Morecambe v Derby (A) Matchday thread

Bwash_Ram

17 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I wouldn’t mind it being cancelled if I truly believed it was out of respect and not out of fear of being seen as disrespectful. 

Exactly this. Almost surprising that football authorities were given the option, but apart from anything else there'd surely be an element among fans who would not respect a minutes silence, and for a death considered as significant as hers that is probably something they would like to avoid. (There was plenty of outcry about Liverpool fans not respecting the National Anthem... not everyone loved the Queen or what she represented)

On a practical level, a massive inconvenience for anyone who'd bought tickets and made plans around the match. One wonders just how late they would have been willing to call it off, and if they were going to make the same decision without being compelled by the government, why didn't they just make it last night?

It's an absolute nonsense that sports has to take a weekend off.

The nation is simply not in some sort of collective chasm of grief despite what the media are presenting. A vast majority of people simply want to crack on.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

3 hours ago, sage said:

The Anglo Saxon King, whose lineage was replaced by Normans

They French then Dutch then German. Danny Dyer is as Royal 

Two direct routes...
Alfred the Great > Ælfthryth > Arnulf I > Baldwin III > Arnulf II > Baldwin IV > Baldwin V > Matlilda of Flanders (William the Conqueror's Wife) > Henry I >
Alfred the Great > Edward the Elder > Edmund I > Edgar I > Æthelred > Edmund II > Edward the Exile > Saint Margaret > Matilda of Scotland >

Both leading to...
Empress Matilda > Henry II > John > Henry III > Edward I > Edward II > Edward III > John of Gaunt > John Bauefort > John Beauforth (II) > Margaret Beaufort > Henry VII > Margaret Tudor > Margaret Douglas > Henry Stuart > James I > Elizabeth Stuart > Sophia of Hanover > George I > George II > Frederick, Prince of Wales > George III > Prince Edward > Victoria > Edward VII > George V > George VI > Elizabeth II

Is this as much to do with Police resources as much as anything else? Might be wrong... the funeral is going to be a massive event, maybe the emergency services are being pulled away from sports events to plan for it? No doubt a lot of squaddies will be having leave cancelled.

Edited by Skin em Ted

Gutted it's off as I've been looking forward to this day out for weeks. Fortunately I've managed to get a refund, less a tenner, on our pre-booked train tickets. I'm still none the wiser as to how it's respectful for people to be at work/school/etc on Friday and Monday, but not respectful for them to attend sporting events over the weekend?

22 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

What a stitch-up.

Rick Parry obviously scared to lose his knighthood for the sake of thousands of working folk losing their hotel deposits. 

It’s this exactly and not just him, brownie points towards your gong. National anthem followed by a minute’s silence would have been a much better tribute.

I'm fairly apathetic in terms of Royal family but get the impression the Queen was probably a fairly decent person.

The question the EFL (and others) should have asked themselves is "Do we think the Queen would have wanted millions of people to have their enjoyment stripped away from them and lots of people lose a load of money after her death?"........and I think the answer would have been a resounding 'NO'

Watch the kids' leagues follow suit. 

I am not going to argue with any of the remarks here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However having served for 35 years in her majesties military (and worked bloody hard in some pretty sh!tty places) even if I retire at 67 I will not have worked as much as she has REIGNED. She has reigned for 70 years - let that sink in (much more than most will ever work) 

The difference is, she NEVER had a day off. Imagine having to get up on a cold winters morning, having to put on your make up, get dressed immaculately and do your duty, instead of turning over and saying 'stuff it I am staying in bed'.

I personally think that missing one game in 70 years as a mark of respect is little price to pay. After all that game will still be played, she will never return.

5 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I am not going to argue with any of the remarks here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However having served for 35 years in her majesties military (and worked bloody hard in some pretty sh!tty places) even if I retire at 67 I will not have worked as much as she has REIGNED. She has reigned for 70 years - let that sink in (much more than most will ever work) 

The difference is, she NEVER had a day off. Imagine having to get up on a cold winters morning, having to put on your make up, get dressed immaculately and do your duty, instead of turning over and saying 'stuff it I am staying in bed'.

I personally think that missing one game in 70 years as a mark of respect is little price to pay. After all that game will still be played, she will never return.

Sorry, I probably shouldn't bite, and I respect your service, but... how cold do you imagine it was in her pad on a winter morning?!

Just now, jameso said:

Sorry, I probably shouldn't bite, and I respect your service, but... how cold do you imagine it was in her pad on a winter morning?!

How is that relevant? My point was she never had a day off and would most probably have to work outside not just work from home. She didn't have the luxury of turning off the alarm clock and going back to sleep

4 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Tell me how not having a game on is the only way to show respect?

If the game does get postponed, I'll only end up doing a bit of DIY or maybe go on a walk with my boys. I imagine others will just pop into the pub for a few hours instead. Is that showing respect?

On the other hand, you could have hundreds of thousands of people up and down the country participating in a minutes silence, followed by several minutes of applause and a rendition of God Save the Queen.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Tell me how not having a game on is the only way to show respect?

If the game does get postponed, I'll only end up doing a bit of DIY or maybe go on a walk with my boys. I imagine others will just pop into the pub for a few hours instead. Is that showing respect?

On the other hand, you could have hundreds of thousands of people up and down the country participating in a minutes silence, followed by several minutes of applause and a rendition of God Save the Queen.

Like I said AGAIN. I am not arguing with any one I am merely pointing out it is a little price to pay. 

Life will go on as will the game, just not this weekend

Edited by BathRam72

2 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

How is that relevant? My point was she never had a day off and would most probably have to work outside not just work from home. She didn't have the luxury of turning off the alarm clock and going back to sleep

I think we possibly have very different ideas of what HRH's daily duties consisted of, how full her diary was, and how high she could afford to turn up her thermostat, but I don't feel sufficiently passionate about any of the above to risk causing offence

3 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Like I said AGAIN. I am not arguing with any one I am merely pointing out it is a little price to pay. 

Life will go on as will the game, just not this weekend

Like I ask AGAIN. How is missing a game of football a sign of respect?

What am I allowed to do tomorrow? Can I go to the shop, go for a walk, participate in another of my hobbies, go to the pub, the cinema?

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

What am I allowed to do tomorrow? Can I go to the shop, go for a walk, participate in another of my hobbies, go to the pub, the cinema?

Do what you want. I don't really care.

If you feel going to the pub is a mark of respect that is fine with me. I am not here to tell you otherwise. The whole point of my post was saying cancelled games are little price to pay. I am not saying how you spend your day. Totally up to you.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You can pop along to Derby Pride.....