Time wasting in football

Phoenix

4 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

I remember reading about Tony Pullis at Stoke and his theory was the opposition can't score if the ball is out of play, so his tactics were to keep the ball out of play as much as possible! That seems to be borne out in the stats in the BBC article above that has a special section on him.

Not forgetting they can't score when the balls in the air...so there's another 30mins of lost time 😁

12 minutes ago, alram said:

because if sean dyche and neil warnock rock up for a game the game could last about 2 hours if you dont reduce the base time of the game

i dont follow rugby so i cant comment on it. 

So what?  If it lasts 2 hours then so be it - Dyche and Warnock would soon change their approach if they felt they weren't getting any advantage (which is why they instruct their teams to do it in the first place)

6 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I don't think anyone (I'm not anyway) would argue about natural breaks in play like throw ins/corners etc being part of the 90 minutes ie that the clock wouldn't stop for them.

I think I would! It does my head in when time wasting players going over to take a corner lose the ability to run, or the team can't quite decide who is actually going to take the corner so the ball is in position by the corner flag but no-one there to take it.

8 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Players can change their behaviours - Joe Wildsmith was a master at time wasting at the start of the season but clearly got a reputation with referees and he doesn't do it nearly as much now

He's had three yellow cards this season so far, of which two were for time wasting and the last of these in October so you are right.

If a yellow is given against a goalkeeper for time wasting it's never for a delay in releasing the ball from their hands, that would result in an interesting but controversial indirect free kick, but is for the delay when taking a goal kick. They can't quite decide which side to take it from or whether their studs are 100% clear of mud, they've tapped the goal post enough times to aid this, rehydrated sufficiently from the bottle they keep etc.

7 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I think I would! It does my head in when time wasting players going over to take a corner lose the ability to run, or the team can't quite decide who is actually going to take the corner so the ball is in position by the corner flag but no-one there to take it.

He's had three yellow cards this season so far, of which two were for time wasting and the last of these in October so you are right.

If a yellow is given against a goalkeeper for time wasting it's never for a delay in releasing the ball from their hands, that would result in an interesting but controversial indirect free kick, but is for the delay when taking a goal kick. They can't quite decide which side to take it from or whether their studs are 100% clear of mud, they've tapped the goal post enough times to aid this, rehydrated sufficiently from the bottle they keep etc.

Good points both. I do think that the rules should apply maximum times to restarts like throw ins/goal kicks/free kicks. I’m not sure what would be reasonable but the broad rule of thumb should be that players should attach the same urgency to restarting the game when their team is 1-0 up as they would when they’re 1-0 down. 

28 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Good points both. I do think that the rules should apply maximum times to restarts like throw ins/goal kicks/free kicks. I’m not sure what would be reasonable but the broad rule of thumb should be that players should attach the same urgency to restarting the game when their team is 1-0 up as they would when they’re 1-0 down. 

The problem is there already is a clear law on the GK having 6 seconds to release the ball, but refs never apply it.

If similar time limits are brought in for other dead ball situations then there would be no point in doing this unless the time limit was upheld.

It would be too difficult for the ref to do this accurately as it happens so often ie to time each event from when the ball is dead until it comes back into play and award free kicks if the time limit broken. Unless they did so every time they couldn't go back to the start of the event, such as a corner seeming to take a long time to be taken, to see actually how long has been taken. And if they got it slightly wrong then managers, pundits etc would have a pop at the ref if the opposition scored from an incorrectly awarded free kick.

One way might be to have an outside official, who doesn't need to be a referee but have a good pair of eyes and a stopwatch, stop-starting the clock, and telling the ref in their ear piece that the team have taken too long to get the ball back into play.

All this would make the game look and feel very different and I'm not sure I'd be a huge fan of it, initially at least! It might be like the back pass rule that when it first came in GKs got very confused and couldn't decide if they could pick up the ball or not, but it all settled down in the end.

45 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

The problem is there already is a clear law on the GK having 6 seconds to release the ball, but refs never apply it.

If similar time limits are brought in for other dead ball situations then there would be no point in doing this unless the time limit was upheld.

It would be too difficult for the ref to do this accurately as it happens so often ie to time each event from when the ball is dead until it comes back into play and award free kicks if the time limit broken. Unless they did so every time they couldn't go back to the start of the event, such as a corner seeming to take a long time to be taken, to see actually how long has been taken. And if they got it slightly wrong then managers, pundits etc would have a pop at the ref if the opposition scored from an incorrectly awarded free kick.

One way might be to have an outside official, who doesn't need to be a referee but have a good pair of eyes and a stopwatch, stop-starting the clock, and telling the ref in their ear piece that the team have taken too long to get the ball back into play.

All this would make the game look and feel very different and I'm not sure I'd be a huge fan of it, initially at least! It might be like the back pass rule that when it first came in GKs got very confused and couldn't decide if they could pick up the ball or not, but it all settled down in the end.

And then there'd be even fewer referees to go around! VAR is already draining the pool of semi-decent refs.

What we actually need is a referees association that trains their referees to do the right thing, then backs them up to do it! 

46 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

On the park and ride bus post match today I was amused to overhear two FGR fans bemoaning Derby's time wasting, but they suppose it is part of the modern game... Strangely I didn't notice it for some reason 🤔

Yeap, our goalie went down like a sack of spuds when the flagged offside player still took his shot.

If that was in the goalies goolies then he’d be down a tad longer me thinks.

Edited by Boycie

21 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Yeap, our goalie went down like a sack of spuds when the flagged offside player still took his shot.

If that was in the goalies goolies then he’d be down a tad longer me thinks.

Wildsmith admitted in his post match interview he did it to waste time. Beginners mistake. Never admit to nuffink 🤦

Whether it's us or the opposition, the time wasting diving and play-acting does my head in to the point I'm on the verge of giving up on football altogether. Just got rid of Sky and BT sports for that reason. It has to be got out of the game somehow. I can't be bothered watching as a neutral any more.

Edited by Needlesh

12 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Whether it's us or the opposition, the time wasting diving and play-acting does my head in to the point I'm on the verge of giving up on football altogether. Just got rid of Sky and BT sports for that reason. It has to be got out of the game somehow. I can't be bothered watching as a neutral any more.

Could have written this myself. I can take Derby not playing very well, I can almost take poor officials, but play acting and time wasting absolutely infuriates me. I don’t go to sit there fuming, it’s not very healthy. I don’t watch the premiership anymore either. 

• 3 weeks later...

This sort of crap is permeating into grass roots football too.  My lad’s team had a game the other week (where they have roll-on/roll-off substitutions) and had the opposing team making a sub every time the ball went out of play, with these kids stopping to pull their socks up and shaking hands with each other every time.  Must have been near 30 subs made - effing did my head in!

How I long for sportsmanship and a bit of honour to come back to football.