Time wasting in football

Phoenix

Watched Pickford last night taking absolutely forever with each goal kick. Blatant time wasting from very early on. Ref should have booked him and put a stop to it. Same with some lad taking throw ins, rub the ball, turn it over, wave to his mates and finally hurl it upfield.

I'm not in favour of stop the clock as I think the whole game will slow down, take it easy , get your breath back, still time for the next attack!

I want Refs to tighten up on all stoppages, 10 seconds for a Goal kick with a multi ball, 10 for a throw in. 20 for a free kick, bit longer for corners but the taker must hustle to get there, not stroll from the other side of the pitch.

Injuries totally up to Ref, but stop for clear injuries only, ; cramp, play on. Kick ball out ;10 seconds throw in rule applies.

5 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Watched Pickford last night taking absolutely forever with each goal kick. Blatant time wasting from very early on. Ref should have booked him and put a stop to it. Same with some lad taking throw ins, rub the ball, turn it over, wave to his mates and finally hurl it upfield.

I'm not in favour of stop the clock as I think the whole game will slow down, take it easy , get your breath back, still time for the next attack!

I want Refs to tighten up on all stoppages, 10 seconds for a Goal kick with a multi ball, 10 for a throw in. 20 for a free kick, bit longer for corners but the taker must hustle to get there, not stroll from the other side of the pitch.

Injuries totally up to Ref, but stop for clear injuries only, ; cramp, play on. Kick ball out ;10 seconds throw in rule applies.

Time-wasting is annoying. I get it. But at the same time, these are top tier athletes who play 3 times a week. You run the risk of injuries the more you push them. And applying a 10 second rule allows for very little time to recover.

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

It was against Leeds so that’s ok ?

What annoys me is that throw ins are fairly well policed, but long throw ins are given as long as you like. It seems that a minute for the left back to wander over to the right hand side, look for the ball, get a towel from the ball boy and then take as long a run up as they can, is acceptable.

But if we're winning and Forsyth can't find anybody to throw to, the yellow card is out after 15 seconds.

On 31/08/2022 at 16:16, Bris Vegas said:

Time-wasting is annoying. I get it. But at the same time, these are top tier athletes who play 3 times a week. You run the risk of injuries the more you push them. And applying a 10 second rule allows for very little time to recover.

I see this argument an awful lot, whether in regards to this or something like fixture congestion. I don't see why it's an issue. All these clubs have the funds to have insanely large squads. If players get tired they can rotate. They can also manage their games so that they aren't constantly sprinting. Maybe drop the high press for 20 minutes if your players are gassed? I suppose that leaves us with the question whether we'd want that as fans. Whilst time wasting is frustrating, the modern game is played at a lightning quick pace for the 55 minutes the ball is actually in play. We'd see an awful lot more (relatively) dull, cagey periods in games if the time the ball was in play was increased.

Edited by Anon

Dear lord! How we've been brainwashed by the constant whinging and whining of managers and players about their intolerable workload.

Tolerating time wasting so that players can have a rest? Is that a serious comment?

Warm up correctly and for the most part you should be ok especially these days when the players have their every move monitored by the little device in their sports bra.

I've said for a long time, the more players get paid the less we appear to expect from them. Football is an entertainment industry and as such has a duty to give value for money to their customers, time wasting does not fall into that requirement.

On 31/08/2022 at 16:08, FindernRam said:

Jesse Marsh heavily criticised Frank Lampard on their timewasting tactics the other night, Sky picked this up, Leeds Vs Everton the ball was more in play than any of Leeds previous other Premier games this season ? 

• 3 weeks later...

Time wasting is acceptable if it’s your team that’s doing it.

Nothing will change that.  I mean, booking a goalie for time wasting wastes more time.  Unless the ref tells the fourth official to add on the time for the booking then it’s ironically a waste of time.

I think the refs simply need to book players more often for it, especially when it starts early.  The Wycombe keeper on Saturday was clearly wasting time from a very early stage and should have been booked.  Also they never really add on the “regulation” 30s per sub do they?

I wouldn’t want to see the clock stopped.

Don't see why we couldn't try a rugby union type system where the time is monitored by the clock, but the on-field referee controls when the clock is stopped by saying "time off" and making a gesture. 

You don't stop the clock for the ball being out of play but subs, injuries or if the ref just "wants a word" he has the discretion to stop the clock. 

2 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

If the time wasting team start losing the ref should have the option not to add on the time. 

It did feel a bit like he did that on Saturday, would have been fuming if we’d only got 4 minutes at 0-1 or 1-1.

In terms of time wasting, I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t encourage our players to do it when leading so think it’s just part of the game at this point. It isn’t clamped down on properly so it will continue to be done. 

3 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

I think the refs simply need to book players more often for it, especially when it starts early.  The Wycombe keeper on Saturday was clearly wasting time from a very early stage and should have been booked.  Also they never really add on the “regulation” 30s per sub do they?

I wouldn’t want to see the clock stopped.

Did you notice when the ball went out directly behind the goal and their defender ran over and kicked it to near the corner flag?

Referee saw it because he had a word with the player. No idea how he could have concluded that it wasn't a booking.