Time wasting in football

Phoenix

• 1 month later...

Glad to see this and will be very interesting to see if it makes any difference in practice and referees enforce the rule changes. If so, this could be to our advantage this season as time wasting is used against the 'better' teams if the opposition can't win or draw by actually playing football.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/07/match-officials-to-adopt-new-approach-for-202324-season

59 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

Glad to see this and will be very interesting to see if it makes any difference in practice and referees enforce the rule changes. If so, this could be to our advantage this season as time wasting is used against the 'better' teams if the opposition can't win or draw by actually playing football.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/07/match-officials-to-adopt-new-approach-for-202324-season

It will be interesting to see how much gets added on and if it will cut out time wasting because that’s what is required.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing yellow cards for those that hang around tippy-tapping the dead ball to prevent the oppo from taking a quick free kick!

One thing I will predict though... given the adoption of the multi-ball system... more spats twixt away players and deliberately slow "Ball Retrieval Operatives", or whatever it is they call Ball-Boys nowadays.

On the subject of on-pitch treatment, I see little improvement here.  They won't need to go off for the treatment if "A severe injury has occurred".  The ref will be no more qualified to assess the severity of the "injury" next season, than they were last season, so the player will still writhe around on the pitch as if they have been shot at point blank range, the physio will still come on, and the play will still be delayed!

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

Just what we need, 20 minutes of added time when driving back from an evening kickoff away match in February.😂

10 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

The time lost that really boils my p*ss is immediately after a goal is scored until play actually resume.

Does this mean that those who leave early will up and go after 95 minutes or still at 85 minutes?

I will consider it 

16 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing yellow cards for those that hang around tippy-tapping the dead ball to prevent the oppo from taking a quick free kick!

One thing I will predict though... given the adoption of the multi-ball system... more spats twixt away players and deliberately slow "Ball Retrieval Operatives", or whatever it is they call Ball-Boys nowadays.

On the subject of on-pitch treatment, I see little improvement here.  They won't need to go off for the treatment if "A severe injury has occurred".  The ref will be no more qualified to assess the severity of the "injury" next season, than they were last season, so the player will still writhe around on the pitch as if they have been shot at point blank range, the physio will still come on, and the play will still be delayed!

Yes, I saw that and at first thought “at last !” Then you realise that the same players will do the same things ! Still, it is an effort and recognition of a problem and will give us something to vent over 🤣

I do like the red v yellow clarification for offences in the box. Yellow if you went for it but got it wrong. And Red if you’re a cheat (as in pushing shoving and shirt pulling. ) … but then what happens if you dive in and grab a shirt as you fall over .? . oh lots of fun and verbals for refs there ! 

17 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Let’s face it a severe head injury should result in the player going off for a head injury assessment (with a temporary replacement)

football is so far behind other sports with this it’s untrue. The number of times a player goes for a header and is “challenged” by a player who just knocks him out of the sky without even looking at the ball. It’s luck there hasn’t been a serious injury from what would be a red card in rugby.

All players and human beings do “stuff” in the heat of the moment. It can be instinctive reaction or red mist. All 100% understandable and well covered by the rules of the game. They are part of the game.

What absolutely gets my goat is the premeditated stuff, the narky time wasting, the fake injuries. There are millions of videos of this sort of thing on line and what hurts me is that many of the comments actually applaud these things as “clever” . I sometimes think I exist in a different sporting universe.

There are times when I really pity and also empathise with the difficulties referees face.