Gareth Southgate

Day

Just now, Rammy03 said:

One bad game and he's sacked? Wasn't even close to our strongest team. 

It's not one bad game. Our football has been poor for months, we play defensive s**** against teams we should be blowing away on a regular basis. With the players available we should be dominating matches, on top of this, we lost 4-0 to Hungary. That alone is a sackable offense, frankly. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's not one bad game. Our football has been poor for months, we play defensive s**** against teams we should be blowing away on a regular basis. With the players available we should be dominating matches, on top of this, we lost 4-0 to Hungary. That alone is a sackable offense, frankly. 

You have a short memory. We thrashed Hungary 4-0 away in the qualifiers, 5-0 against Andorra and Albania. I could go on. Yes I agree the football at times is boring, too much passing about the back, not enough playing forwards with pace and energy. 

4 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

You have a short memory. We thrashed Hungary 4-0 away in the qualifiers, 5-0 against Andorra and Albania. I could go on. Yes I agree the football at times is boring, too much passing about the back, not enough playing forwards with pace and energy. 

Sounds like Derby tbh, but without the depth of squad 

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

I thought the selections for these games had a random feeling about them, and the performances reflect that. Whether he'll learn from the mistakes, and decide to actually play to the squad's strengths (and play in-form players) remains to be seen. It's too late to change managers before the World Cup anyway and I really don't see an obvious candidate who's likely to have a positive impact with only two warm-up games before the competition. He's got to do something to put this right if he wants to win back the fans, so we can only hope he recognises that. 

Step forward England's saviour:

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

And I bet no one is calling for your manager to go.

Untouchable for now... Zidane is desperate for the job but Deschamp ain't going anywhere. This being said after what happened at the Euros he 'll be gone after the WC. Either he wins it and he ll have done it twice or we don't and he'll have been there 10 years so time to go

To be fair, these matches replace friendlies which would have been used to experiment with anyway (as WC is later this year). On the other hand, fans have paid good money to watch what was dished up last night. Short term pain for long term gain? Hopefully.

I get that he's experimenting with new players in the side etc. but come on. He had a squad with a player that has just won the Scudetto and has been one of the top centre backs in Serie A this season and didn't play him at all. He chose a Man City 3rd choice and Crystal Palace rookie and then brought on the most out of form waste of space in England when Stones was sent off. In other matches he's gone with Coady, who looks good for an average Wolves side, but isn't a top-level defender.

Saka and Bowen in the same starting XI and playing the better player out of position...

Kalvin Phillips is now showing his true self and his limitations.

No actual left backs meant we were so one-sided for the majority of the game and easy to read and stop.

Just an absolute horror show.

13 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Get rid of him while there's still enough time for a new manager to get to know the players he's got to work with.

Full House Reaction GIF   Get rid of him and replace him with who?

The Euro final v Italy summed Southgate up. We take the lead, no drama, then he goes all defensive and don't even get me started on the penalty subs.

He's a FA yes man who got lucky with soft groups and somehow qualified through to knock-out stages by playing piss-poor, (with the exception of a single decent display v Germany).

Get rid, (but it won't happen).

Edited by Grumpy Git

I don't think Southgate is a particularly good manager, but honestly managing England is more like running a creche than coaching football. Southgate is pretty good at keeping the prima donnas happy, but they let him down last night. A significant proportion were already on holiday.

8 minutes ago, Anon said:

I don't think Southgate is a particularly good manager, but honestly managing England is more like running a creche than coaching football. Southgate is pretty good at keeping the prima donnas happy, but they let him down last night. A significant proportion were already on holiday.

As they should be! Ridiculous having internationals at this point with no tournament football this summer.

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Delivered some of the best tournament performances in our history and half the country is calling him to get the sack.

If he'd done for Derby what he's done for England people would be calling for a statue.

Results, not performances. 

You can sometimes achieve the one without the other. 

However as you know my job is based around statistics and perhaps what we are seeing is a reversion to the mean. 

If we play enough games in broadly the same way then we'll get a few outliers but on the whole a series of either narrow wins or narrow defeats. 

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Delivered some of the best tournament performances in our history and half the country is calling him to get the sack.

If he'd done for Derby what he's done for England people would be calling for a statue.

Interested to know which performances you think have been some of the best in our history under him?

The most complete was probably the 4-0 win over Ukraine or the 2-0 win over Sweden in 2018.

Which others? The Germany result was good but it was still a 50-50 game (Germany arguably had the clearer chances prior to Kane finishing it off) and they were not a patch on their 2010-14 side.

The scrapped past Colombia on penalties, needed extra time (and a dodgy penalty) to beat Denmark. Had slender wins at home over Croatia and Czechs. Who am I missing?

Southgate hasn’t performed any better than Sven IMO. The only difference being under Sven we came across better opposition earlier in the tournaments.

And many argue we have a better squad now than we did between 2002-06. I don’t agree with that by the way.