because you suspect them is  also not on, (ask Cliff Richard) but there is at least evidence that Andrew might be one (according to some US State definition of a minor) , and he certainly behaved very badly in consorting with a convicted paedo,  though as you say Andrew himself  was not convicted or even charged. 

11 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

I hope we can all agree this is wrong.

I think it’s great news the general public are fed up of having our lives and events disrupted by activists wanted their 2 minutes of fame.

If we don’t make a stand it will only get worse then every event will be disrupted.

Look at what the vegan activists did spraying paint everywhere at the House of Commons.

If they want  to demonstrate organise a march, want to rant go on Twitter.

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So presumably if you were, it would be ok. It's a bit of a minefield. If it's ok as long as what I'm shouting is true. I can shout at people who are fat, thin, bald, whatever. I'd expect to get knocked out if I started doing that anywhere, never mind at something like a wedding, or a funeral march. 

19 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Advocating physical violence against people saying words they don't like. Nice

Yep, that’s life, take the consequences of your actions. Some of those consequences won’t be nice, might make people think about what they say. 

26 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

So presumably if you were, it would be ok. It's a bit of a minefield. If it's ok as long as what I'm shouting is true. I can shout at people who are fat, thin, bald, whatever. I'd expect to get knocked out if I started doing that anywhere, never mind at something like a wedding, or a funeral march. 

Once again there are consequences 

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Yep, that’s life, take the consequences of your actions. Some of those consequences won’t be nice, might make people think about what they say. 

Were you OK with this, or is "a smack in the mouth" your preferred way of dealing with people who say words you don't like?

image.png.25527753c187c3430c8e2614eea1ca1b.png

6 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Were you OK with this, or is "a smack in the mouth" your preferred way of dealing with people who say words you don't like?

image.png.25527753c187c3430c8e2614eea1ca1b.png

Either, or.  I’m ok with this also, aren’t you?

you think I like Farage? Bit like me saying you seem to say a lot to say about Prince Andrew’s accusations but very little about the grooming gangs in the north on England. 

Edited by TexasRam

52 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Advocating physical violence against people saying words they don't like. Nice

Free speech does not mean that people can aggressively hurl abuse at a passing funeral cortege when there are thousands of mourners present. I don't know what that idiot was saying but it isn't what he said but the way he went about it... likely to breach the peace , and in fact it did breach the peace by the looks of it. 

I might have legitimate health and safety concerns about some of my employers practices. But if i went into my bosses offices and shouted foul abuse at him then I could expect to be sacked for my behaviour... not for raising my concerns but for the way I went about it.       

13 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I haven't said anything about Prince Andrew, I'm just talking about free speech and it's repercussions

Sorry your correct the pedo comment was not you it was someone else 

Is it not possible the Prince Andrew has to take stuff on the chin through the position he put himself in AND the person who saw fit to shout at him when his family is publicly mourning the loss of a Queen/Mum/grandma/great grandma is a dick? 

Not being a dick to people is quite easy. By shouting abuse at Andrew that has an effect on a number of people in that situation. Feck Andrew. But not the time or place is it?

Just like gluing yourself to a motorway isn't a good idea. 

Some people seem to think if they cause is good then anything they do to further it can't possibly be bad. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

@GboroRamyou may well think my post was worth a laughing emoji but all you did was prove that what I said was right.

Some people happy to shout about freedom of speech but don't wish for it to extend to people who disagree with them.

I've never said anything about being happy to shout freedom of speech. If you read up, I was saying that there's not actually anything of the kind. And my "I was just expressing my freedom of speech" comment was very tongue in cheek, surely you can see that. That seems to be what some people are arguing for - my right to say what I want. Your comment is cancelling me! Snowflake! Cancel Culture!!

I'm the one who was castigated for saying I don't want the police to ban actual fascists. I want people to organise and bash their heads in.

I don't want to live in a country where what's acceptable and what's not is decided by politicians. 

I want freedom of speech to mean that no public authority, no government, no police force will stop you from saying what you have to say. I can see how that gets difficult with protected characteristics - and I don't know how that sits with me when it comes to saying something racist, mysogenistic, antisemitic and the like - but I don't believe you have the right to say these things online, on TV, in the news, in a theatre venue, in a comedy club, in a newspaper, on a chat show etc. 

Freedom of speech seems to mean a freedom to say what you want where you want to some people. And then they complain about being "cancelled", which just means the medium of passing that message decided they don't like you saying it, and took away your right to use it.

14 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I've never said anything about being happy to shout freedom of speech. If you read up, I was saying that there's not actually anything of the kind. And my "I was just expressing my freedom of speech" comment was very tongue in cheek, surely you can see that. That seems to be what some people are arguing for - my right to say what I want. Your comment is cancelling me! Snowflake! Cancel Culture!!

I'm the one who was castigated for saying I don't want the police to ban actual fascists. I want people to organise and bash their heads in.

I don't want to live in a country where what's acceptable and what's not is decided by politicians. 

I want freedom of speech to mean that no public authority, no government, no police force will stop you from saying what you have to say. I can see how that gets difficult with protected characteristics - and I don't know how that sits with me when it comes to saying something racist, mysogenistic, antisemitic and the like - but I don't believe you have the right to say these things online, on TV, in the news, in a theatre venue, in a comedy club, in a newspaper, on a chat show etc. 

Freedom of speech seems to mean a freedom to say what you want where you want to some people. And then they complain about being "cancelled", which just means the medium of passing that message decided they don't like you saying it, and took away your right to use it.

It matters not what people say, It matters to some what's said, It's like someone with a placard with nothing written on it and someone feels the need to be policing it...oh hang on?