Serial Whingers Notts Forest playtime, which we simply cannot accept.

REDCAR

47 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

£44million for Gibbs-White? That's about as much as City paid for Haaland!

Just look at Southampton, Burnley, Watford squads over the years, hardly packed full of household names - doesn't matter how long you stay in the Premier League the vast bulk of your money just gets eaten up in wages. Norwich ran a tight ship, West Brom...they dont have hundreds of millions saved up.

One bad season and you drop down with a fair few players on big wages that no one wants. 

Southampton have been losing money hand over fist in recent seasons, they've raised big money on the likes of Van Dyke and their record signing is Danny Ings at £20m. It's wages that are killing them because, even with the TV handouts, they don't generate enough commercial revenue to bridge the gap. And their ambitions are seemingly more modest than Forest's. 

I'd advise them to be wary of getting carried away with "the project" but they've given us so much expert advice over the last couple of years that I'm sure they've already got that covered.... 

14 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

They’re over £160m now. With Maupay and that french dude to follow plus they’re sniffing around bakayoko from Chelsea could be close to £200m by the time they’re done!! Wow!! Just wow! Don’t think anyone expected them to spend that much, could end up being highest spenders in the league. 

This “should” set them up to finish mid table and secure them possibly for the next couple of years, or it could end up an unmitigated disaster and lead them to significant FFP breaches and financial problems if relegated. How maranakis runs the club will determine which way it goes. If he sticks by Cooper no matter what they may be ok and possibly establish themselves as a mid-lower premier league club, if he goes by his usual MO demands instant results on his investment and gets the trigger finger out it will blow up spectacularly.

Because they’re our rivals I hope it blows up spectacularly for them but I’m more bothered about us and our focus should just be on getting up there with them and the amazing journey we could go on to get there.

I agree. Cooper deserves the full season for the amazing job he did to get them up in the first place.

17 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

It’s not only the fees paid though, the cost of players salaries for the original squad must have increased on promotion. They were rumoured to be paying £25m in wages last season, they must have all had promotion increases, let’s say £5m in total and now if you factor 14 new players at (approx) £50k per week that equates to £35m then there’s the £44.5m signing I would expect him to be getting £100k per week and Lingard @ £200k per week there’s another £16m.

I would put an approximation of wages to now be above £81m and if you consider the fees are in the region of £150m then they have already accounted for next seasons monies too.

Gambling with a football club can sometimes end terribly, as we all know too well.

Their wage bill was £37.2m in 20/21 and it could have only increased last season.

Out: Diallo, Sow, Hefele, Dawson, Murray, Carvalho, Ameobi, Blackett, Ribeiro, Lawrence-Gabriel
In: David, Spence, Drager, Lowe, Garner, Zinckernagel, Cook, Ely, Horvath, Silva, Laryea, Panzo, Surridge, Ojeda

23 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Regardless of what we think, it must be exciting times to be a Gump

But how many are level headed enough, to see what we've been through and are fearing that the numbers don't add up?

That would take the shine off things, I bet most fans would have preferred 3 or 4 key signings to add to their promotion team and see how that goes.

I'm completely split on my thoughts towards Forest's spending spree. On one hand i applaud them for having a go and not accepting relegation like Fulham and Bournemouth have done. On the other i feel sick that they've spent £150m off the back of a play off final where they should've conceded two penalties. 

Even if they go down they'll have the squad to go flying back up (or have a good go). Whereas we can't spend a penny for two seasons and by the time we do meet them again the gulf in quality will be so vast its sickening. 

Just shows you that luck is just as important as skill.

15 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I'm completely split on my thoughts towards Forest's spending spree. On one hand i applaud them for having a go and not accepting relegation like Fulham and Bournemouth have done. On the other i feel sick that they've spent £150m off the back of a play off final where they should've conceded two penalties. 

Even if they go down they'll have the squad to go flying back up (or have a good go). Whereas we can't spend a penny for two seasons and by the time we do meet them again the gulf in quality will be so vast its sickening. 

If they go down they will have sacked Cooper and the new team they’ve spent £150m on will have proved themselves not good enough for the Prem and be unshiftable for anything like what they’ve paid.

56 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Who says Fulham have accepted relegation? They have a better squad than forest

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Fulham have already had two cracks at the Premier League, spending over £150m also.

I’m amazed Forest have done it all in one go.

Villa also spent big on their first season back, but they had a far better squad.

Forest needed to spend, but to the extent they have is quite shocking.

They are still among the worst teams in the league on paper. 

Fulham will be thinking Mitrovic is better than Awoniyi, Palhinha is better than O’Brien, Pereira and Kebano are better than Johnson and Lingard, Robinson is better than Neco Williams and Toffolo etc.

Cooper will deserve great credit if he can keep them up. But I’m certain they will go down.

22 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not sure about all of the comments about insanity and insane decision making.....worst case for them if they get relegated then they'll get about 150 million just for parachute payments, they'll have the best squad in the Championship by a country mile and huge earners like Lingard will be off their books anyway 

something i read said that parachute payments something like 45, 30 and 15m. How many of the players will have relegation exit clauses in their contracts? Or did they really join NFFC for the view of some faded 45 year old photos of glory and Trevor Francis' tatty old jock strap? ?

22 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

It’s not only the fees paid though, the cost of players salaries for the original squad must have increased on promotion. They were rumoured to be paying £25m in wages last season, they must have all had promotion increases, let’s say £5m in total and now if you factor 14 new players at (approx) £50k per week that equates to £35m then there’s the £44.5m signing I would expect him to be getting £100k per week and Lingard @ £200k per week there’s another £16m.

I would put an approximation of wages to now be above £81m and if you consider the fees are in the region of £150m then they have already accounted for next seasons monies too.

Gambling with a football club can sometimes end terribly, as we all know too well.

Bang on. There seem to be a lot of people labouring under the illusion that once you sign a player he plays for free. They don't just hand you a large cheque the second you get promoted, and even if they did it still has to take into account player wages, promotion bonuses, increased agents fees and paying off the debt you accrued by simply striving to get to the 'promised land'.

If being promoted meant guaranteed wealth forever then I can't work out how Bolton, Pompey, Stoke et al got into the state they did.

Forest fans will be loving this summer and I find it hard to blame them for a second.

It's been a long time since they have been in the top flight and have gone out spending a shed load of money in a bid to stay up.

Only time will tell if it's been money well spent or not.

If it does, they have a great platform to build on, if not they have parachute payments and a few loans out to Greece and in a strong position to bounce back.

It's not like they have thrown away a decent team and replaced the lot, they wasn't left with much after the loans departed. £100m summer was always on the cards.

Some of the money could have been spent better, Wolves and Lingard's agent have had their pants down.

Roles reversed, we would be loving it as well, as we were in the summer of 14/15 all aboard HMS Piss the league, what we didn't have was any kind of parachute payments to fall back on when it failed.

The example Forest fans need to keep in mind is Stoke. 10 seasons in the PL, very comfortable, some top half league finishes, an FA Cup Final, some major signings along the way. Then one bad season and relegated. But not to worry, our owners are fans who are worth billions, we've got parachute payments, we'll be straight back up..... 

54 minutes ago, David said:

Forest fans will be loving this summer and I find it hard to blame them for a second.

It's been a long time since they have been in the top flight and have gone out spending a shed load of money in a bid to stay up.

Only time will tell if it's been money well spent or not.

If it does, they have a great platform to build on, if not they have parachute payments and a few loans out to Greece and in a strong position to bounce back.

It's not like they have thrown away a decent team and replaced the lot, they wasn't left with much after the loans departed. £100m summer was always on the cards.

Some of the money could have been spent better, Wolves and Lingard's agent have had their pants down.

Roles reversed, we would be loving it as well, as we were in the summer of 14/15 all aboard HMS Piss the league, what we didn't have was any kind of parachute payments to fall back on when it failed.

The cash spent, wages, promotion bonuses and wage increase to existing contracts. 

Cash on promotion and parachutes all gone.  probably at least twice the amount to be honest. 

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

If they go down they will have sacked Cooper and the new team they’ve spent £150m on will have proved themselves not good enough for the Prem and be unshiftable for anything like what they’ve paid.

Like it or not the squad will also walk the championship

people laugh at Fulham but they’re spending spree allowed them to bounce back with ease twice. normally if you spend so much you don’t tend to go back down and linger.

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The cash spent, wages, promotion bonuses and wage increase to existing contracts. 

Cash on promotion and parachutes all gone.  probably at least twice the amount to be honest. 

Burnley received £104m last season in Premier League payments alone.

They will be fine, which sounds daft but highlights the gap between Premier League and Championship.

The Premier League are talking about reducing parachute payments, but even a worst case for Forest it won't come in straight away and effect them next year.

17 minutes ago, David said:

Burnley received £104m last season in Premier League payments alone.

They will be fine, which sounds daft but highlights the gap between Premier League and Championship.

The Premier League are talking about reducing parachute payments, but even a worst case for Forest it won't come in straight away and effect them next year.

I just can't see that all I'm afraid.  Bonus payments on promotion, existing large and massively increasing wages on long contracts.  Pushing 200 million in transfers by next week, agent fees etc etc.  If they go down their buggered.  They might not but lets hope so. 

12 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I just can't see that all I'm afraid.  Bonus payments on promotion, existing large and massively increasing wages on long contracts.  Pushing 200 million in transfers by next week, agent fees etc etc.  If they go down their buggered.  They might not but lets hope so. 

Some of these fees will be including addons. Transfermarkt has them down as £133m spent so far, recouping £4.5m in sales.

Players like Gibbs White and Williams are young and if relegated could easily bring in £30m+ even after an average season up there.

Lingard would be off the wage bill.

You're looking at break even then with parachute payments softening the blow with wages for the rest. 

Kieran Maguire when asked thought they would be fine.