Time wasting in football

Phoenix

5 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Don't see why we couldn't try a rugby union type system where the time is monitored by the clock, but the on-field referee controls when the clock is stopped by saying "time off" and making a gesture. 

You don't stop the clock for the ball being out of play but subs, injuries or if the ref just "wants a word" he has the discretion to stop the clock. 

Don't they do that anyway... just in their own head (or rather on their own private watch) , as opposed to via an official timekeeper?  ?‍♂️

"The referee has indicated a minimum of 4 minutes added time... 4 minutes added time... Added time is brought to you by The Trotter & Harrison Lesser Watch Company.co.yuk" etc...

• 5 months later...

I can't understand why a very clear law of the game is never applied:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it

Versus Fleetwood yesterday it was obvious they tried to slow the game down, as all teams do, and when I looked at the stadium clock to time it a couple of times their goalkeeper held onto the ball for 10 seconds on these occasions.

It would keep the game flowing with the potential for the advantage to the attacking team that should be the case, and stop time wasting in this aspect of the game if the law was applied, but I can't recall ever having seen an indirect free kick for this.

With a lot of other laws applied to the absolute letter this really annoys me!

29 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it

Versus Fleetwood yesterday it was obvious they tried to slow the game down, as all teams do, and when I looked at the stadium clock to time it a couple of times their goalkeeper held onto the ball for 10 seconds on these occasions.

It would keep the game flowing with the potential for the advantage to the attacking team that should be the case, and stop time wasting in this aspect of the game if the law was applied, but I can't recall ever having seen an indirect free kick for this.

Their 2nd goal celebration circa 2mins, Ref pulled them up on several occasions in the 1st half...ending in 4mins added time.

Actual playing time is getting less and less by the second ?

19 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Their 2nd goal celebration circa 2mins, Ref pulled them up on several occasions in the 1st half...ending in 4mins added time.

Actual playing time is getting less and less by the second ?

...and it feels like it as well.

Allowing the GK to hold onto it for too long just allows them to reset and gives the advantage back to the defending team.

An interesting trial is taking place in the US at junior/U21 level , can't remember exactly. If a player is "injured" and goes down on the pitch he is taken out of the game for 3 mins and game restart straight away. That way if somebody has cramps or is hit by a mosquito when their team are winning they have to think about it before sitting down to stop the game.

That’s my pet hate with this league, until referee’s clamp down nothing is going to change. In yesterday’s game the ball seemed to be out of of play more time than in play. 
I also recall in the Lincoln game only about 4 minutes of 10 minutes added was the ball in play.

A keeper holding on to the ball for an extra 4 seconds doesn’t overly bother me to be honest, we waste more time ourselves not showing for throw ins.

It’s not about wasting time as such, it’s more taking pressure off, killing any momentum the opposition are building. That’s why we have players going down feigning injury, you only have to watch what physios actually do when they come on to the pitch to see it’s a load of b*******.

Roll the sock down, give it a quick rub, hand the player a drink, ask him what he’s up to that night. The ref walks over to check and the physio gives the player the all clear. Get’s up, quick shake of the leg seconds later sprinting around the pitch.

I’m not even sure how you stop that, it’s ok giving players a time out, yet what happens when you have a feisty game where genuine injuries occur, you could potentially have 2 or 3 players off the field at the same time. 

Difficult one to fix really.

30 minutes ago, David said:

A keeper holding on to the ball for an extra 4 seconds doesn’t overly bother me to be honest, we waste more time ourselves not showing for throw ins.

It’s not about wasting time as such, it’s more taking pressure off, killing any momentum the opposition are building. That’s why we have players going down feigning injury, you only have to watch what physios actually do when they come on to the pitch to see it’s a load of b*******.

Roll the sock down, give it a quick rub, hand the player a drink, ask him what he’s up to that night. The ref walks over to check and the physio gives the player the all clear. Get’s up, quick shake of the leg seconds later sprinting around the pitch.

I’m not even sure how you stop that, it’s ok giving players a time out, yet what happens when you have a feisty game where genuine injuries occur, you could potentially have 2 or 3 players off the field at the same time. 

Difficult one to fix really.

Easy. Do what rugby do, let them be treated while play carries on.

2 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

It’s very often way more than ten seconds, often over twenty seconds.

Referees at this level are part time and not as fit as premier referees, I think they use this time to have a breather.

All this let’s leave the pitch when we feel like it does me in - take yesterday they score a goal then all 10 outfield players are off the pitch by the corner flag and slowly walk back usually that’s a 3 minute episode if they hurry - the referee should let the other team kick off and attack when they are ready and that will sort that out very quickly. 
Also all this lets feign injury so a physio comes on and everyone leaves the pitch - referee should just whistle to kick off again, not his problem if a team is absent.

I go to football to be entertained for 90 minutes so yes have a clock and stop the clock when the ball is out of play - I actually heard this discussed on TV and one ex player said that you would have to have it set for 60 minutes then - great give me a third of the players wages back as my season ticket is automatically reduced by a third, I think he was missing the point. 

Edited by Sparkle

59 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Easy. Do what rugby do, let them be treated while play carries on.

Ok, so the start of a game where the ref lets the players get away with one or two, a player crunches into Max Bird, nasty one which turns his ankle and needs strapping up. Leaves the pitch, straight after play resumes Hourihane gets wiped out, player gets booked but now he’s out the game as well.

In the space of a minute, 2 reckless tackles, we’re down to 9 men on the pitch. 

Can’t tell me we won’t start seeing “tactical” put players out the game.

You also have the issue where some injuries it’s best not to move the player, head, spine, neck, broken bones. With some of the theatrical stuff that goes on, it’s difficult for a ref to judge what’s gone on.

Let’s not pretend our players never get up to this either, we have had our own fair share of players sat on their arses over the years.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Ok, so the start of a game where the ref lets the players get away with one or two, a player crunches into Max Bird, nasty one which turns his ankle and needs strapping up. Leaves the pitch, straight after play resumes Hourihane gets wiped out, player gets booked but now he’s out the game as well.

In the space of a minute, 2 reckless tackles, we’re down to 9 men on the pitch. 

Can’t tell me we won’t start seeing “tactical” put players out the game.

You also have the issue where some injuries it’s best not to move the player, head, spine, neck, broken bones. With some of the theatrical stuff that goes on, it’s difficult for a ref to judge what’s gone on.

Let’s not pretend our players never get up to this either, we have had our own fair share of players sat on their arses over the years.

Yeah,  two bites at that one and could have been a red.  Yellow as a minimum.

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

It’s very often way more than ten seconds, often over twenty seconds.

Referees at this level are part time and not as fit as premier referees, I think they use this time to have a breather.

PW alluded to that in one of his interviews recently, with regard to refs taking time to explain their reasons for decisions to players during the game really as a cover for them to catch their breath.

There is no incentive for the ref to give an indirect free kick for a GK holding onto the ball for >6s, despite it being in the laws of the game, especially as they can recover during the extra time the GK hangs onto the ball as well.

It just feels from 70 mins onwards if we are chasing a game then opposition deploy the dark arts that really makes it tedious to watch. I know we would do the same as well, but it's a criticism I have of football in general as a 'sport'.

The number of Fleetwood shoe laces that came undone yesterday was incredible. I don't know about the manager making a penalty taker's list, but it also feels like there is a set order players have to go down for treatment in the last 20 mins just to waste time.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The time wasting wasn't really an issue yesterday.  Without it we probably lose 4-0.  I could also probably finish a 3 course meal in the time it takes Smith to complete a throw in so all good.

I recall Smith being booked for time wasting when taking a throw in recently as well. However there is no law of the game specifying how long a player has to take the throw in, unlike the GK releasing the ball.

I'm not expecting the ref to penalise a GK with an accuracy of hundredths of a second and VAR analysing every occasion, however if they can't tell the difference between 10 and 6 seconds then it's a worry.

Watford manager Chris Wilder told BBC Three Counties Radio:

(On opponents going down to break up play which led to his booking): "It's a major problem in the game, and I'm not just saying it because we've drawn. Everybody is recognising it - there are so many calls going into the LMA (League Managers Association).

"I spoke to the referee about it and I'll take the yellow card all day. That's been sorted out already and Shaun [Maloney] has said what he wanted to say.

"It will be happening in 50, 60, 70% of the games played today."

I read this yesterday. Wilder has a point in that it's probably happening in at least half of all games over the weekend. I thought the added on time at the World Cup was a bit silly. But maybe that is the answer in the short-term.

On 19/09/2022 at 16:49, sage said:

I liked the fact that the ref only added 4 minutes. It suggested to me that all the time he would have added on for time wasting he discarded when we took the lead.

But the ref played 8 minuites and 12 seconds added on time,if you were talking the Sheffield United game